Your Favorite Formative Assessment Strategies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maya5250, Jul 20, 2010.

1. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

What are your favorite formative assessment tools that you used or would like to use in the future?

I heard about the bull's eye strategy in which the students place on a stickers on a concentric circular level based on their level of comfort for a certain topic.

For instance, before teaching a lesson on the ecosystem, if students feel great about their understanding of ecosystems and populations, they can put their sticker on the bull's eye ("in the zone"). If they feel comfortable, they can place their sticker on the concentric circle close to the bull's eye (e.g. "comfort zone"). If they were completely uncomfortable, they can place their stickers in the most outer circle (e.g. "twilight zone").After a couple of lessons, the students can come back and placed stickers of a different color to indicate their level of growth on the bull's eye.

3. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

4. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

Thanks

5. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jul 21, 2010

My FAVORITE book of the moment is Page Keeley's Formative Assessment Strategied for Science. It's available from NSTA.

You could use her stuff for any content.

Some examples are here: http://science-class.net/FACTS/facts.htm

6. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

:thumb::wow: This is great! I made a copy and will also post it on our Teacher Resource drive in school. I also learned there is a name for an activity I already use in my class - Carousel Brainstorming! I'm brilliant and never knew it!:lol:

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Anything that Page Keely has done on formative assessment is wonderful. I have several of her formative probes in my science classes. There are some samples in the Google folder that I put up. If you teach science, then be sure to try some of these out. The books are also available through NATA.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2010

Great--glad you were able to find things you could use. I am just curious did you get only the folder on formative assessments or more folders.

9. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 21, 2010

Only the formative assessments folder was shown.

10. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

Once I get to know the kids well, and they are comfortable in my class I use thumbs up (if you completely understant), thumbs sideways (if you're still a little confused), or thumbs down (if you're totally lost). It super quick and easy to see as a whole class. You can have the kids put their heads down with eyes closed too, if you think that would make them more honest.

I also use a "Ticket Out The Door" question or questions sometimes. If they do well, I know they are ready to move on. If not it lets me easily see what we need to go over. I use either index cards or post its, and the kids hand it to me as they leave. It also lets me see specifically who I need to work with as well.

Sometimes I have them draw the bulls eye you were talking about on the card and mark where they are.

I've found that, until they get used to it, the more private you make their responses the better. Especiallly in middle school, peer pressure is rough.

11. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Jul 21, 2010

This is exactly what I do! Works great!