Your Favorite Classroom Decorations

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wann2119, Aug 22, 2008.

1. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Aug 22, 2008

I just started teaching 3 yr olds one month ago. Right now I am still trying to get my room in order and make it a happy place to be. We have no windows, so I rely on bright colors to keep me happy. :) I am loving coming up with new things to hang on the walls, and I was wondering what your favorite classroom decorations and organizing solutions are.

Right now, my favorite thing is this schedule I made. It has pictures for the kids and words for the adults, so everyone knows what we are doing. It hands vertically beside our door and with each new activity I move an arrow down. The parents and kids love it.

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

Right now, because it is the newest thing I have done, I love my "Our wall of words" wall. I do not have a ton of space in my room, in fact, it is very, very small, and so I am trying to make the most of my walls. Anywho....My P brought me an amazing piece of fabric yesterday...it has school buses along th etop, and children with various words along the bottom. It is black fabric, with really colorful crayons all over it, and I am using pieces of white sentence strips to put up the words we learn. It is beautiful, and if my camera wasn't trying to make me crazy, I would post a picture. Once it is fixed, I will! I love it! :)

4. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

Sounds great and you just gave me an idea! I've been sitting here all night trying to think of a way to make a bulletin board in my room. I need a bright color to spruce up the beige walls. Our school only has white and brown rolls of paper...not exactly bright. I'm going fabric hunting tomorrow! Now I just have to figure out how to attach it to the wall. I don't actually have a bulletin board. I just want it to appear that I do.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 23, 2008

I didn't have enough bulletin boards in my room last year, so I created one by just hanging paper (or fabric) on a blank wall with boarder around in... I stapled stuff in to the wall, but check that you're allowed before you do ;)

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 23, 2008

my classroom is the BUSY BEES so I coordinated my bulletin boards and curtains as well as my circle time wall around that. I made curtains out of material I found at Walmart. They have very colorful bumble bees and other bugs on a white background for valences and the panels are pale yellow and white small checkered--like ginham--- and the tie backs match the valences. My bulletin board backgrounds are solid colors that I matched to the different colors in my curtains. And they have borders that either have bees in them somewhere. My circle time wall has a bee hive with bees for attendance, honey pots with bumble bees for jobs. My name tags on the tables are plain white with yellow border. Right now My favorite bulletin board is my birthday board. I cut out the words birthday blessings with my cri-cut machine and glued them onto white paper in the shape of a cloud. The background is blue. I cut out balloons with my cri-cut and put the month and day on them and the names on bee accents that I bought from TREND. I put white yard form the bee to the corresponding birthday, so it looks like the bees are holding onto the balloons. The border is a plaid print that looks like birthday wrapping paper and has the smae colors in it that my curtains do.

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

My theme is frogs and I made a lily pad by putting a neon green tissue paper (crumpled up) inside a large clear plastic bowl and hot glued lilies around the bowl and one inside it. It came out really cute. The children will check in by placing their frog (labeled with their name) into the bowl.
    I also bought a few pretty plants that I will put in my discovery center and place a small box there that the children can put things from nature that they collect on their way to school (leaves, acorns, etc.) I will leave out several magnifying glasses that they can use to explore the items.
    In my dramatic play center, I put a pretty fall tablecloth on the table and placed a bowl of plastic fruit on it. It looks more homely. Also, when we do our unit on apples, I will make an apple tree by designing the tree with bulletin board paper and using velcro to attach the plastic apples to the tree. I will leave a basket and cash register in the center for the children to go "apple picking".
    Finally, someone on this site posted a picture of their classroom that had an awesome tree in it (made with bulletin board paper) that I plan on re-creating in my classroom this week.

8. rosew

rosew Companion

Aug 24, 2008

ttmor

HI..do you have the website of the tree bulletin board..I want to do family tree in our room with bulletin board or brown paper..but I need visuals..I love the idea of fabric back ground..I wish I had a theme to tie everything together but this is my first year so maybe next year..

rose

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 24, 2008

10. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

Here is where I am copying the tree:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29583478@N04/

11. rosew

rosew Companion

Aug 24, 2008

I love the rainbow idea..thanks...and I love the Horton hears a Who room..I had seen it before..If I knew I was definantly going to have a class a couple of weeks ago I would have spent my summer doing that elephant ..I loved it

rose