Your favorite children's books and why??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by alielizadubois, Sep 1, 2007.

1. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I am an ESL teacher in New York City. I teach ELLs in grades 3-5. I am looking for some great books to add to my library/collection that are age and level appropriate for children ages 8-12 who range in English ability from early beginner to practically proficient.

I am interested in easy yet interesting chapter books, great age appropriate picture books, multicultural stories and authors, wonderful non-fiction, books that my children from around the world can relate to .... basically anything!

Suggest away!

Thanks!!!

3. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 2, 2007

Nobody has anything to share??

4. missred4190

missred4190 Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

I don't have much of a collection of books for these grade levels, unfortunately. Let me look through my library. I don't know if what I come up with will help you out, but I can give you some suggestions.

5. knitchic

knitchic Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

I really love Bob Graham's picture books, including "Max" "Let's get a Pup", and "Queenie". His illustrations show families outside the norm, and kids of all ages really love the stories.

6. alielizadubois

alielizadubois Companion

Sep 3, 2007

Thank you both.

I hope people aren't misinterpreting my question. I don't NEED the books to be multicultural stories, just suggestions would be appreciated. What I really want to know is what everyone's favorite chapter/picture books are for this grade level.

Thanks!

7. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Sep 3, 2007

for picture books, you can't go wrong with David Shannon. i LOVE everything he does. "bad case of stripes" is one i pull out every year to show that we are different from each other and all like different things.

crow boy is about a chinese/japanese child who travels from a long distance to go to school and everyone picks on him. in the end he is seen differently. this is an older book and students might not pick it up on their own. but i read it last year and my class loved it.

i have a hank aaron book that my african american students love...it's a children's book...i can't think of the exact name of it. there's also a MLK book that is amazing. my 3rd graders also loved hearing stories about the underground railroad...i read it during black history month. they were very interested in the mason dixon line and how missouri was a slave state (or part of it).

chapter books i love are: sideways stories from wayside school series, tuck everlasting, holes, the giver, the whipping boy, freak the mighty (might have SOME language that's slightly inappropriate...i just skip the words because it's a great story).

that's all i can think of right now.
    have fun reading!
    LC

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2007

I have some that I personally love, but I teach high school so I don't often use these books for teaching, although I have used some of them before!

The Dot
    Walter the Farting Dog
    Something about I Want a Lizard... something like that.

For chapter books, I love Junie B and Ramona.

9. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Sep 3, 2007

I love Rovert Munsch books. They are so much fun. The kids laugh hysterically. The pictures are great too because they always have tons of detail and you see something different every time you look at them.

10. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Sep 4, 2007

Two of my favorites that I always read to my class are....
    Because of Winn Dixie and The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 4, 2007

I'm a high school teacher, too, but my favorite children's book is Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type

12. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2007

Love "The Best Christmas Pagaent Ever" "Shiloh" "Junie B" books "Charlotte's Web" "Superfudge"

I would definitely get poetry books, jumprope chants "Anna Banana", tongue twister books.

"Tuck Everlasting" and "Holes" (outstanding books) would probably be too hard for ESOL.

When I was a kid, though, I loved fairy tales. My kids in 5th enjoy revisiting them and discussing events from a different character's viewpoint. Jack, to the giant, was a thief and ended up being a killer. Hansel and Gretel were vandals and juvenile delinquents.

(Sorry, forgot to spellcheck)

13. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 5, 2007

My bilingual 2nd graders were quite high and they adored Superfudge, Double Fudge, and the other Judy Blume books for ESL. With my 5th graders i still like using picture books to help them with idioms... my favorites are "Prince Cinders" by Babette Cole (lots of hilarious plays on words), "Duck for President" by Doreen Cronin, Kevin Henkes books, and "The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales" by Jon Scieszka. The books my ESL students tend to pick on their own are Goosebumps, Junie B. Jones, Magic Tree House, and Geronimo Stilton.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 7, 2007

I teach 5th grade, and reading is my forte. So, I don't have one, I have MANY. Some that I do every single year are: A Year Down Yonder, The Skin I'm In, anything by Andrew Clements, the Hatchet series, anything by Shelley Pearsall. As I said, I have too many to list. I try to expose my kids to all different books and genre. Hope this helps!

15. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 8, 2007

I love Click Clack Moo, No, David, There's a Nightmare in my Closet, and any Mercer Meyer books.

16. rogue0208

rogue0208 Companion

Sep 8, 2007

I'm 1st grade, so I don't know if these would be appropriate for your kids, but I LOVE the Tacky the Penguin books: Tacky the Penguin, Tacky and the Emperor, Tackylocks and the Three Bears, Three Cheers for Tacky, and Tacky in Trouble. Right now, my daughter, who is in 2nd grade, but reads 1 level above, is reading Junie B. Jones and the American Girl books. I love that the American Girl books are historical. She's been asking me about 1904 and the 1800's. :haha:

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 8, 2007

That's a hilarious book, but I just don't think I have the heart to put that in my classroom library.

Yes, David Shannon books are awesome.

I'm not a 3-5 teacher, so most of my books would not be on the chapter book level. But, think of the strategies these kids use to read. They need lots of labels. Non-fiction books with labels and pictures are great. My kids are OBSESSED with dinosaur books and most of these are not even close to being at a k level, but they just look at the pictures.