Your experiences with learning management systems?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by geoteacher, Nov 14, 2015.

1. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 14, 2015

My district is looking to roll out a system K-12 within the next year. We are considering Blackboard, Schoology, Canvas, Itslearning, and Haiku. I would love to hear about your experiences with any of these.

What did you like or dislike?
    Were there any aspects of your system that were particularly cumbersome?
    How well does your LMS interface with your student information system?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 14, 2015

I've used Pilot and Blackboard as a student, Blackboard and WebEx (just for distance teaching of live sessions) as a teacher. WebEx doesn't allow for monitoring of private chats but is excellent for posting PDFs and other content directly to the whiteboard. Blackboard has the most comprehensive platform with live meeting space and asynchronous chat. The only major drawback is that pushing out synchronous videos to students can be very slow depending upon their own connection speeds. A minor drawback is that inability to post anything other than PowerPoints and images (I've found a program that allows me to convert documents to jpg files, so that's a workable issue).

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Nov 14, 2015

How well did they integrate with your student information system? Was it possible to pull information from your grade book and to dump grade back in? That is something my district definitely wants to see.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2015

We have Schoology in the middle school. Grades 3 and 4 will be using soon.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 15, 2015

We use systems created specifically for our school, so I do not have enough experience as a teacher on that system to know. As a student who used Blackboard, I believe that was the case, but I'm not sure.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Nov 15, 2015

I used Blackboard in college, and I found it easy to navigate.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Nov 16, 2015

I used blackboard as a student, and one big con about it is after I have completed an assignment, there is no way for me to check it off as completed. The next time I open it up, I have to remember what I haven't completed yet. But it seems easy to distribute assignments for completion.

I received training on Haiku, and I like that it seems a lot like Facebook, which students are familiar with. It seemed limited with the ability to synchronize with our grading system (PowerSchool).

I also received training on Canvas, and I liked it the best. Many other teachers at my site agree. They said it synchronizes with PowerSchool, but I was a bit wary. It seems the most flexible, and can sync with many programs, especially Google Drive (which I currently use).

California recently paid for Canvas to be used by public schools and colleges throughout the state.

9. dgebhart

dgebhart Rookie

Nov 20, 2015

I use canvas frequently because Project Lead the Way uses it. Its not the most user friendly system, but it can do everything I ask of it and way more. I like how it integrates well with google docs and such, at least until google classroom does everything I want.