Your experience on getting waxes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

I found an esthetician on yelp in my town with really great reviews. So, I decided to ask for a full leg and bikini watch for my birthday in August, which will be perfect right before my BM camping trip.

So, a couple of quick questions:
    How much does it hurt? (She uses cold wax)
    How long does it last? (this will be my first time, will that make a difference?)
    Does your hair begin to grow in differently over time? (such as get more sparse, slower growth)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

I have another question to add to yours - does it matter how long or short your hair is when you go in?

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2011

Good question. According to the girl's website that I plan to go to, she said to not shave two weeks before your appointment. I think I heard the hair needs to be 1/4 long.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 12, 2011

I was reading Cosmo today and it said not to have caffeine before you wax. Something about it making your nerves more sensitive.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 13, 2011

Have done this once, only my legs, so I do not know about pain factor elsewhere. My legs did not hurt much at all, all things considered. On a scale of 1-10, I would say a solid 5. I am a heinz 57 variety of french, german, italian, and native american descent. My hair grows VERY quickly and I did not have to shave for almost 3 weeks following the wax. I do not know about the hair growth post -multiple waxings, as I have only done that once. I did not shave for 2 1/2 weeks prior to the wax.
    The only reason I did it at the time was that I received a gift certificate for a waxing or a piercing of my choice. :eek: I already had my ears peirced and couldn't think of anything else to get pierced...so there you have it. The story of the time I got my legs waxed. :) (By the way, it took forever!!!! I am 6'3" mostly legs, you do the math. :lol: )

7. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 13, 2011

It doesn't hurt that badly, at least in my experience. I've had friends say otherwise. One time the esthetician told me, "Wow! You're good. I've had ladies yell curse words at me before!"
    It will probably last around 10-15 minutes. It'll go by fast, especially if you're talking with her. But yes, it's a little weird to have a casual conversation while she's looking around down there (when you consider the fact that she's not a doctor).

8. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 13, 2011

I take a Motrin about 30 minutes before and it helps. I only do the bikini when I'm going on vacation and it does hurt. However it did subside quickly.