Your Expectations For This Year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DigitalDiva25, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Aug 23, 2012

What's your expectations for this school year? :)

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 23, 2012

It will be the best and worst first year ever.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I'm expecting changes...new Common Core curriculum, new teacher evaluation schedule...I'm excited about continuing to work with my colleagues in our PLC..Im also taking on a coaching opportunity to work with other teachers in their classrooms. I'm expecting 21 pairs of bright shining eyes, smiles and excitement on September 6. I'm expecting to continue with learning and growing as professionals with my colleagues. :)

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I'm not sure.

At home I expect it to be a bit crazy as we juggle the schedules of 5 different schools for 5 people. The holidays will be bittersweet, in particular Christmas, as we deal with the first anniversary of the death of Peter's mom.

School will, God willing, be blessedly normal once again. We had a brutally rough year 2010-2011 with the loss of 6 faculty members. Last year we didn't have a single school funeral to go to-- it's my hope that this year is similarly uneventful.

We have only one new teacher this year, so things should proceed smoothly. The overwhelming majority of us should be comfortable with the routines and expectations.

As far as my own classes go, I'm looking forward to starting a new year. I love teachng, and love my school. I'm teaching Geometry again, and want to approach things slightly differently than in the past, so I'm looking forward to getting started.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I look forward, with some nervousness, to a very different teaching assignment this year. I love my teaching partner; we'll work very well together.

On the home front, I'm not look forward to the first school year in 17 years that I won't have a student at home.

7. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

It's my first year, and I expect that I will give it everything I have. I expect that I will not be the perfect teacher, but that at the end of the year I will be able to say that I truly tried my hardest. I expect that I will be continually reevaluating my practices and changing what I'm doing to best meet the needs of my kids, to get them to learn and to love learning, and to turn them into READERS! :) I expect that it will be an incredibly challenging, exhilarating, frustrating, exhausting, exciting, and wonderful year.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

It's going to be tough. I have a feeling there's going to be some conflict between my co-teacher and I. We're getting a good class, but one extremely troubled student who I'm thinking will be challenging at times. We're also getting some very low non-classified children. At least the 3rd grade state test will be easier to prepare for compared to 4th grade and there will be no science test. But it's a new grade for me so I'm learning all new standards after spending a year and a half really looking at 4th grade. But even with all that said I'm really, really looking forward to the start of the school year.

9. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I am really excited for this year. It's my first time teaching geometry, which I love, so that's going to be a lot of fun. I'm also coteaching an algebra class, which I'm also happy about. I spoke with my coteacher and know that we'll work well together. She has really wonderful ideas and is doing everything she can to make this work well. She's even giving up her prep period to sit in on an Algebra 2 class to improve her math skills! I'll also be incorporating more group work when I feel that it's beneficial, so that should be interesting. Also, it's my second year in this school and my fourth year teaching so I finally feel like I know what I'm doing. :)

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2012

I'm teaching a new subject again this year, so I expect to work very hard again this year. School didn't do as well as usual on the state testing so we're freaking out a bit.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 23, 2012

I'm so excited. It's going to be a challenge with the entirely new context. I am changing grades, student population, and schools. Also moving from gen ed to SPED. It's like my first year, Part 2. I hope I love it and I can look forward to year 3 at this school where I'll know what to expect/tweak. :)

Fortunately there is so much new for everyone that veteran teachers are lost too, so I feel like it's a good year to come in.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I don't know quite what to expect this year. More than half of our admin team is new to the school this year, so I'm thinking that there are going to be many changes. I hope that the changes will be positive ones.

13. Mellz Bellz

Mellz Bellz Comrade

Aug 23, 2012

Good question! Hmm... I'm not quite sure what to expect this year. We have a new P who is completely opposite from our old P. She seems much more rigid and strict which I haven't decided how I feel about yet. She has made a few changes in the way our classes are scheduled. Instead of having 4 90 minute blocks we are having 5 70 minute blocks. We also have a ton of new staff in the building and two new teachers in 6th grade.

I think my kids may be a little more challenging this year. I think I'm going to have slightly more behavior issues than last year and my kids are overall going to be performing at a much lower level than last year. I'm also coteaching Math with a different teacher this year who doesn't have much patience for the Sp Ed kids. She still lives in the old school that if they can't keep up they need to be somewhere else.

As many schools are doing we are beginning to implement Common Core which should be interesting. I've also been elected to represent the Sp Ed dept in SIT team this year. So a lot of exciting changes up ahead. i'm just hoping to have another positive year.

14. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 23, 2012

I expect a good year. I already know all of my seniors, and I met most of my freshmen last night at orientation. They seemed like a nice group, so hopefully they will stay that way.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 23, 2012

I'm looking forward to teaching my favorite grade-level once again: 2nd!

I'm also looking forward to going to several Common Core trainings this school year. My district wants to fully implement it by next year.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2012

It's going to be rough. I was excited and prepared to teach HS Gov't but found out this week I am teaching 6th & 7th grade Social Studies. This has me very upset and its hard to get excited about teaching 6th & 7th again. I have taught MS for 5 years and I need a change.

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 24, 2012

What is it about MS you don't like?

Did you ask why you won't get to teach HS as you thought?

18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 25, 2012

I'm excited to be working in the district I wanted to work in at a school that at first glance has an amazing community, and staff. I'm apprehensive because it is my first year, and I am simultaneously worried that I have a lot of expectations to meet, or that because it's my first year, sometimes their expectations for me aren't high enough. I'm also apprehensive because I've never really worked in this kind of community before. It's terrible to say it, but I'm used to checked out parents who don't care, and students who are dealing with really crazy stuff in their life. This school is more suburban. I don't really know how to act.

I'm also freaking out because I want this year to be perfect. I know, it's an unrealistic expectation, but I'm going to stretch myself so much in terms of perfecting classroom management, and building amazing curriculum and routines in my classroom. I want to really show my school that I am more than just an enthusiastic teacher, but I am also a strong teacher.

19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Aug 25, 2012

I think my new school has high expectations for me because the person who had the position before me was great. But I am just going to do my own thing, and I'm expecting a very hard year, but a memorable first year that I will look back on and not regret much.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

This year I really want to start getting all of my information for SPED meetings a week before the meeting, and to get more information out of the teachers.

21. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2012

I don't like the age group. My personality fits better teaching older, more mature kids. I don't like having to baby and coddle, which is all I feel like I'm doing when I teach MS. And if I have to teach MS, I would prefer to teach 8th grade again (which is US History), not 6th and 7th grade.

Our MS are wild comapred to our HS, who are no angels but not as out-of-control. Last year, our 6th graders ran things: walking out of classes, running the halls, cursing people out, brawling, etc. So I know that they want me in MS to help control the 7th graders and ensure that our new 6th graders don't get to that point. Also, Admin has changed positions and the new MS Principal knows me well, so I'm sure they want me to help manage behavior.

22. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 25, 2012

:thumb: While it is not my first year, you succinctly stated how I feel too!

23. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2012

I think it will be a crazy year.

I am president of my union this year. Seriously, the complaints I have heard so far are enough to make me want to pull my hair out and the kiddos haven't even come back yet. I didn't realize people would be so co-dependent on me. Some things are not that hard to figure out. I want to sound like I am supportive and helpful, but some of the questions I have gotten are downright stupid, not to mention that there is a whole chain of command of building reps, etc., before they get to me, but no, they email me directly.

I might be starting a doctoral program this year, and the only reason I would do that to myself is that our district is cutting all reimbursement to teachers after this year unless we are already grandfathered into a program, so I feel like I have to start this year.

We are supposed to be rewriting our ELA curriculum this year and our dept chair is getting ready to retire at the end of the year and has no idea what she is doing, so for my own sanity, I found myself volunteering to make up a plan for getting that done as well.

And then, oh yeah, I kind of wanted to get married next year.

I'll be out in October for a week for Disney - super excited about that. I might need the break for the beginning of this hectic year.

Honestly, what I am actually doing with the kids isn't even on my radar right now, and that really makes me sad, but I am being pulled in so many directions outside of the classroom.

24. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 25, 2012

I am expecting to survive dealing with a CRAZY administration!

And to enjoy every minute I can with my wonderful 2nd graders.