Your Eccentricities?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 3, 2006.

1. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

I fold my towels in thirds the long way(or the hot dog way). Than fold in thirds again. I can't stand it any other way. That is all my mom's fault.

I have had a betta fish named Melvin for ever. I just keep naming the new fish melvin. Well my sister gave me a girl betta so I had to name her Melvina.

2. teach2004

teach2004 Companion

Jul 6, 2006

My husband and I have had this same fight.:p I'm very picky about my towels and my washcloths. They all have to be folded a certain way. I'm also picky about my bed. It has to be made before I will get in it. Sometimes I make the bed right before I get in it.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

I eat the candy shell around the M & M first... it's definitely a skill:D

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 6, 2006

I eat my cereal dry, too. The thought of milk touching it makes me cringe. No sugar, either. Crunch, crunch, crunch. . . .

My ONLY other idiosyncracy is my obsession with the perfection, beauty, logic, and whimsy of our language.

(Unless you would count my inability to stay in a room if there are people singing off-key in it. . . .)

(Or people singing the wrong words.)

(Mondegreens are funny only when you're not in the room. . . .)

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2006

I do that with Ho-Ho's, Ding Dong's, any kind of cookie cake thing.

6. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2006

Oh gosh...this is such a can for me! These are mine off the top of my head....
    1. I use ONLY blue pens (Pentel, fine point) and papermate (yellow) mechanical #.7 pencils
    2. Clothes facing the left in the closet
    3. Everything on my desk has to be at a right angle, no messy piles or uneven stacks.
    4. Books on my shelves go from tallest to shortest. They stick out like sore thumbs if they are uneven.
    5. Cans facing front in the pantry.
    6. Gotta make the bed before I run out the door.
    7. Friday is Turkey Burger Day!!
    8. Only red towels in my bathroom, the rest go to my husbands!

Yes, I'm a nut!!! Although, I had a friend that everytime someone else used one of her pens, she'd throw it away!! Hahah!

7. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

~I also only use blue pens for when I write, and I refuse to use a red pen. When I grade my student's work I use the neon colored pens.
    ~ The toilet paper must be put in so that the next sheet is coming over the roll, not under. I have even been known to change the toilet paper in other peoples houses if it is done the "WRONG" way. hehe:p
    ~My daughters named our expedition "Truckee" and talk about it like Truckee is real.
    ~All cups and glasses in my cabinet need to face down, not sure why?
    ~Dishwasher ~ I make sure that there is at least one fork, one spoon, one knife in each section. And they all have to face down. I dont need a knife sticking up so that it could slice me. (My mil is known for doing everything opposite of me, I think in spite of me....it drives me completely nutty!)
    There are many more, but my summer brain just cant think of any more at this time!

8. Dolla

Dolla Companion

Jul 8, 2006

My husband has to have all his money (we call them notes, you call them bills) sorted from highest to lowest amount and all facing the front when he opens his wallet.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 8, 2006

Dolla I do that to. But from lowest to highest and all facing front and none can be upside down.

10. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 8, 2006

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only weirdo out there!! :)

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2006

:D me too...

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2006

I do it because I don't want bugs, dust or something else landing in my cup before I pour a tall glass of tea:rolleyes:

I can only use .07 mechanical pencils that don't SQUEAK when I write.

I can't stand when someone puts Kleenex, napkins, whatever in his/her mouth. It really gives me the creeps!

The tags on my shirts drive me insane- usually I have to rip them out.

The shoes by the front door have to be organized and only 1 pair per person.

Before I go to bed at night- everything has to be cleaned up in kitchen, messes have to be taken care of.

I don't use milk with my cereal. I hate soggy foods. That's why I hate eggs.

Hmm. I better stop. I'm starting to scare myself here:eek:

13. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 9, 2006

hahahahaa....me too! Although, I use the cocoa butter kind. But it seems like I'm always looking for my chapstick!

14. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jul 9, 2006

Oh yeah--and every night before bed...I have to make sure the comforter is even on both sides...nothing drives me more crazy than having my side of the blanket hanging over onto the floor--and then sweating all night from being too hot!

15. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jul 9, 2006

When I grocery shop, I have to have a list that is written in order of the aisles. I list fruits and veggies first, because that is the section that I first see. Milk and dairy is always last. When I am ready to check out, all the items have to be put on the rotating belt thingy in order. Meat with meat, frozen with frozen, pantry foods together, bathroom items together. That way when I get home, I can put everything away faster and easier.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 9, 2006

I also, tried to put the same items grouped together on the belt. But the baggers never seem to put them in the bags the way I put them on the belt.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2006

I usually pay attention to the baggers, but last week I didn't and when I got home I found they had placed raw meat in the same bag with produce!! I called the manager, but I didn't get much satisfaction.

18. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

Me too, me too, me too! We'll go to get in bed at night, and, to my husband, I'm usually like, "Wait! Wait, Wait!" :p

19. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 9, 2006

So, after reading all these, does anyone think some of this comes with being a teacher? Think about it.....

1. Name always at the top right of your paper
    2. Don't write past the red line
    3. Blocks go back in the red tub
    4. Skip lines/Don't skip lines
    5. Always underline your heading
    6. Walk on the right side of the hallway
    7. Number in the top left corner

I'm sure there's more....:) Do you think a bunch of accountants are on an online forum chatting about their eccentricities?

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

THIS IS ME!!!!:D

21. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 9, 2006

Funny that you say that --- I was just discussing with my accountant friend the weird things we both do. She's nutso about people who don't underline numbers in spreadsheets using a ruler so the lines are straight and people who fill in number by hand that should have been typed. I on the other hand am a slide nazi -- the slide is for going down NOT up and one at a time please! LOL We all have our quirks! :)

22. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 10, 2006

I have over nine thousand mp3's on my hard drive and they are alphabetized according to. . . . the artist's first name.

This is very, very wrong, but I do it anyway.

23. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2006

The writers for the tv show Monk need to read this thread!!!!!!!
    It brings up the question..."what is normal?"

I have a compulsion to buy pens--the more colors the better. I drool over markers and pens.

My clothes are sorted by color--easy to get dressed in the morning.

My hubby is a firefighter. Every morning when he leaves for work (a whopping 8 days a month) we say the same thing to each other in the same order. He won't leave the room until we say it. With a job like his, every day could be his last.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2006

Me Too!

That's so funny..it was like reading my own post! One day my husband was shopping with me and started to throw stuff up there and I almost chopped his arm off! He was so confused!!!!!!!!:p

25. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

My hubby is a firefighter. Every morning when he leaves for work (a whopping 8 days a month)

My hubby is a firefighter, too. Your husband must work 76 off, 24 on to only work 8 days a month??? My husband works 24 on 48 off.

26. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 11, 2006

For all the classes I have subbed for in the past, I absolutley have to clean the white-board/chalk board. It makes me nuts to keep that thing dirty!

Oh, and a day without coffee is a day without the sun, lol. I must have coffee, must!

27. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2006

Nope, he works 24 on 48 off, then 24 on, then 4 days off. It averages 2 days a week. Then he has Debit days (Kelly days) once every 3 months or so.
    Where does your hubby work? Mine has been with Seattle for about 18 years.