Your Eccentricities?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2006

Is there a peculiar or unique way you do certain things or only a specific item you'll buy?

This may not be considered eccentric, but when I shop for workout clothes, I only like fabrics that consist of polyester & spandex. I don't like any percentage of cotton.

I can't think of any more right now.

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

I have to make the bed if it is not already made before I can go to sleep.... :rolleyes:

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

I have to put lotion on my hands after I wash them. I am really uncomfortable when I cannot put it on right away.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

When I get an additional glass of pop at a restaurant, I have to pour a few ice cubes from the empty glass into the new glass. I don't want the old ice to feel left out. :)

Otherwise I am perfect in every way.

I also put cheese in my Wheaties but doesn't everybody?

6. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

When I put on socks, the sock that was folded on the outside goes on the right foot, then the sock that was inside the fold goes on the left. I've done that since middle school...

And I hate eyeglasses laying lenses down. I've flipped over kids glasses on their desks when I see them laying lenses down.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

I am obsessed with vacuuming my house....:eek:

8. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

Wanna come over and do mine? :rolleyes: just kidding. hehehe

9. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

Me too, plus I am obsessed with having all my floors clean. I don't even like a spec of dust.:eek:

10. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 3, 2006

I'm addicted to chapstick. Well, any lipbalm really...but it has to be the "medicated" kind. I get all antsy if I leave the house and realize I forgot it at home! haha

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2006

All my clothes which hang in the closet must face the same direction, to my left.

I can't use the same sponge on my counters that I use for my dishes. I keep two sponges, darker for the counter, lighter for the dishes.

12. JaZMum

JaZMum Rookie

Jul 3, 2006

When i check on my children at night, i have to say exactly the same thing to each one. e.g 'goodnight my precious, i'll see you in the morning'. (they are asleep)

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

I'm sure I do, but I have never given them much thought and no one has really pointed them out to me. Funny I should see this thread today. The local paper had a story in the Living section about personal kryptonites (things that a person lives and dies for, things that seem to control our lives) One person was addicted to books regardless of what kind, one family loves hot-air ballooning and their lives revolve around the sport, and one woman was a compulsive list maker. I think she sounds like the ultimate Post-It note addict! I am a sucker for books and good coffee.

14. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

In that case, I am addicted to coffee and coffeehouses. I just like the relaxed atmosphere.

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 4, 2006

Oh yeah, I have to make lists for everything, cleaning, packing, work. Also, all my clothes have to hang the same way in my closet, along with the hangers hanging the same way! lol

16. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 4, 2006

Haha, Jane, yours reminded me of mine! I have to make sure there are at least two utensils in every slot in the dishwasher... I don't want any of the silverware to be all alone! (I had to load the dishwasher after dinner when I was young so this began then...:eek: )

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

I do the same thing!:p

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

Ditto on the chapstick, Beth!
    I have to brush my teeth before I take my shower.

19. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

I eat one thing on my plate at a time leaving my favorite for last. So if dinner is chicken, green beans, and mashed potatoes -- I will eat the green beans until they are gone, move on to the chicken, and finally the potatoes. LOL

20. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 4, 2006

I have a compulsion to keep my desk supplies over stocked-especially pens and Post-Its. I have 3 pairs of scissors, about 30 pens, more sticky notes than I could ever use, 4 calculators, numerous high lighters, a multitude of pencils, and that's just at home! Considering that I'm the only person who uses the stuff it's a bit nuts. You should see my school desk. and I only really like the Bic crystals and Bic round sticks (or commercial variations of). I'll use others if I must, but those are my faves. I blame it on my family. I grew up in a house where it was nearly impossible to find stuff unless one horded it.

I also can't stand dull pencils. Even if they are only somewhat used I have to sharpen them before I'll use them.

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

My husband does this! I, and even he, don't know why either. I, on the other hand, have to mix my tastes up. I can't stand eating the same thing for too long, unless it's chinese fried rice!

22. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 5, 2006

Jen -- I have no idea why I do that either!!! In fact, I didn't know I did until a few years ago when a boyfriend mentioned it because apparently it drove him crazy! :)

23. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2006

I do the same thing

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

AHHHH, there's more of that kind out there? ;) ;) ;) Here I thought my husband was just strange.

25. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

Wow, this looks like it's going to be another Peculiar. And Annoying is still alive and kicking... :D

I do just about everything that has been mentioned here! My bed can be messy all day, but I need to make it before I go to sleep. I keep all the foods on my plate separate and eat them one at a time, with my favorite last. I always stock multitudes of my favorite stationery goods available. I am only a little particular about my clothes facing the same way, but casuals go on the left and formals on the right, with in-betweens in between. And the hand cream, and the lip balm, and I can't do anything before I brush my teeth. I do make a lot of lists, but it's not quite an obsession...yet!

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Me to.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I don't do that but I put strawberry yogurt on my cheerios (no milk).

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I do the same thing, and organized by color.

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Hey I would eat it in the same order. I feel like a copy cat.

30. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Yep, I organize by color, too. Much easier to pick out an outfit in 2 minutes that way.

I would never lick a postage stamp.

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

The postage stamp thing reminds me of a Seinfeld episode

32. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I don't remember that one.

33. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2006

George's girlfriend dies after licking all the envelopes for their wedding invitations... not stamps, just triggered a memory there.

34. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

When I dormed, people always used to eat their cereal with yogurt instead of milk (usually cornflakes). I thought it was the grossest thing, especially since I don't really like yogurt anyway.

Anyway, I remembered two more of my eccentricities/peculiarities:

Besides for eating all the types of food on my plate separately, I do it to salads a lot also, trying to get only one type of fruit/veggie on the fork at a time.

My usual breakfast cereal is Quaker Corn Bran. I always eat exactly four pieces on the spoon at a time, except if there's an odd amount left at the end, though sometimes I'll pour in more to even it out. I always start with a bowl of milk and keep pouring in cereal a little at a time until it's used up. I don't like my cereal soggy!

35. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

I like to eat M&M's or Skittles by color... well, i like to have them in groups that contain all the colors. So the last group I eat has all of them, and I go from there.

My clothes are not organized by color, but by type... all the dress pants together, long-sleaved t-shirts are together, short-sleaved shirts I can wear to work are together, sleaveless shirts are together, fleeces are together, etc.

I love tomatoes, and always save them for last on my salad... cucumbers are usually next-to-last. It doesn't matter otherwise.

I never put milk in my cereal... I eat it dry so I can hear it crunch.

And I've named my car and my plants. They like it.

36. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2006

Tomatoes are my favorite, too, also followed by cucumbers (who are sometimes overtaken by lettuce)!

I don't have a car yet, but I imagine I might name it. I used to have nicknames for all sorts of things. What's yours called?

37. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Jul 5, 2006

That's how I eat my cereal! Well... I add in a lot of fresh fruit to it... but milk makes my stomach upset, and for some reason yogurt doesn't. And I really only ever eat cereal at night.

As for eccentricities... When I get a song from work stuck in my head, I tend to just go with it, and sing. You can imagine the look on my poor boyfriend's face, when I burst out with "I had a little turtle..."

38. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 5, 2006

I named my first car Clarence after the guardian angel in It's A Wonderful Life. I have never named any of my other cars.

39. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

Oh, how funny, Miss Frizzle.

40. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 5, 2006

My car, a bright blue Focus, is named Royal.

I actually started that from my family... we had "Car-Car," who was older than dirt... if we said something negative and didn't immediately follow it with "We love you, Car-car," Car-Car WOULD end up in the shop. We learned quickly. We also had a Voyager we named "Vinnie Van." Currently, mom and dad have Silver and Pearl. Guess what colors they are? ;)

I have a plant named George that my mom bought me when I went off to college "because everyone needs a plant to love." She's better at keeping them alive than I am, I tend to forget to water them. So by naming them, I tend to remember better. ;)

41. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 6, 2006

I have to have my towels folded a certain way so it is simple to grab it and put it over the shower door before I take my shower. If you know Dinah Zyke and her fold names... I start with a hotdog fold first, not hamburger fold. DH and I got in an arguement about how to fold towels one night. I kept hinting that I would fold the towels in a minute... I'll fold the towels in a minute. I didn't want to be rude and say DON'T FOLD THE TOWELS!! YOU DON'T FOLD THEM RIGHT!!!

I also don't like it when I go to a local restaurant that has a steam table... I dont want the cream potatoes touching my chicken fingers!! I don't like soggy chicken fingers!! Heaven forbid the gravy get on the chicken fingers! :)

Lori