Your Dream Job...in the Old Days

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

Back when you were in HS or college, what was your dream job to have BEFORE you had the degree(s) to get into teaching? :)

I never worked before I was 18. Back when all I had was retail/clerical type experience, I wanted to work in the Brass Plum dept of Nordstrom badly because I loved their clothing & I love Nordstrom (like I still do now.) Although I never worked in that dept, I worked in their kids' shoe dept, which was the dept across from the Brass Plum at my location.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

I always wanted to be a teacher. It's always been my "dream job", although the reality is vastly different (and so much better) than I had imagined it.

When I was in university I worked part-time during the school year and full time during the summer at a bank. I enjoyed the variety of work I did for the bank: teller, general customer service, and some head-office data analysis.

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Aug 28, 2011

Even though I wanted to be a teacher since I've been little, I did consider being a librarian. I love to read, and I love the library. I am so glad I chose teaching! I can help kids learn to love to read!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

I wanted to be a model.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

That never could have been an option for me :lol:.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

When I was in Kindergarten, I told everybody I wanted to be either a telephone operator or a ballerina.

My sister wanted to be a taxi-cab driver.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

When I was in high school, I wanted to become an FBI agent, a journalist, and then later in high school, I wanted to pursue a medical career and even volunteered at a hospital for 2 years.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 28, 2011

Oh, that changes every few months. Screenwriter would have been right up there, for sure. I wanted to be a lawyer for awhile.

10. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

When I was in high school I wanted to work at a local play park called Fairy Tale Town. I had loved going there when I was little. I actually did get to work there...I dressed up as Little Bo Peep and walked around with a sheep on a leash. When I wasn't walking around letting the little kids pet the sheep I worked in the castle where they had birthday parties. It was great fun.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

I took this modelling/acting workshop/training at this school in Beverly Hills when I was a HS senior. I could have pursued acting since they taught how to get into the business. I probably could have started out in commercials, then who knows, maybe a show, then movie role(s). But, oh well...

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

What stopped you? Over the years, I've had people say that I should go into modeling. I find that funny as I'm barely 5'5". :rolleyes:

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 28, 2011

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.... These are all thoughts that make you wishing your life was different. I followed a great path. I met a great guy, got married, had AMAZING children, AND have had a rewarding career as a teacher that brings me happiness and love. Sure I "coulda" gone done a different path. But, I would not trade the highlights that have helped to shape the person I have become. Live for today.... the question should be... "What will tomorrow bring me and how am I going to live my life?" Great thread... It really makes me appreciate what I DO have and it helps me to set goals for myself for a FANTASTIC future!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

Peachy, now these may be not so good reasons, but I think a combo of always being in college from age 18 throughout my 20s left little to no time to really drive around to auditions & go-sees, meeting w/ agents, getting headshots taken, etc., etc., etc., plus maybe if I lived on my own a lot sooner too. I moreless stuck around home & didn't venture too far. I'm not too bummed that I didn't pursue the acting route, but I know, it's never too late! But I love college & wouldn't trade in the degrees I have.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

SCTeachInTX, that's fantastic.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

- Head football coach at a major university

- Wildcatter -- (for those who don't know wildcatters either make a fortune drilling wildcat wells ... or die broke....... sometimes they accomplish both.. :))

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

Well, there's petite models, face models, hand modes. I'm short too, but you know how they've had the petite search on America's Next Top Model? If I was 15 yrs younger, I'd try out for that show. Even if I didn't win, just hte experience would be fun.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

What stopped you? :) Not any kind of injury I hope.

19. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

I always wanted to be a Kindergarten Teacher. Livin' the dream now, how lucky am i?

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I was made an offer I couldn't refuse by one of those evil major oil companies .... :lol: ... (My degrees --- BS in Math/Geology and an MS in Geology --- were highly sought after back then ...... they probably still are today) I have no regrets....... :)

21. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

When I was very young, I wanted to be a waitress. I don't know why, but I just thought it was the coolest job ever. I repeatedly told my mom I was not going to college because I wanted to be a waitress- she didn't like that! The funny thing is, I never did end up waitressing even as a part time job in HS or college. After that, I've pretty much always wanted to be a teacher. I've only every questioned that once, I guess I was around high school age. My mom was a teacher, my dad was a teacher, and almost all of our family friends were teachers. I started wondering if it was really what I wanted to do or if I had just thought so because that was the only career I ever really wanted to do growing up. I started looking into nursing, but always came back to teaching. Any part time job I had in hs/college was working with kids, and that solidified for me that I wanted to be a teacher no matter what. Right before entering college is when the job market really started to go bad, and I legitamately tried to find a "back up major" or something else I could do instead, and in the end just decided it wasn't worth it. I knew going into college I'd have to move far away to teach, but it was worth it to me. I was just telling someone this the other day- I was not thrilled about relocating to the location I live here. However, there were NO jobs in my home state, and surrounding states wanted experience first. I had to start somewhere. People just couldn't believe I moved so far away without knowing a soul- but for me it came down to either being a teacher here, or staying at home and not being a teacher. The choice really wasn't that hard.

22. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I was originally pre-med in college but I met Mr. Right my sophomore year of college and got married. By the time I graduated with a degree in chemistry, we had 3 children and teaching seemed a much better path for me than med school. I have never regretted anything and found that teaching was my dream job--I just did not know it!!

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

I was told many times that I should go into modeling...I looked a lot like Liz Taylor when I was young (remember her when she was young?) Now I am old and it is definitely just a dream of the past!
    I should clarify, modeling/acting...or both would have been my dream. Elizabeth Taylor was only 5'4"... same as me, so it doesn't matter how tall you are.

24. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 28, 2011

Teaching ...

And, Park Ranger.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

26. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2011

I started my degree in Egyptology at the U of Chicago Oriental Institute, but had to leave due to health issues.

When I was able to go back to school, it just wasn't practical any longer, plus I'd be unable to participate in digs. So, I went into geology instead, which was the closest practical field.

27. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 28, 2011

I've always wanted to be a teacher, but I let others talk me into "reaching higher". I was pre-med for a year but enjoyed tutoring my fellow classmates more than the classes themselves so I changed my major.

I'm thinking of going back to school to be a RN after retiring from teaching. I started when I was 21 so I'll still be young enough to have a second career.

28. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

Are you calling me old? :lol:

Liz Taylor was a beautiful lady--modelling would be a perfect choice for anyone who looked like her (which I don't, unfortunately).

29. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 28, 2011

I wanted to work for the CIA and be a spy. I think I just saw one too many Bond movies. :p

30. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

I wanted to be a dentist for a long time. Then I found out that, yes, sometimes there is blood involved :)

I did one year of Engineering at University before I realized that wasn't what I wanted to be either.

It wasn't until I found teaching that things really fell into place.

31. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

I always wanted to be a teacher.

My DREAM job was (and still is) to tour with a band. I don't care what I would have to do-sell merchandise, organize their meet & greets, do their laundry-whatever! I just love concerts and I would love to be a behind-the-scenes person. I would love to do this for one of my favorite bands.

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

My "realistic dream" was to be a teacher even prior to beginning kindergarten and I never waivered from that. It's no longer my dream career, but I am trying to maintain a more positive attitude...that makes a huge difference, of course.

33. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Aug 28, 2011

Other than wanting to be a star on Broadway? Since I ended up in Human Resources because I had to make money and couldn't afford to take a whole semester of unpaid student teaching, teaching WAS my dream job.

34. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2011

Don't know about you, but I am old! I bet we're close in age, since I see you just went to your grandson's wedding, correct???

35. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

Nope, you've got me mixed up. While grandbabies will likely be in my life in the next 10 years, I'm a long way from their weddings! (I am old, though!).

36. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

I started out wanting to be a vet, but then I realized I don't like blood and the possibility of having to touch snakes freaked me out.

Then I realized I really wanted to teach when I was in high school. I loved my AP English teacher and admired her so much...

37. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

I wanted to be a classical oboist. I went to a HS for the performing arts and got accepted into an extremely prestigious music conservatory. Unfortunately, a major hiking accident ended my career in music before it really even got started.

38. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 28, 2011

When I was really little I wanted to be a bank teller. I thought that was such a cool job. Haha! But I also used to gather up my stuffed animals and play "school" with them. Bunny was *such* a bad student... always in the office... :)

Waterfall, when my daughter was in early elementary, she always said she wanted to be a waitress, too! LOL.

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 28, 2011

That makes me so sad. :hugs: I might have asked you this before, but are you still able to play for pleasure at least?

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

Not really. I played the 2nd oboe/ English horn part for a production of Hansel and Gretel a few years back when the school that was staging it was absolutely desperate, and the three days that I played (one rehearsal, two performances) hurt my hands and wrists so badly that I couldn't even lift a pencil for almost a week afterward.

41. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Don't remember ever having a dream job.

Currently pursuing an education degree because it is what I want to do and was the only thing I can really do.