Your Dream Classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ted, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 26, 2013

Okay... so let's just say that you won a prize to have a team of contractors, electricians, and interior designers/decorators come in and give you the classroom of your dream. No limit on spending, etc.

What would it be?

What size would it be? How about technology? Many windows? What would the students' desks look like? How about your classroom library and of course your own teacher's desk?

The sky's the limit...let the dreaming begin! :)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2013

Actually, my building is being remodeled this summer...so I don't have a clue what my room will look like!

My wish list...lots of windows, separate carpeted areas for a reading area with room enough for comfy furniture

I teach children with autism so I would love separate areas for their desks so they aren't distracted by other children and activities...

A large carpeted are full of building blocks, legos, tinkertoys, etc for my children who use this activity to destress...

A kitchen with a washer and dryer area to teach life skills...

Of course, a whole group teaching area on tile with a smartboard...lots of bulletin boards...

A door at the front of the room and a door in back opening to a nice playground...

An area with desk and storage for both of my assistants...

That about does it for now, I'm sure I can think of more things!

4. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Jul 26, 2013

My classroom would definitely be bigger than what I have now. To be honest, I have no idea what the square footage is but 33 desks barely fit in there.

So I'd like it big enough to fit 40 desks (that way I could separate some), my desk and a big comfy chair. I like our big student desks as they are big enough for our huge lit book and for them to still have paper out to write. Unfortunately, only half my desks are like that.

My classroom library is pretty big due to donorschoose and my uncontrollable reading habit but I'd love to have a monthly stipend from amazon or barnes and noble to just buy books.

Classroom set or iPads or laptops and for them to hang my projector correctly. It hangs on this metal thing at a slant and I have magazines to prop it up so that it kind of sort of fits on my smartboard. I got a new projector and the guy installing it made fun of the magazines and I told him to just wait. After trying to fiddle with it for about 20 minutes he went and asked my Super if he could install an arm, was told no and came back and asked for the magazines.

My pick of kids. And I think some people would be surprised at some of the kids I pick. I love some of the "troublemakers" and would happily take them in class.

And I'd love to get rid of the carpet and have tile.

5. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 26, 2013

Hmm... I think that I would LOVE a bigger classroom. I have a wall of huge windows, so I would keep those there.

I'd change my door to just be one solid door with no huge window. I'd put the window paneling on the side as this would allow me to actually be able to decorate my door.

I'd still have my students in desks, but I'd have a few tables scattered around for students to work in groups.

My library would be filled with many more nonfiction books that students would find interesting. I'd have those awesome baskets from Really Good Stuff instead of my Dollar Tree ones.

My room would be painted, but I'm not sure what color yet. All I know is that I would definitely want an accent wall where my Promethean board is.

All of my students would have access to an iPad, and my classroom would have WIFI. Yes, it is true that there is no WIFI in my school. Sad thing... :-(

I would have a few classroom carpets scattered around my spacious room. I'd have a carpet in front of the Promethean board that would be large enough to seat all students in a circle. I'd also have an adorable carpet in my classroom library.

My classroom library would be furnished with small couches, a hammock, and saucer chairs. I'd have a side table along with one or two modern lamps. I would also have paper lanterns coming down from the ceiling.

I'd also have at least two filing cabinets, which would be decorated. I would also like built in shelving and cabinets to house all of my supplies. My current room has hardly any built in storage.

Oh dear... that's a lot for my dream classroom!

6. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Jul 26, 2013

Oh gosh! I would love a wall full of windows! Preferably overlooking the ocean. Lol

I would love cubbies full of manipulatives... Counting bears, blocks, Popsicle sticks... Etc.

A wall full of whiteboard space (not just a few feet on both sides of the Smartboard because that's annoying!)
    A Smartboard of course with programs already uploaded onto it.

Comfortable ergonomic seats for the students and myself. A couch and love seat in the corner surrounded by bookshelves of leveled books!

Calming colors balanced with pops of bright aqua and neon green.

A bathroom entrance located inside the room! With a vacancy/occupied sign plus a whiteboard hung by the door knob for the kids to write their names when they are using it!

It would also be great to have a teacher desk and my "area" in a small room outside the classroom that is connected by a door. Just so we have more room in the classroom for student stuff and areas but I still have my little sanctuary for grading, planning, etc when I'm on break or lunch.

Wow I sound like I'm high maintenance but I'm really not. :)

7. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 26, 2013

I'd double my room size and have flat walls instead of the cinderblock. Two of the walls would be huge map murals (1 world and 1 USA) with a curtain that I can lower to cover them for testing.

My desks would have under-the-seat storage instead of the under-desk baskets that give my students a place to hide their phones. Not that it would matter because Dream Room has a cellphone jammer that prevents texting. Since I put my desks in a U-shape, they'd have retractable privacy shields.

Every desk would have a small, embedded touchscreen that would allow the students to interact with the new smartboard. I'd also have a class set of laptops, my own copier and a large laminator.

Finally, I'd have a couch and a few beanbags in a student hangout area.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

I'm very fortunate...there's not much I'd want that I don't already have. My room is fairly new construction, lots of storage, big windows, updated technology, plentiful resources...if pushed, I'd go for air onditioning for those last weeks of school in June.:D

9. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 26, 2013

This struck me as odd at first because I live in Texas and we run the air conditioning most the school year. It seems we go straight from air to heat and then back again. Sometimes all within the same day.

I want a larger room, a closet for storage, more windows, more bookshelves, and an iPad or laptop for each student.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2013

Sm2... In in northern NJ... our Last few weeks in June can be very hot and humid, but most schools don't have ac throughout the building. We have only in main office space and in the tech lab. My room is new construction and designed for ac but school didn't activate.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 26, 2013

This is a sore subject for me because my "room" - which isn't even actually a real room is, um, not good!!

My ideal room:

Large with high ceilings, big ample windows, plenty of room for separate learning centers/groups
    Lots of closet space, file cabinets, and open shelves
    My current smartboard, a laptop cart that accommodates all my students, and iPads along with a dedicated technology space
    My own phone to call parents, the office, or other teachers
    A big corner for a classroom library

Dare to dream!

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

I haven't seen my classroom because we are getting a new building this year.

But if I could pick...

-Lots of storage
    -The kind of walls you can staple or push pin into so I wouldn't need to use sticky clips anymore
    - MORE SPACE! So that I could have areas for writing, science, Etc. I would also like to make a HUGE corner library space.
    -A class set of iPads would be nice.. ;)
    - I would also love a class set of responders.
    - A bathroom VERY close, though not necessarily attached to the room.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2013

I'd like a bigger room with more room for computers. I need more free space. We're crowded.

14. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I would rather all of my students have laptops with internet connections then anything. I would love to be able to do a lot of internet based projects without worrying about reserving computer labs and wondering if students have access to computers at home.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2013

Lessee... my dream classroom...
    • each student desk has a dry erase top and a power outlet for an iPad or laptop
    • A wall of windows, underneath which are bookshelves - across the entire wall
    • SmartBoard and dry erase board are located where the most students can actually see them
    • iPads or laptops for every student
    • teacher lockers and file cabinet that actually lock
    • a skylight for natural light
    • more room for movement & small group work (centers)
    • volume control on the intercom (we have a very loud secretary)
    • wireless microphone so I won't lose my voice (allergies)
    • built-in cubbies for manipulatives
    • room for a sofa & a couple of comfy chairs for reading groups

I think that's it... maybe, lol!

16. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 26, 2013

I can really have fun with this one!

1. I would want my classroom to have a modern but yet homey feel. With that said my room would be painted a cool shade of mint green. A wall of windows overlooking an outside area that is like an oasis... a fountain, wooden benches, flower and plant garden, seating so I could have classes outside.

2. Inside my room I would have half of my floor wood and the other half tile.

3. My reading area would be tucked into the corner with a reading loft in the corner that is clear so you can see through, underneath would be more reading areas with cozy chairs.

4. I would have a technology area of the classroom equpt with 6 computers and several ipads.

5. Soft or natural lighting is essential for me. It's the Montessori in me. I also love plants and greenery so I would have several plants throughout the classroom and potted trees.

6. The group area would be spacious and closed in with soft benches so students have a choice to sit on the floor for group or surrounding group on benches.

7. Smartboard, projector, laptop and music center close to group.

8. A display area for student work samples to be displayed.

9. Conference area in the back of the classroom for parent conferences, with resources for them to use.

10. Refrigerator, microwave in the room... I'm sad to leave my refrigerator behind.

11. Storage space!

12. Student work areas would include small group tables with low stools, individual work areas for students need quiet spaces.

I could just continue... perhaps I need to design my own school/classroom! Oh the joy!

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 26, 2013

OMG! Space! More space!

And air conditioner. If I could have anything, it would be air conditioner.

If I could have everything...well...I'd get it all. :lol: Lots of windows for natural light. Tall ceilings. Sky blue walls with no chipping paint. One to one laptops. SmartBoard. 4 or 5 iPads with an iPad charging station for centers. A wall of cubbies just for manipulatives and centers materials. I'd like a whole comfy corner just for the library with brand new books that my students pick out. And some kind of gathering space for Morning Meeting.

18. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 27, 2013

Wow! You all know how to design! Whenever you create a school, let me know when you're taking applications! :)

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 27, 2013

I'm sure I could come up with quite a list, but all I really want this time of year is air conditioning. My classroom is an oven.