Your district's hiring process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by marcus903, Jun 20, 2011.

1. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jun 20, 2011

Before I start, this thread was made because a moderator told me I could re-create the other thread which was locked by accident.

What is your district's hiring process? You can give me the hiring process of teachers and/or the hiring process of administrators.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2011

Teachers: The job is posted for 30 days. During that 30 days, interviews can be conducted, but nobody can be hired until the 30 days is over unless there is an emergency waiver. The principal goes to central office and looks through the list of applicants. He/she then brings the list to the schools site-based decision making council (SBDM) who chooses which people to interview. Candidates are interviewed by the council, which consists of three teachers, the principal, and two parents. The principal can invite others, such as the department head, to sit in on interviews as well. The council decides on the person to hire, and then the principal informs the superintendent.

Principal: The SBDM council chooses a chairperson, and that person assumes the role that the principal takes when hiring teachers.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 20, 2011

For K-5 we have a district pool. On certain days, a bunch of administrators conduct interviews. The whole group interviews each candidate (so 6:1). Then if you make it into the pool, you get a letter saying they are sorry there are no positions right now, but you will remain in the candidate pool for a year; if you don't make it, you get a letter saying they are sorry you will not be joining the pool.

Then, when a position opens up, you might be called to do a demo lesson with three principals observing you. Or you might sit in the pool for a year and start all over again.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 20, 2011

As far as I know, open positions are first posted internally and then opened to the general public. The description is on the school website and is duplicated on the job bank for the Department of Education. Usually, our Human Resources department give the resumes a primary look and then forward the promising ones to the appropriate principal. The principal is the one who makes the final call who is called in for a first interview. If the interview goes well, the candidate is given a basic computer aptitude test (mostly on Microsoft Office programs) and is scheduled for a second visit. The second interview includes the assistant principal who oversees the academic or grade department. If both go well, the principal calls the candidate's references and then HR takes over to formalize the hiring process. On some occasions, a principal already has a short list of resumes directly from existing teachers who recommend their friends or former colleagues.

Marcus, I am really enjoying answering these questions of yours.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 20, 2011

In my district, we haven't hired outside applicants in years! Due to so many teachers being laid off, whenever a job posting comes up, teachers have a chance to transfer. If no teachers apply for the transfer, the job is offered to someone who was laid off.

7. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2011

Step 1: Fill out online job application
    Step 2: Screening Process w/ HR administrator
    Step 3: Video Interview w/ HR administrator
    Step 4: Apply for individual positions online (People who apply for positions but have not had the screenings are not considered.)
    Step 5: Building level interview with principal and grade-level team for individual position

8. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jun 21, 2011

Thanks!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

It's always interesting to find out how things "work" in different places. Like YoungTeacherGuy, open positions haven't been advertised in over 10 years. Beginning in February, teachers who wish to transfer to another school post their names on the "Transfer List" and principals who will have open positions post those and any teacher on the Transfer List may apply. In late March, any teachers who are surplus to their school are able to apply to open positions. In April, the Transfer List is closed and all surplus teachers are placed. Beginning sometime in May, subs who have been doing long term assignments and who have administrator recommendations may apply for contract positions.

10. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 21, 2011

1. Openings are posted internally. I am not sure how long this is, but I think it's around 30 days.
    2. Apply online.
    3. Invertview with HR.
    4. Interview with Principal of school or Interview committee from school. Each building does it a little differently.

11. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Not to go off-topic or bump this thread. But can this get some replies? Thanks.

Also, please explain how positions are posted and how vacancies are determined in schools and school board.

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

I was interviewed by the principal, then the superintendant. After that I went to a board meeting for the official hiring.

As for the process, once a position is available, it is posted internally for 10 days. Teachers must sign the posting in the super's office if they wish to transfer, then they're interviewed by the principal if changing buildings. If no one wants to transfer, after 10 days the posting becomes public and is advertised in local media. Fill out application, interview, hire.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

The scenarios presented are typical of most school districts. Repeating what has been said already doesn't garner any new info. Are you looking to send out resumes soon? You'll find in education, or really any job, the hiring process can vary somewhat.

14. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Actually, I don't need everyone giving me their hiring process more than once. I just need different people telling me their hiring process.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 10, 2011

But what czacza is pointing out is that it's the same in so many places. So if someone reads the replies and the method in their district has already been described, what's the point in them describing theirs? It's no different so the process has already been shared.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

That's exactly my point, MsMar! Thanks!

And unless you are currently seeking employment, marcusl, I'm not quite sure how much you need this information. Things could change in terms of certification requirements, school needs by the time you are looking for a teaching potion, if that indeed is your plan.

17. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

I just doing it for educational purposes.

18. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

This whole "I'm just doing it for educational purposes" reason is getting really old and tired.

How is asking people about their hiring process for educational purposes when you're a high school student? You haven't been able to prove or explain to anyone what exactly you are doing with this information. The majority of the members have been very nice and patient with your threads replying over and over and over again when you are asking the same exact questions in different threads.

19. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Perhaps I should provide my definition of 'educational purposes'.

By "educational purposes", I mean I just want to learn how this teaching thing works. It does not mean I want to become a teacher, but I just want to learn about it.

There. That is what I mean by "educational purposes".

If you can't help being asked a simple question, then why are you a teacher? The majority of students here are just learning, not trying to waste their time dealing with your harsh criticism.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

Your question about hiring processes has been answered. Sometimes teachers see another agenda behind 'simple questions'.

21. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

But what is the purpose of posting this question 3 times? There are a handful of members who are the ones answering your questions and so essentially the majority of the replies you are receiving are the same from the same set of members. The hiring process is very similar in most districts as others have already mentioned so there's nothing really new to learn.

Why do you want to learn about teaching if you do not want to become a teacher?

Asking about how teachers get hired will not give you insight about how teaching works or what teachers do.

Enjoy your summer and hang out with your friends or do something that you enjoy. I know it sounds harsh but you don't really have a purpose, need, or reason to be on here...

22. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

You, and your posts, are very condescending and rude about the teaching profession. Whether or not I can help being asked a simple question by you really has little to do with why I am a teacher or how I am a teacher.

Most of the students on here are those late in high school or in college who are actively trying to become a teacher, it is their passion, and they are asking real questions about being a teacher. I would not lump you into the category of those students. I was a college student when I became active on this forum. I was looking for information about job interviews and current educational topics not asking about salary, getting hired, or comparing school to a prison.

23. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

The first thread was mistakenly locked so I re-created it.

The second thread didn't get enough replies.

This thread was bumped to get more replies.

You know, members who answered the questions already shouldn't have to answer them again. So you should be yelling at them, not me.

Because I want to. Just because I don't want to be a teacher doesn't mean I can't learn about being a teacher.

It will give me insight on what to expect when applying as one. See the irony?

24. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

Things don't get mistakenly locked. :spitwater:

If you cannot get enough replies then it's probably a sign that members have nothing more to say or simply don't want to answer.

25. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

You're being rude right now.

Is this how people act on this forum JUST because a user who wants to learn about the teaching profession asks so many questions?

You don't sound like a good teacher at all. A good teacher doesn't just point out the flaws of a student without pointing out what is good about the student. THAT is called 'constructive criticism'. You are not giving me 'constructive criticism' but other members is. Seriously.

26. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

I never did get the point of these threads.

27. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jul 10, 2011

At this point, I have nothing to say that would be appropriate and I will not dignify that beyond insulting statement with a response. You know absolutely nothing about me or how I am as a teacher.

28. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 10, 2011

Well, by the way you are acting I am sure you are treating other students with the same respect you are giving me.

If not, then I don't know why you're treating me like this over a question.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

:thumb:

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2011

This is not a classroom, you are not the student of the members here. This is a teacher discussion forum. You have been given advice about your posts as well as MANY answers to your MANY questions. There does seem to be another layer to your questions...and that may be why you are seeing diminishing returns to your queries.

31. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

It seems to me that if you do not appreciate said teenage boys posts, then STOP replying to the posts.:whistle:

32. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

Marcus, are there other professions that you are interested in learning about, and are you posting questions on forums related to those other professions? You have stated several times that you aren't interested in becoming a teacher, so I was just curious if you are exploring other areas.

33. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

Jul 11, 2011

This just keeps getting more entertaining with each post, and I do mean entertaining. There is no discussion pertaining to the original post. It is just a question/answer format rather than what a forum should be...

34. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 11, 2011

I feel the same way. :)

35. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 12, 2011

I know that this isn't a classroom. Yes, I've been trying to take those advice. But when I try to get advice, people whether wants to argue with me instead of giving me constructive critisicm because I ask so many questions. Teachers would tell me about their job, how they like their job and how they got the job. Teachers would also teach me how to be a good member. But the teachers (except you and some others) on here apparentaly don't want to teach me like regular teachers will.

I'm here to learn, not to follow everyone's perfectation. I ask these questions for a reason. I wouldn't be asking them if I was a teacher or know how to be a teacher. I am just seeing how the teaching thing works. I love my teachers and I want to know how they teach and what rules they have to follow. THAT is why I ask questions. Now, this thread was re-opened because I didn't know every school district had the same hiring process based on the threads in the Job Seeker forums. But if people don't want to answer, then they don't have to answer. I can't force them. Now I even try to learn about the teaching aspect because people expect ME to want to be a teacher or expect ME to meet their perfectations. Like I said, I'm here to learn what teachers do, what rules they have to follow, and how they get their jobs. That does not mean I want to be at teacher. I'm not even stabilized to be a teacher because of my disorder.

Look, I'm sorry to everyone on this site. But I just want to learn about the staff in a school district. Besides, my teachers have other things to do whether than to answer my questions in real life. So why should I waste their time asking them?

36. marcus903

marcus903 Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Yes, I'm also interested in learning about principals, assistant principals, superintendent, and district-level administrations (Human Resources, PBIS, Classified Staffing).

THAT is why I ask so many questions. That was one of the reasons for the "questions for teachers" threads so I wouldn't have to post so many threads asking these questions.