Your creative "negative consequences"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrsPatten, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

What is your most creative negative consequence for misbehavior? I've tried everything with my class. Bribery, reinforcing positive behavior, guilt, anger (LOL) and it does nothing.

I'm just trying to survive these last 30-something days....

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

One thing I try to do is incorporate some type of reward for the whole class and then start taking away rewards. For example, I started something called "Behavior Dollars". All I did was printed out dollars and every Monday I give one "behavior dollar" to each child, regardless of how the previous week was. They get to start new every Monday. So on Mondays, I give a dollar to each child and their job is to "keep" the dollar all the way 'til Friday. If they keep the dollar without getting it taken away before Friday, they get to participate in Fun Friday. What I did was reversing the negative consequence in this way:
    instead of waiting until Friday to say, "Oh, you can't have Fun Friday", I leave the responsibility on them! So they are the only ones responsible for their loss of Fun Friday, I didn't "take it away" from them. I basically gave them a free pass on Monday.
    Doing it this way takes me away from being the bad guy and leave all responsibility on them. I just say, "Hey, I gave you your Behavior Dollar, you are the one who lost it!" THis way, every child gets a fair chance! Every Monday starts a new week!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

"Please see me after school."

"Thanks for remembering. Now, take out a piece of paper, and multiply your phone number (with area code) by your zip code.

The next time, I'll ask you to check it by division."

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 7, 2009

Yikes Alice! I've never heard that, but I can't wait to try it! Holy Cow! I bet that straightens them right on up!

If I'm really at the end of my rope, I just break out the cell phone. I can usually just sit it on the ledge of the board and tell them I will be happy to let them use it to call mom or dad. They know I am serious about it and it works.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

One of the few drawbacks about teaching first grade is that you don't get the same mileage out of "I'll call your mom" as with older kids.

With some, their faces light up and they ask "Can I talk to her?"

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

If I'm really in rare form, I'll ask them to square their phone number.. I haven't yet asked anyone to cube it.

But for the not-so-serious-but nuisance kids, it makes the point harmlessly.

8. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Apr 7, 2009

:rofl:

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 7, 2009

And of course, I check it by calculator!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

For awhile I was having a problem with kids saying "your mom" as a response to everything. I was getting sick of it.

One day, a kid slipped and said it to me "What are you working on?" "Your Mom." He wasn't really back talking, it just came out of his mouth so much that he couldn't control it anymore.

I made him call my mom and apologize to her. lol. It was funny, but he didn't say it anymore.

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2009

Yesterday I was sick and had a sub. I left instructions for my four 12CP classes to read chapters one and two of Frankenstein, and that my standard 12 kids could either read or go to the library to work on a project. Today this is what the sub report looked like:
    Period 1: Excellent readers.
    Period 2: Excellent readers.
    Period 3: Excellent readers.
    Period 4: Six students to library, the rest were pretty "chill."
    Period 5: IMPOSSIBLE to get them to quiet down and read. Incorrigible. Bad attitudes. Said they didn't have to do anything because they only have 31 days of school left.

Can you believe this is the behavior of college-bound seniors?! Needless to say, I read the report to them and gave them a special 10-point homework assignment: "Using any 10 words from this year's vocabulary, write a page in your composition book describing appropriate classroom behavior." And I'll check and stamp it tomorrow, you'd better believe!

12. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

I do "community service." During recess (if not on duty) the kids have to stay in and clean, organize, etc. I got this idea from the music teacher and I love it!

13. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

Silverspoon, I love that! I despise those slang terms and 'tudes' as I love to call it that come from my students.

That was a fantastic solution to a consistent problem.

14. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Apr 7, 2009

During the last weeks before summer I schedule a small cooking activity each Friday. To qualify for the cooking (and eating!) students must earn points by completing their work, good behavior, helping others, etc. You can award points for any criteria you set, and you can set the weekly goal to be any number you want.

Some of the easy cooking activities are ice cream in a bag, pizza hot dogs, no-cook strawberry tarts, nachos. Kids who do not qualify, write a paragraph explaining why they are not cooking and WATCH THE OTHER KIDS COOKING. This sounds mean, I know, but it's pretty effective in warding off "summer-itis"! If you do not want to cook, you could schedule a special craft, dance party, or video. Anything special to provide the "carrot" for the kids to strive for.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 8, 2009

I use PAT time (preferred activity time). It only lasts 10 minutes at the end of the day, but students who don't behave HATE to lose it! What the students who make good choices all day get to do is choose from a selection of games or computer activities or drawing or reading...their choice...

16. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 8, 2009

:lol: I tried this once and got the same reaction!!! :)

17. KTeach27

KTeach27 Rookie

Apr 8, 2009

LOL YESSIR U BETTER BELIEVE ALL PARENTS ARE ON SPEED DIAL and my cell phonne is right in my apron!

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 8, 2009

Wow, are you serious?

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2009

I also use logical consequences. If a kid draws on his desk, he cleans it. If there isn't a logical consequence that could follow or it would be unsafe for the student to do, then they write an apology to the class and read it outloud at the front of the room. Repeat offenders write to their parents and have to get it signed. I also make phone calls during recess and make the child talk to the parent/guardian. I;ve also taken away Friday Funday in the past, but I don't do it this year because we don' have time in our schedule for it. I do, however, take away classroom coins that they can use at our class store...and sometimes I refuse to let them shop that week :)

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2009

Wow...I try to only use my classroom phone because I don't want parents getting my cell number and calling me unexpectedly...I've had a parent take advantage of that.

21. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Apr 12, 2009

I have used my cell also and in 3 years now only one parent called me and that was to ask if her child was in class. I teach K.
    At this point in the year I establish the Red Square of Shame. I talk about it and walk around it and just plain make it terrible. They will not even walk in it during free time. They are funny. I have had one child from another class have to stand in it. The other teacher put them there. I had my class talk about how much of a bad place it was to be. They dont like it.
    I also tell my K's I will call home and they dont like it either.

22. Youngteacher226

Apr 12, 2009

Can you explain this "Red Square of Shame"?? You actually make them stand in a square?? Do the other kids look at them, make fun of them etc???? And this is Kindergarten right??:confused:

23. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Apr 12, 2009

No one stands in it. Well once but I didnt put them there. I really make it a place no one wants to be. I did not allow the children to stare or gawk we just talked about how to not get in that position. I also dont tell them it is the red square of shame. I just tell them it is a red square, it is more for my coworkkers the red square of shame.
    I dont even have to really say it. they will tell me i dont want to go to the red square. We just occasionally talk about how we can act to stay out of the red square

24. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 12, 2009

Youngteacher226 I LOVE your idea with dollar. I will def be using that my first year.
    What do you end up doing on Fridays?
    Also do you think it could work for ANY early childhood grade?

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2009

Well, not until they have the basic skills.

My 3rd grade daughter is just learning her times tables (don't get me started on that one!) And I think she only learned to carry numbers in addition this year as well.

26. Youngteacher226

Apr 13, 2009

On Fridays, I allow the students to choose the activity they want to do for a free 15 minutes! They are free to color, paint, draw, work with math manipulatives, work on the computers, play a bingo game, play a math game with a friend, lay in the "reading nook" with a good book (we have bean bags & rugs in there), basically anything that is "acceptable". My kids really enjoy earning this time.
    In addition to the free time, I incorporate some Power Teaching strategies in my classroom, so I use the tally chart where the students can earn rewards for Friday. This is different because it is a whole class reward in which the whole class works together to earn "smileys" when they are on task, following directions etc. And they can earn "saddies" when they are not on task. As long as they have earned more smileys than saddies by Friday, they can participate in a whole class activity such as a movie, popcorn treat, free time outside, whole class game etc.
    '
    I like doing individual rewards and whole class rewards because this gives all students a chance to be responsible for their own behaviors as well as contribute to the classroom community. Just like in real life.

27. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Apr 13, 2009

Great idea. Thanks so much.

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 13, 2009

youngteacher- do you do the whole class rewards weekly or on a different timed basis?

29. Youngteacher226

Apr 13, 2009

I do the whole class rewards weekly. I teach 2nd grade, so I feel like if you don't allow them to either lose or gain their reward within a week, they start to lose interest in the behavior plan all together. My students play an active role in our classroom behavior plan (i.e. they choose the reward they would like, they help establish the class rules, they hold their classmates accountable, they remind each other about the reward system, etc.) So, I allow them something to look forward to as well as look forward to starting new every week. I've had one student who used to always disrupt the class leave for home on Friday with losing his participation in Fun Friday and a red color on the chart. He left angry but I explained that no one is responsible for his behavior but HIMSELF. He came back on Monday a new student! He was happy, enthusiastic, eager to start his morning work, in full uniform and everything! He promised that he will have a great week, and guess what?? He did! He knew that he had a second chance and nothing was being held against him. I like implementing a reward system in that way.

30. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Apr 13, 2009

I'm almost at wit's end myself with a couple of my students, but we're thisclose to earning a Respect Fiesta (I needed something where nachos would be an appropriate reward :p) based on overall group behavior. We had to review our classroom expectations more explicitly in January, so having the party was the reward for meeting our goal of earning respect links that go all the way across the classroom.

For the ones who still act ridiculous, I've sent them to spend time working in pre-k/kinder classes... for most, one visit is enough, but one of my guys hasn't improved at all. Next time I think he'll have to go to his little brother's classroom... I don't know what else to do!