Your coolest (but short) activity

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissH225, Apr 19, 2010.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

Hello wonderful Kindergarten teachers-
    I have a 2nd interview for a summer teaching program at a camp here in town. I would be working with 6 and 7 year olds with two other teachers. Well this Thursday I need to come in to do an activity with the Kindergartners they have in there school year program right now.

They said most people read and book and do some sort of music/movement or some other activity. I was thinking of a craft.There really was no specific thing. I don't have to read a book.

I was thinking something like reading a book about a made up animal and then have students create an animal they made up.I wanted to do playdoh but I though just drawing might work better. Does a book like this exist?

Any other ideas? Or good books to use? Or something eles? Thanks times a million

3. kidsalot

kidsalot Comrade

Apr 20, 2010

How about "The Mixed Up Chamelon" by Eric Carle.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Apr 20, 2010

This week I am reading It looked like spilt milk. It shows pictures of different things and says it looked like a __________but it was not a ____. At the end you find out it is a cloud. After reading the book I do Spilt milk pictures.

I mix equal amounts of shaving cream and glue. I scoop a little of the mixture on blue construction paper for each child. They then finger paint a picture of anything they want. When it dries it will be puffy and white like clouds.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Apr 20, 2010

I just read "If the Dinosaurs Came Back" by Bernard Most. My kids always love that book. There is alot of stuff you could do with it.

You could also read either "Rainbow Fish" or "Dazzle the Dinosuar" (I think Marcus Pfister is the author). You can let the kids glue sequins on a cut out fish/dinosuar to look like the characters in the story. Glitter glue also works well for this. I usually put a few drops of glitter glue on the cut out and the kids smear it around with a q-tip.

6. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 21, 2010

Thanks so much! These were wonderful ideas. I have decided to read The Mixed Up Chamelon. I am just going to have them draw a mixed up animal (ex: zebra body,fish tail, bunny face). Mostly because it was my first thought and I started to get excited about it and b/c I don't have a ton of supplies and I don't want to get into anything huge b/c it will be at the end of the day and students will be leaving probably during the time. And I got the impression it would be a shorter time.

I'm still debating if I wanna have the kids cut their animal out and I'd tape it on a popsicle stick for it to be a puppet. Or just leave it on the paper? Either way hopefully we will have some time for sharing at the end. Thoughts?

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 22, 2010

I might skip the cutting part and have them share the name of the animal and what makes it different. I think they would like that. Not too complicated.

8. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 22, 2010

That's what I did. It was easy but engaging! Thanks for the help