Your classroom library!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by snickydog, Jun 23, 2008.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 23, 2008

I'm thinking about my room layout for next year and really debating about where I'm going to put my classroom library. I currently have it against my wall of windows, because I have some built-in shelves and a counter there. I was thinking maybe, JUST MAYBE, I'd use our closet area (it's about 10'x7' and entirely open on one side, with partial walls about 7' high on two sides) for the library. I'd have to buy shelves (I was thinking the garage shelves, like the ones that are two tall) and use a small bookshelf that's already in the room, and the kids would keep their coats and bookbags in tubs. However, it would be supercozy, I could easily add lamps and such, and it provides a lot of wall space for me to hang reading posters a la Beth Newingham. Also, there is a shelf above to display featured books and so on. This would mean giving up some storage space, though! (but at the same time, an excuse to purge some garbage!)

So pros: Cozy, wall space for posters, easily accessible books, room for displays
    Cons: Need to buy some shelves, coats and backpacks would need to be stored in tubs, lose storage space

However, I don't know if the trade-offs are worth it for the benefits. I want my library to be cozy and accessible, and right now (by the windows), it's neither!

Any suggestions? What does yours look like?

3. NCP

NCP Comrade

Jun 23, 2008

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

Your library is very cute... I especially like the jungle/banana/Chicka Chicka one! Did you purchase those bookshelves or were they there? I only have two in my room separate from the built-in shelving under the windows. One is about three feet high, the other is about 4 feet high. I'd probably use the low one (for fear of the other tipping - it isn't as stable, I currently use the high one for teacher resources).

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2008

Last year I made a "cave" in my room for kids to read in. It was my storage space. They used it throughout he fall whole-heartedly, and by winter only 2 girls regularly read in there. In the spring no one used it.

So this year it's storage again. See if there is a corner or something that you could use for your reading area. The books don't HAVE to be right by the reading area! In fact, it can be distracting for the kids who are reading right in there if they are looking for books. My first year at this particular school we made sort of a U with some bookshelves and the lounge in the middle, but kids were getting stepped over to get books. It wasn't the best.)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2699435590101653809mIGKQJ?vhost=good-times
    (This is "the cave" I eventually added pillows to it, and some of those plastic touch lights shaped like stars inside.)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2456110250101653809slHREp?vhost=good-times
    (This is what I am going to use for next year. )

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2753089920101653809IWsAeu?vhost=good-times
    (My "cave" is now blocked off and covered by a book shelf. I'm not sure I LOVE this layout, but it's good enough for now. It WILL be blocked off, I am just not sure with what.)

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

7. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

I like how everyone has their libraries so sectioned off! I think I might try to do the same but in the general classroom area, and keep the storage/closet area as the closet.

How many of you hold your mini-lessons/meetings/etc in the library area? I think if I do keep the library out of the closet, I'll use it as meeting space for all 30 (!) or so of my first graders. (so many of them.....) I just wish I had the surrounding wall space for things like the genre posters you have, BethMI, and the beanie strategies (I used those too!).

8. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

ARen't the beanie strategies great?!

I do use my area as my meeting area. All the gurus of Readers' Workshop say that you should have them surrounded by the books. Plus, it's the only space in my room where I could have all 28-31, depending on the year!!

I hang posters from the ceiling too, on clothespins-that might help your space problem. I have also tacked them flat onto the ceiling before.

9. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 24, 2008

Yes, I LOVE them! Your posters are different than mine (same animals, different look)... did you make them or download them?

Okay, I think I am convinced.... In the general classroom space it will be! :) I think I'll buy some of the shelving anyways and use it as a separator (a low one, though, to make it easier to check on everyone) from the rest of the room. I love having windows, but I'd LOVE to have more wall space for hanging things. Just have to work around that, I guess! :)

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2008

EEEK- storage of backpacks etc in bins sounds disastrous given that you have a closet for such purposes.

Could you move around some of the bookshelves, tables in your room to create a reading nook? Add bean bag chairs, carpet squares, ...

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jun 24, 2008

I made them.

SOunds like you have a good handle on what you will do.

12. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 25, 2008

Last year, I didn't have enough space for my students to hang up their backpacks and coats, so I used those big plastic tubs. It was not a pretty sight. It also always became messy during dismissal time or when a student had to leave immediately. I'm so happy I have a closet for their stuff this year. :D