Your Classroom Library

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by flowerpower31, Jul 21, 2012.

1. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Jul 21, 2012

Do you allow your preschoolers to have access to all your library books at all times or do you rotate them and let the kids have access only to books that are relative to your current theme/season/holiday?

I'm thinking I want to let my class have access to all books at all times, but I'm not totally sure yet.

If you do rotate them, how do you go about storing ones that aren't out for the kids to access?

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 21, 2012

I let them have access, and I rotate them. I usually put out books related to the learning going on, and interests of the students. I put out the book I use for story time.

I store the rest on a bookshelf in my office. I have also stored them in baskets, boxes, and cubbies.

I think the rule is 5 books out per child.

4. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 22, 2012

I couldn't possible put out all of the books at one time. There's just too many of them.

We put out books that relate to our themes and the children's interest. There's typically between 50 and 100 books put out for the children at all times.

5. Teacher87

Teacher87 Rookie

Jul 27, 2012

I put out limited books in my library, due to space and organization, but I rotate them based on our themes, and probably switch out books every couple of weeks.

6. melnm

melnm Companion

Jul 27, 2012

I also have way too many books to have them all out at one time. I rotate them based on what we're learning about and kids' interests.

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 27, 2012

Like everyone else, I rotate, store on a bookshelf in another location and base my choices on interests, reading level, book skills, holidays and what not. I also make sure include in each selection (or just fail to rotate) poetry, non fiction, drawing books and multicultural fiction and non fiction. I include books as guides in centers as well, for instance in the doctor area I would include a book where the character is actually going to the doctor and perhaps a non fiction book on what the doctors office looks like. I would also include in the doctor area "log book" and pencil where the kids "write doctor notes". I am always very impressed that with all the freely accessible writing implements and the freely accessible books...we didn't have more errant marks...but my kids do GREAT!

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2012

I have one of those "library book stands" but this year will NOT be using them for free reign books. Instead I will offer a selection of a few books ~ and rotate them every week. LOVE when kids want to 'free read' but, my room is often used for aftercare ~ and by the end of the day ALL the children left are in that room and have had to throw many books away this year. :(

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

Don't throw your books away before you cut out the pictures!
    You can laminate them and use them for flash cards or just have them in a bin with the words printed on them of what they are!
    It's a GREAT reading starter for the younger children.

Rebel1

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 28, 2012

We used the pictures to modge podge an old wooden chair into a "story chair" for our parents to sit in in order to read to our kids! Don't just throw the books away!

besides you can put the pages in the free to cut bin!

11. preteach

preteach Rookie

Jul 28, 2012

I also rotate by themes or seasons for our main bookshelf and keep the majority sorted in baskets in the closet. I also put some books scattered throughout the room and bring books from the public library.

12. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

They have access to all books on the shelf- I have WAY too many books to put out at once. I put theme related books out for each new theme, but I also have other books that are not theme related (I change those books out every other month or so). I also have class made books on the shelf all year! I believe we have 8-10 books per child out.

I store most of my books I am not using in plastic totes in my home (I dont have an office or big storage closet). I usually follow the same themes every year, so I have one tote for Aug-Oct, another for Oct-Dec, another for Dec-March, and March-May. I bring the tote to school and the beginning of Aug, Oct, Dec and March and store it in a cabinet.