Your Christmas Break Plans?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 1, 2014

Christmas, 2014

I'm not at a school this yr, so the 2 wks you all get off is like any other wk to me. I always have 3-4 wks off from grad school since my classes end on 12/12. I'd love to go out of town for a few days, but we'll see. I'm going to an arts & crafts faire, which I've been going to about every other year for the past several yrs.

2. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 1, 2014

Here we are...another year flew by. This year we get off on the 18th. Don't have many plans other than just enjoying the time off and visiting the theme parks.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2014

Not sure what this year will be like. We just now have an official word that my wife is staying at the store she is currently at, so we're restarting our search for apartments/condos/etc... in the area. We might move within the next week, or it might be in a month...who knows! Other than that, I'm sure I'll spend some time retooling some things in the classroom, doing some deeper planning, plenty of shopping, doing holiday celebrations with each section of our family (divorced parents on both sides), and tons of relaxation! Maybe I'll go through the millions of boxes I have of childhood things and decide what is going to be kept, donated, or recycled/trashed.

I can already tell how much better I felt today than I usually do on Mondays...I think that bit of extra relaxation that I forced myself to take over Thanksgiving break was well-needed and extremely helpful.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 1, 2014

Our baby furniture should be arriving in a few weeks, so we'll be putting the nursery together. This includes building new shelving for the basement, and re-arranging a few closets. I'll probably spend all of my time off "nesting." ;)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2014

We're off for 2 full weeks, starting at 3:00pm on the 19th!

Christmas is quiet here--I'm looking forward to my kids being home and my mom coming to spend a few days. Christmas Day it will just be the four of us, my mom and, hopefully, my mother-in-law. We're going to my sister's on Boxing Day for our "big" dinner. Looking forward to lots of reading, relaxing, good food, laughter (and more than a few glasses of wine!)

6. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 2, 2014

No Christmas break for me... In fact I'll be working a double (16hrs) on Christmas Eve and 8 on Christmas Day...

This is one of the MANY reasons I'm excited to get through my student teaching and get a teaching job. Holidays and Weekends off... WHAT!? :-D

7. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 2, 2014

We get off from 3pm on 12/23 and go back Mon. 1/5. We are going to spend Thursday-Sunday with my family. During this time we are also going to decide on tuxes and the catering menu for our wedding. Sometime we will have Christmas with his family, but I haven't heard a date yet (it is only his parents, his sister and her husband, and us). Other than that, hopefully a lot of relaxation time!!!

8. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I guess I can say that I get a Christmas break. From both classes for me before Spring semester starts & my social work internship is at the school district. The last day is 12/18 at 3pm (I will be leaving around 12pm that day) and they go back on 1/5.

My plans....
    ~sleep
    ~read a book that is not school related
    ~work on gathering more information for the non profit I want to start
    ~ hopefully figure out what we want to do for the nursery so we can make a plan to start putting it together
    ~make some cookies!!
    ~maybe make a day trip to Omaha or Sioux Falls at some point (though I say that now and it probably won't happen)
    ~ did I mention sleep?

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2014

Exactly! Black Friday this year was the 1 year anniversary for when I had my final day in retail (in preparation for a maternity leave job that would end up starting just a week or so later). Granted, that was 3.5 years after student teaching, but hey, it's over with now!

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 2, 2014

Can you describe Boxing day? We were having a discussion in class today but I didn't know what people do on that day (I looked it up and it didn't seem like a holiday or maybe I read the wrong thing??).

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 2, 2014

I'm like many of you, I look forward to that 2:30 or 3:00 time on the dot to be officially on break as well!

Ah, I've worked my share of retail! Nordstrom kids' shoes, Robinson's May (now Macy's) lingerie, Guess store, very briefly Marshall's & the San Francisco Music Box Co., & a boutique called Vertigo. Nordstrom was the one I had always wanted to work at, so I'm glad I got to work there. They seem so long ago. No holidays off there!

12. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Dec 2, 2014

I resigned this year to be a SAHM so I don't have an official "break". Over Christmas we are going back to our home town. I am equally excited and nervous as this will be the first time we're flying with the baby. She is overall really good but she has learned that she can scream/squeal very loudly when she is happy and once she starts she doesn't typically stop for awhile. I just have my fingers, toes, eyes, etc. crossed that she'll be out of this phase by the time we leave because I cannot even imagine what I would do if she started that on the flight! :eek:

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 2, 2014

We are off two full weeks. I've scheduled my checkup, as usual. I'll spend Christmas Eve at Mom's. Try to get together with BF. That's about it.

14. WarriorPrncss

WarriorPrncss Companion

Dec 3, 2014

I figured most retail places would at least be closed on Christmas Day.

I'm an Officer with the County Probation Dept and I am based at a Juvenile Detntion Center. I rank 18/35 so getting Christmas vacation time was never going to happen.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 4, 2014

I've been attending college/grad school practically all of my adult life. This should be my very LAST holiday break from classes, in which I'll have a nice 5 wks off until my spring course. Hallelujah! :)

Nice WarriorPrncss.

16. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 4, 2014

One of my girls does this also! The scream sounds like a bat and is so,so loud. She can scream like this for a half an hour, happy as can be

17. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 4, 2014

How are the girls, Sue? :)

18. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Dec 5, 2014

How old are your girls? Mine is almost 7 months and this is absolutely her new favorite trick. We call it the pterodactyl but bat would be a good description too. She has replaced laughter with screaming in happiness instead. Sometime I'm afraid to interact too much in public because now instead of laughing or talking she just starts the screaming and the whole room jumps. :eek: I can only shudder to think of what that would be like on a plane!

19. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Dec 15, 2014

Im off starting the 19--but grades are due by 10 am that day. I'm seriously worried about how I am going to get five classes of essay exams graded in two evenings. I know it will get done, but my husband and one-year-old daughter will suffer my absence. =(

Well, on the Solstice we're having our annual Yule Goat party. We build a goat out of sticks, all our friends write things they hope for and want to leave behind and stick them in there, then we burn it in the fire pit. I'll make a big roast and black-eyed peas. I'm going to try making Christmas mulled wine, too. We'll then retire indoors to watch terrible Christmas movies lke "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians".

Christmas Eve we are starting our very first family traditions. We all got new pajamas to open, and we'll leave cookies for Santa. We'll go see my side of the family that afternoon, and my husband's side around noon the next day.

The rest of the break will be spent working on the English department Common Core curriculum overhaul. I have a stipend coming for doing this project, which I really need, so I've got to get that done.

I also need to try to transition my daughter into her own bed for sleeping instead of with us. I'm scared about this, but it must be done, as I'm not sleeping well anymore and my work abilities are suffering. Man, this break is not sounding like much fun! I'll have to add in some sledding and art projects to alleviate that.

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2014

We are off Dec 25-Jan 4.
    Typically we would go back Dec 29-31 too.
    No one is sure why not this year...but we're thrilled!
    Some complaints from families that rely on school for child care. sigh.

With that said...
    Church the 24th
    25th home with the 5 of us...presents, games, sledding/skating, naps, food
    26th Husband's family Christmas bowling followed by hanging out
    27-28 My family Christmas water park
    29 Hopefully Pj day
    30 Boys having friends over for skating/sledding/indoor play
    31 Badger basketball game with family friends followed by at home games with these families
    1st watch badger football at home followed by serving a meal to homeless
    2nd hopefully pj day
    3rd boys basketball tourney
    4th hopefully pj day
    5th school

I am quite excited. Planning on no school work and no teachers pay teachers either. I need to escape that world a bit. After Jan 4...No scheduled break until summer.

21. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 15, 2014

We have 2 whole weeks (I've never heard of having less, actually!) We'll be spending the first week in southern CA (where we moved from in July) - friend and family time and a day at Disneyland! :D

The second week will be relaxing and also work. I have a lot of long and short term planning to do - being in a new grade level at a new school will do that for you.

I am SO ready for break!

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

I have a nice, long break from my grad courses (5 wks), then in Jan., I need to study like mad for a couple HUGE exams! :dizzy: I already started reaching out to classmates to help give me any & all info they can about these exams. Just ordered a study book that's normally around $130+, but found it cheapest at B&N and had a coupon that took $21 off!

I plan to exercise again, eat right, & get into better shape.

BF & I will go to some fun places: Day trips to L.A., movies, dining out, etc. Maybe San Diego & California Adventure.

I'm meeting up w/ a gal pal & hopefully, a couple others!

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2014

we're you looking to join a study group in which you would share notes/coach each other? Or we're you primarily looking for classmates to give you what they have?

I work until Tuesday next week. Christmas eve at my siser's hose. Brunch on Christmas at mom and ads with siblings, nieces, nephews, BILs...we do gift exchange where everyone picked a name nd shopped for one person.
    Weekend after Chrstmas headed north to visit I was overnight.
    Spending rest of week off with dh...fires in fireplace, snuggling while watching movies, a day trip to NYC.
    I'll also be working on organizing and planning for an upcoming workshop I'm facilitating.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 16, 2014

Either one...whatever they're willing to do. I've already heard back from about 5 classmates. One was so incredibly helpful & we already talked by phone! She's willing to get her notes/book & meet me so I can borrow them for a few mos or so, then I'll give them back to her. I'm willing to do that. I'll probably offer her some money, Starbucks gift card, or something for her time. It's so nice that out of any random group of people, there always seems to be someone who goes above & beyond & is genuinely nice!

25. P Chang

P Chang Companion

Dec 17, 2014

I just started two grad school classes this week. Normally, there'd be no way in hell I could keep up with them both (they're accelerated...6 weeks long...so they're quite demanding time-wise). But, since next week starts a 2-week break, I figured I could work ahead in both classes during that time so I won't fall behind once they start up again. That's the plan anyway. Now I just need to ensure I don't slack off.

After I finish these 2 classes, I'll only have 7 more to go. Can't quite see the light at the end of the tunnel, but at least it's progress.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2014

I can finally, finally have a little relaxation as of NOW! :dizzy:

I finished my latest 2 grad courses last Fri, sent off a few important emails, finished my last grad school assignment, etc. I can finally do some fun reading, etc.

Let's see, it's 11pm...I think I'll watch a little TV because I'm not sleepy just yet.

(Jan, 19th, the grind starts back up, but I don't want to think about that! :mad:)

27. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 19, 2014

My break will be super busy, but I love it. Tonight, a friend is having a group over for board games. Tomorrow is our monthly board game meet up. Sunday, we are going down to New Orleans to tend to see a Saints game. On Christmas Eve, we'll go to my husband's family, where I plan to spoil my little godson to no end! Christmas Day, we'll spend with my dad, before flying on the 26th to see my mom. We'll get back on the 29th, and head back home either that night or early the next day. New Years is our ten year anniversary of being a couple, so we'll celebrate that in some way. I also plan to go see Into the Woods with some former students who I directed in that show, and meet a few other former students out for coffee different times.

So busy, but doing things I've! Plus I'm planning a few days to just sit and veg out, and some time to work ahead on grad school.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2014

"Sigh" is a very nice response to those complaints so kudos to you.:)

Also, do you have to teach on Christmas Eve? Is this a public school? :eek::eek:

29. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2014

That's sad that teachers and students can't have a nice holiday break without complaints. Why do people bother having kids if they want people to take care of them every dang day? Just...:dizzy: I've heard every excuse in the book but it still is sad.

30. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Dec 19, 2014

Read!!!!!!! I'm already browsing Amazon for books to download to my Kindle. We have the usual Christmases and dinners and what not, which I love, but...I also love to stay up late in the complete and total silence with hot chocolate and my book. Bliss.

31. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 19, 2014

Oh, I'll be reading as many books as I can. I have hoarded at least 50 books on my NOOK which were all free plus some from the library :)

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 19, 2014

Speaking of reading, I'll be reading The New Lean for Life.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 21, 2014

On Christmas Day, my BF & I will visit my parents & we'll have so many goodies for them! Then later, my BF will take me out to dinner, but we may do that the following evening since dining out on the holiday dates themselves is so crowded & I never cared whether we did it on the actual day.

34. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2014

Yes it is a public school and yes we have ALWAYS taught on Christmas Eve Day.

35. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 21, 2014

I was off starting Friday so I shopped at Trader Joe's and got a bunch of stuff! I also went to a few other stores and got presents for my nephew and my husband. Just need to buy a few more presents then wrap them. Going to my mil's house Christmas eve the having people over or Christmas dinner. Hopefully I will get all the groceries needed tonight then just have to pick up some wine tomorrow!

36. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2014

Oh my.:(. Seems Scrooge-y....

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 21, 2014

I need to finish my shopping and do some baking. But tomorrow I'm having lunch with some friends. The rest will happen when it happens. :)

38. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2014

Most of the baking is done. Tomorrow, I need to hit the mall as soon as it opens to finish the shopping. I know most of what I need to get, just need to get it bought.

Have all of the wrapping to do and I guess I should decide what sides I'll be making to go with the turkey on Thursday.

I'm hoping that the weather forecast continues to improve for Thursday--my mom is driving about 4.5 hours, and I'm hoping the roads are good for her.

39. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 21, 2014

Agreed. BF's family celebrates on Christmas Eve and they're two hours away. There's no way I could do that.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 22, 2014

Gotta run & do some quick last Christmas shopping & a couple other errands. Hope it's not mayhem on a weekday afternoon!