Your Childhood Memories

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2008

When you look back at your childhood, what memories/events stick out the most?

Here's my list:

- Family vacations to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Vegas, San Fransisco, Catalina, Hawaii.

- My first days of school...they were always exciting!

- The end of school when yearbooks came out & it was so important at the time to get as many people to sign/write in your yearbook as possible.

- Halloweens at school. I especially loved the year I was a Jack the Box, a princess, & a cowgirl. My mom made most of my costumes.

- School recess time. I loved playing tag, handball, Chinese jacks, Chinese jumprope, & playing on the bars. I was one of the best in all that.

- My parents taking me to the musicals I love today & more: The Nutcracker, Cats, Swan Lake, Les Miserables, & many others.

- Going to Knott's Berry Farm & Disneyland.

- Christmases, back when I stil believed in Santa, leaving cookies out for him, & waking up early to open presents.

- The time my parents & I rented a motorhome.

- When my mom would regularly take my cousin & I ice skating, then bowling.

- Watching my favorite TV shows (Little House on the Prarie, Family Ties, & Today's Special to name a few out of many).

- The only year I actually had a big b-day party w/ classmates & all. I was seven. It was at Shakey's Pizza & my dad did magic tricks.

- Taking classes every summer: Tons of science ones, math, calligraphy, arts & crafts, tennis, cartooning, ballet, tap dance, piano, knitting.

- When I used to take piano lessons from ages 7-17 & the numerous recitals I performed in.

- The great feeling when report cards came out.

- My best friends from preschool to 6th gr: Nancy, Amy, Alison, Matthew, Veronica, Alexis. It would be a hoot to see them & find out what they're all doing now! I know Alexis is a lawyer.

- The pets I've had: Dogs, canary, rabbits, tons of fish, small turtle, hermit crabs. I remember all their names (didn't have names for the fish & crabs)

- All the times my mom & I would eat out after school before going to my piano lessons.

- Playing w/ Cabbage Patch dolls, my many Barbies, paper dolls, Scrabble, checkers, Connect Four, Operation...loved Candyland!

- Subscribing to the magazines, Highlights, 321 Contact, Barbie, & Cricket.

- My 1st video game console, an Atari 600XL. I remember never being able to find many video games for that system.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head!

3. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

Your post made me smile :) Here are some of my favorite childhood memories:

- Swimming in my pool ALL day long

- Playing Cops & Robbers with all the neighborhood kids

- Bike riding ALL over town with my dad

- Sledding with friends at the "Big Hill" and we'd always crash at the end because we went SO fast

- Decorating the Christmas Village with my mom

- All my pets including Ninny the fat orange cat, Precious the white cat with one blue eye and one green eye, Frisky the hamster who liked to bite, Fishy and Goldy the fish who lived a really long time but died once we moved to Maryland - I guess they HATED the water, Snowny the rabbit, the Guinea Pig who had somewhat of a tragic death, Lovey and her six kittens, a hermit crab, and the animals that are still alive are Booty and Snuggles the cats, Max the dog, and living with me are Ruckus the rottweiler, Lucky the cat, and Monty the snake. Geesh, that's a lot of writing!

- Playing Super NES with my friends until we beat a game

- Playing Barbies. I had Barbie everything - Dream House, Country Cottage, Limo, Jeep, Corvette, etc.

- Going to the Outer Banks with our family friends and experiencing the "Kiddie Krusher" waves

- Going to Knoebels with our family friends and all the fun times there

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Hey, I just discovered Knobels! I love it

_ swimming ALL day and spending the whole summer with my grandparent's in Florida.
    -

going to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg

going to Hershey Park

5. titansrst

titansrst Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

The truth?

Hiding underneath my bed scared as my mother was beaten by her husband

Me being slapped across the floor because i knocked down his drink or defended my mom as she was being attacked

having to fight every day for a couple of weeks in school Because I was only one of two african-american children at an otherwise all-white school in NY. I didn't lose one of those fights;

putting baseball cards in the bottom of my shoes to cover up the holes;

learning to sew and patch up pant holes early;

being new to a community and having only two kids show up to my 10 year old birthday party....i have never had a party since...and this was 40 years ago

However....there was only one good thing I'll always cherish from those days....the hugs and I love yous that came from my hero....my mom

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 12, 2008

titansrst, I'm sorry that you didn't have the happy childhood that you deserve. Hopefully, you've found that happiness in your adult life! :)

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

Things I remember:

yearly vacations to go fishing in Canada. We only stopped for gas & to sleep. We got food when we got gas. It was about an 18 hour drive.

Going to my Grandmother's every Christmas Eve for dinner. How did she get the sleigh bells to ring outside the window when we were 2 stories up? Santa Claus also stopped one year, he came to the front door! My Grandmother was a live-in housekeeper & we never used the front door.

threatening to run-away & my Mom making me apologize to my Dad about it. I was only 10, don't remember why I wanted to runaway.

Memorial Day mornings, by the pond with my Dad's cousins.

Birthday parties with Calamity Kate or on the set of Romper Room. Both were kids shows & you could have your birthday party on them. Missing a friend's birthday party because I was sick, they brought me candy from Calamity Kate.

My mom having my baby brother 2 months early, he only lived 2 days. My 2nd grade teacher being nice about it when I came back to school in the fall.

Hmm, some good memories & some not so happy memories. Snowmen, sledding, fishing, playing outside.

8. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 12, 2008

I have a lot of memories similar to titanrst, but the good ones are:
    -waking up after my kdg. shots and watching the dust dance in the sunbeam
    -my cats having kittens and the way that Kiki would climb on my screen to come in
    -playing hide-n-seek with the boys in the neighborhood (only girl)
    -building snow forts and playing outside all day
    -coming home and smelling fresh baked bread (we couldn't afford store bread)
    -Mom taking me all over town to find the right shoes for my prom dress, then staying up all night to see how it went
    -having to take care of Mom when she got cancer, then help with my brothers after she died
    -going to Mamaw's house in the summer (she had a/c)
    -winning state fair in 4H, winning a trophy for French in HS, and getting a C+ in HS Phys Ed. and none of it was good enough

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

For me number one was my grandparents! My mom was a single mom until I was 8 and we lived with my grandparents (her parents). They were dutch and my grandmother always called me her eighth daughter. My grampa was gruff, but I could always see through that tough exterior and he was always a sweetheart to me. All of my most gentle traits I got because of them. To this day, I love to hear someone speak with a Dutch accent - it brings music to my ears. My grampa was a security guard at the hospital and he worked nights. When he would come home in the morning, he would leave a package of Glossettes Raisins on the back step for me to go out and find. I would cuddle with him in his big easy chair and once he and I entered the local Pet Parade (I won a Mickey Mouse Game) for having the furriest dog (a Samoid Husky). We would play a game with our hands where we would take turns putting one hand on top of the other and keep going until our hands got all mixed up, He always watched All in The Family (which I still love to this day, mainly because it takes me back to that time). My Gramma was just always there, they took me in again when my step dad kicked me out of the house at 15 (I hated him for messing up the good life I had with my grandparents and making me move away from them, and he didn't make much of an effort to build a relationship with me although he was never abusive - now we get along). I lost grampa in 1988 and Gramma in 2000 and I still miss them as much as ever.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 13, 2008

Everyone's memories have been an interesting read! :)

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

Titansrst I am sorry you had a bad childhood. Many of our students have childhoods like that. I am glad you had a caring mom and have made it to adulthood.

My childhood memories are:
    getting the mumps at the same time my best friend did and missing school a week and missing trick or treating

planning out our route for Halloween to get the best candy

Car trips from the Midwest out to the West for vacation

Christmas mornings

spending a week at my grandmas- my cousins lived 3 houses away- we had so much fun!

Playing with my friends

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

My childhood was very far from perfect, but I miss it terribly. Childhood is absolutely precious, and that is something I truly try to convince my sixth grade students of - slow down, enjoy this!

I have a brother two years older than me, one younger brother, and four younger sisters - plus Mom ran a daycare in our home until she completely disabled...so I have many memories! Some of the best:

- Making massive hay tunnels in the barn. The best part was when we would run the tunnels over the throw-down holes, so when you were crawling through the total darkness you would fall to the trough below (padded with more hay of course!).

- Trying to build rafts to use in the creek. Never quite mastered that.

- Sledding down the hills all over the farm on old couch cushions, tarps (ouch!), and whatever else we could find.

- My playhouse. My dad built it for us, and I remember going back with him to an old abandoned "ghost" house to take the front door to use for the playhouse. It was perfect (to me). About four years ago my Dad casually mentioned on the phone he tore it down. My heart broke. I even wrote a paper about it for Advanced Composition in college.

- Lightning bugs!

- Vacation Bible School

- Getting away from it all, having a million quiet places spread over the countryside.

- Picking berries (even though I didn't eat them) and snapping green beans. I hated shucking corn though!

- "Helping" dad in the milking parlor by turning all the valves to release the milk into the tank.

- This isn't exactly nice, but my brother and sister played a game when we were young to see who could sneak into the living room after bedtime without Mom knowing we were in the room (she's blind). It was hard because she has incredible hearing! We sometimes would have to make it to the kitchen and bring something back as proof.

- My brother had these devilish system of "Sissy Points" in which he used to get whatever he wanted from my me and my sister. It worked like this: He would ask for one of us to get his shoes from his bedroom, for example, and let's say neither of us wanted to...he would then say that it would be worth 50, 100, maybe even a thousand Sissy Points, and so then my sister and I would argue over who would get the shoes and the Sissy Points. One day we finally realized that we couldn't redeem those Sissy Points for anything and it was all a scam playing on our desire to be the best sister.

- My brother, by the way, was also the "town" (house) banker and judge, meaning that my sister and I had to put pennies each day in an old rubber kick ball that had popped that sat beside his door so he could "take care of the money for us", and if ever my sister and I had an argument, we had to go to him and he would help solve it (for more money, of course). Gosh, what a brat he was to scam us like that!

- At Christmas Mom would always tell each of us one thing the other person got, and I remember one year specifically when my siblings called a meeting under a folding table covered with a sheet to reveal what we knew. :)

- Just being kids, being creative, and making something to do to entertain us (rather than just stare at the tv all day).

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Just me you took mine...lightning bugs
    -playing in the cornfields...hide & seek.
    -horseback riding whenever we wanted to (pretty much)...yup my own pony!!!
    -playing with all my cousins all summer
    -barefeet (how did we not step on more things beyond me...although I do have a few scars)
    -trying to climb that tree my boy cousins could & we couldn't
    -cousin coaxing me into cleaning up his room for one mento... YES 1!!!
    -playing school with cousins in this tiny unairconditioned closet (OLD farmhouse) & loving every minute!!!
    -swimming/sunburns
    -campfires
    -eating grampas homegrown corn on the cob with butter dripping to our elbows & laughing at the boy cousins who had to spend all day in the fields picking (girls couldn't do that....grampa-ism fo ya).
    -My mom canning lots of stuff for the winter & helping out when it was fun. ;) Peaches, pears, freezing corn.

14. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

Oh Justme! You reminded me of summer. My grandparents grew a garden in our backyard (we lived in the country). My grandmother taught me which of the wild greens were okay to eat and helped me harvest them. We grew green beans, tomatoes, peppers, beets, and collard greens--and then canned them. I picked berries in the field behind the house, collected crab apples, and harvested rhubarb and Mama made jelly from them. In the fall we'd dig up the potato patch and go apple picking at the prison--their orchards were open to the public for a few weeks. Mom & Dad would take the boys and go strawberry picking and I would hull and freeze their haul (because I was the only one who wouldn't eat them). We had lemon balm and sweet william growing around the house and a huge maple tree in the front yard. It was fun to lie on our backs under the tree and look up through the leaves at the sky. We'd harvest mushrooms and the neighbors kept us supplied in extra veggetables by tossing their extras over the fence. We had our own herb garden and I'd try to keep ahead of the dill--never did. I forgot all about the scads of things we grew (each year we tried one new thing): squash, zucchini, Jeruselum artichokes, broccoli, asparagras, pumpkins, watermelons, peas, black eyed peas, early & late lettuce, onions, garlic, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, and corn. I'm sure there were others, but that's what I can recall.

Funny, I absolutely HATED working in the garden getting hot & sweaty and I would love to have one now. Still hate the hot & sweaty part, but I miss the homemade taste.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 14, 2008

JustMe, wow, one of seven kids! I'm an only child, so I'll never know what that feels like.

Here's more to my 1st post:

I also remember getting getting the chicken pox in 2nd grade & being out for two wks.

I remember the school plays I was in, especially the couple I had a major role in!

I remember knocking my two front teeth loose & being taken to the dentist.

I remember accidentally poking my leg w/ the point of the scissors & being taken to the pediatrician.

I remember crying when my rabbit got killed by the neighbor's dog. The neighbors didn't do a thing about it, but my parents bought me another one.

My mom & grandmother used to sell Avon, so I remember helping them stamping the name/address on the books, putting the products in the bags, going to mk house calls.

16. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

Hmmmmm...

Decorating for Christmas at my grandma's house with her, until late hours of the night

Growing up at my grandma's house w/my sister and cousins

Birthday parties in the backyard of our old house

Taking naps with my best friend (my grandma's dog hehe) when I was tired of playing in the late afternoons

Not wanting to go to Kindergarten and trying to convince my grandma to let me stay home with her...hehe

Going on family vacations with my family and my aunt and uncle

Going on vacation around the U.S. whenever my year round schedule gave us that month or so off

---There's a little more, but those are the biggest ones

:)

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

-Family trips are really up there. I was blessed to have parents that took us to neat & even out of state places. I can say yup been there & there.

-Growing up with a sister (For those who have you know the good /bads) but wouldn't change it for the world.

-Being lucky to have loads of cousins older/younger/my age always around to hang out with as kids & as we grew up...never needed a playmate.... a phone & a pathway!!!

Just Me...I looked back at yours about picking blueberries...I always wondered why they never weighed people going into the blueberry patch & then when you came out. I think we ate as many as we picked.... I know what about the pesticides...Aww just a little rub on your shirt... YUMMY!!!