Your boy got a J-O-B

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mistah, Apr 28, 2010.

1. mistah

mistah Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

Hey all,
    I'm elated to say that I just received a job offer for a 4th grade position in public school setting. It's a little surreal considering I just completed my interview with HR on Monday, my name was passed out yesterday, and I had the interview today. Although I haven't signed the contract yet, it is 99.9 % a done deal. It seems like an awesome school...real big....but the poverty level is 70%.
    Two questions:
    - If you were me would you cancel the other interviews (I have 3),
    or do them just in case?
    - Does anyone work in a high poverty school? Can you tell me what it's like?

Advice to people still looking for jobs:
    1. DON'T GIVE UP...I know it's cliche but don't...
    2. Don't read posts on here or anywhere else that tell about how depressing the job outlook for next year is. While the economy is obviously down, there are jobs to be had and as long as you believe, and treat the job fairs as a full time job, the job is yours for the taking.
    3. I created a video resume, brochure, and a website as something to give me a little edge over the competition...I have an interview this next week (which I probably won't go to) that is a HIGHLY prestigious private school in Alexandria, VA. They had HUNDREDS of applications...i've only taught for one year....why were they going to fly me out and pay for a hotel on their bill? Well...of course I had to interview well but the only reason I received the interview was b/c of my video resume. If you're curious and would like to see what I'm talkin about, feel free to PM me and I will help out as much as possible!!

**The only reason I put the advice at the bottom is I know how frustrating it can be as people say how they received a job b/c I've read all the other posts and have thought...wow good for them....why aren't I getting a job? I'm here to say that with a positive attitude, hard work, goals, creativity, and treating it as if it's a full time job, your dream may just come true!!

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 28, 2010

Wow, that is terrific! Congrats!

I wouldn't cancel the other interviews without a signed contract in hand. At the very least, it is great to have more interviewing experience.

I work in a high poverty district. Some people love it (I do), some people struggle with it. Your best bet is to study up on classroom management (read The First Days of School, the Fred Jones book, etc.) and be a strong classroom manager.

I have a feeling you will do very well, since it is clear you have a drive to succeed. Good luck!

4. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 28, 2010

Don't cancel until you sign a contract. Even with a LOI, they may hire enough people between now and next week that another chance to sign the contract won't be offered to you

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2010

Congratulations! And thanks for the encouragement and advice! I agree with other posters to go on other interviews until it is 100% official.

6. EZLN1

EZLN1 Companion

Apr 28, 2010

Congrats! Always good to hear positive stories in these times.
    Like others have mentioned, go to the interviews. You never know, you might get offered another job that may be an even better fit than the one currently offered.

7. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 28, 2010

I PMed you....but I work in a Title One school....80% of our students are on free and reduced lunches. There are pluses to working with these students but there are negatives. Since this is my first job I can only speak from my experiences at this one school. Yes there are behavior problems and I found I had to be strict. AND you will have to understand their background knoweldge of things can be limited, ie some of my students had never seen tarnish on silver so I brought in a piece of silver with tarnish. This limited background knowledge can make teaching challenging but I found that it has made me a better teacher because I MUST provide visuals and hands on expeirences for them to motivate them and help them learn.

I will apply to other Title One schools but I will apply to schools with middle and high SES. You never know until you try it. There are some teachers who love working with poor students while others just cannot. I'm somewhere in the middle. I wish I had been given another year to see if I liked it or not but that is not the cards I was dealt.

Good luck...and YES keep interviewing until the contract is signed.

8. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2010

Isn't there some sort of student loan forgiveness for working in a title one school? I dont know if that is only in NY or everywhere.

Congrats!

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 28, 2010

:celebrate: CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS mistah!

I would also reconsider cancelling your other interviews.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Woohoo!!!

11. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

I am new, so am unable to PM. Could you please PM me more info about your video resume/website?

12. Nguyenap87

Nguyenap87 Rookie

Apr 28, 2010

Congratulations! I would also like to know more about your video resume. Would you PM me as well?

13. texjess2010

texjess2010 Companion

Apr 29, 2010

congrats and thanks for the advice!! your attitude shows why you were hired! you're an original! best of luck to you!!

14. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Apr 29, 2010

Yes and it is federal so it is all over the country. Check out the requirements with you student loan servicer. I think it is 3 or 5 years that you have to work for a Title I school.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 29, 2010

Congrats!! Do NOT cancel those other interviews until you have a signed contract in hand.