Your Boss!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms. I, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 2, 2006

Spill it! Do you have any venting about your boss or want to share any stories, good or bad? Who's the worst boss you ever had & why? What makes a good boss? (Doesn't just have to be a boss in the teaching field).

Honestly, I've been blessed to have pretty good bosses from what I can remember. I think the prefect boss to have, other than being my own boss, would be the boss of Christina Applegate on that movie Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

The traits of a good boss is professionalism. They should treat everyone as a professional, from the custodian up to the CEO. They should be pleasant to work with, personable & down to earth & not be on a high horse.

3. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 2, 2006

The principal at the school I just left was amazing. We cried together when I left. She is supportive, caring, and understanding. She does everything in her power to make sure we know how much she values us. She includes the staff on important decisions in the school. She is there when you need to cry and celebrates with us too! I don't know what else to say, I was very blessed to have her as my boss in my first teaching position.

4. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jul 2, 2006

My current boss is very unprofessional. It is at an after school program. She has hired her friends at higher pay rates, sleeps with male employees then fires them when they want to stop, buys minors drinks, talks bad about employess, parents and kids, the list goes on...I am glad I only have to put up with her for a little while longer till I start my teaching job.

5. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 2, 2006

good grief, that kind of thing disgusts me.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2006

My last principal told me several times that if she had a 3rd grade opening--it was mine. Every time we talked, she told me that. She told me before she posted the opening and made sure I knew about it and put in my letter of interest. When it came time to interview, I felt very confident! Why shouldn't I? She told me many times that the third grade would be mine. I had worked at that school for 6 years!!! I had the support of the whole school.
    Guess what? I didn't get it.
    I talked with my mentor who was on the panel and out of 7 members of the panal, I had the approval of 6. The principal decided against me. To add insult to injury, she didn't call to tell me. She had the teacher who served as a principal intern the previous year do it. Then she told the panel members not to talk about it, or else.

Needless to say, I'm holding a grudge against her. :mad:

7. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

My last boss scared me so badly, when it came time for observations, I sweat, stammered, and shook so bad I'm not surprised she didn't ask me back. There was something primal she set off in me; I felt like a prey animal! After my interview, she stood right over me and commanded me to "keep those kids in line". I felt like I had done something wrong and I was going to ISS! She never spoke to me unless I had made a mistake, and would often speak to everyone AROUND me rather than to me. ("You kids get in Mrs. Goatess' room! Why didn't she tell you to get inside?" "You teachers need to focus more on [my subject area]." [To a team of middle school teachers])

I needed a job so badly, but there's no way I'd work for that grinch unless I was starving.

8. Sarah5483

Sarah5483 Companion

Jul 3, 2006

Ouch! That would make me furious! I would be holding a grudge as well terpto. What a bummer. :(

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

I worked in daycare for about 8 months - located in an elem. school. My boss (she had teenage children) was cheating on her husband with the guy who was putting in new windows in the school. We used to find her straddling him in her office or making out in the boot room. She would hold his hand in front of the children. The older students used to tease her and tell her that they knew her boyfriend's name. She knew that all of the parents knew that she was married but she did not care.

Her husband found out that she was cheating and she would come to school upset because he would be calling her a "sl*t" and other choice words. But get this, she would not move out of the house and she continued to date this guy and tell her husband when she would go out with him.

I was the assistant director, so we took turns working the early and late shift. I never called in sick or took holidays and worked 12 hour shifts when she was sick/on vacation. My parents went away for a week so I had to babysit my little brother, so I had to come in late, so I could take him to school and leave early to pick him up. It was only for 5 days but she bad mouthed me in front of the other staff because "she had a life too".

We also had a child who was developmentally delayed. He needed 1-on-1 and which ever one of us was working the late shift we would be his 1-on-1 support. I found out that when she was on the late shift, she will take him to her office and sit him on the floor because she did not want to take him outside. She would tell his mother that he was bad and had to stay inside. She never interacted with the children unless there was a parent around her to see.

When I gave my 2 weeks notice, she told the other staff (who I hired and hung out with; since we were all the same age) not to talk to me and when they did, she will call them into her office to find out what we were talking about. Sometimes we will just pretend to talk to each other and look around like we were trying not to be spotted :D - she was so paranoid.

After I quit, some of the families withdrew their children. I worked with a teacher a few years later that replaced me at the daycare and he told me that the parents were still talking about me and the positive changes I made when I was there :angel: .

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

Well, I am my own boss, so I LOVE MY BOSS!!! HA HA! I have had some doozies in the past though. One I had to report for spanking a child, her center is now closed, thank God. Another one is an old bag and needs to retire. She's no fun and treats her employees like the children. She lied to her boss to try and get me fired because she was jealous that I ran the center better than her while she was on her vacations. Another one tried to withhold my last paycheck after I quit because she was upset her entire staff was leaving her because she was a selfish and good for nothing witch.

That's about all I can think of right now, but I am sure there are way more I am not thinking about right now. I actually have many more horrible employee stories than boss stories.

11. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

I had a boss that was everyone's friend, and also had to supervise some of them. I don't think it's professional to go around advertising who your drinking buddies are and then be the one to write up their evals.

12. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

I had a principal once who carried his false teeth in his rear pants pocket because they hurt. Every time he sat down, he bit himself on the b u t t. I bet that hurt, too.

He also wore a green suit with bleached-out armpits, and a tie covered with years worth of food.

Every day.

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

He sounds like a sight for sore eyes:D

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

My principal is truly one of the smartest people about education I have ever met. She is passionate about teachers, teaching, learning! She excites us about being better at what we do. She makes us think. She supports us. She asks us for our opinions. She values us as professionals.

15. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jul 3, 2006

My current boss, the head of the English department at the college, is a fantastic person. She's funny, hardworking, and caring. Her sense of humor is wonderful. She trusts us to do our jobs, and we fulfill that trust. Thank you, Carol, for being the BEST BOSS EVER.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2006

my old boss was the worst....never could make a decision, wasted time and never saw the educational value in ANYTHING that I did!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2006

Call me a freak of nature, but I've never had a bad boss. I've had the occasional bad moment, but never anything serious.

My last boss (and soon to be my boss again) is wonderful! He's a member of a religious order and really lives his faith. He's a great person; the kind of guy you would love as a neighbor. In our school, everyone teaches at least a class or two from the President right on down. So he has a good feel for what's going on with the kids and when they're a little off (like on those days when snow is in the air and the kids are insane!!)

When I quit a few years ago to become a SAHM, he made a special presentation to me at the end of the year party (held at a swanky restaurant on the water.) He gave me a cloisoinne (sp) Phoenix (or school mascot) as a thank you; I was one of the founding teachers of the school. It's beautiful and sits proudly in my china cabinet. When he became principal he started collecting them for each of us as a gift whenever we eventually left. It's so special because we know the effort and thought that went into the search.

When I went in last month to sign my contract, he made a point of making me feel welcome. He said how happy he was to have my professionalism and experience. I said he could add "age" but he laughed it off.

He has an open door policy; the kids can come in and see him if anything is up. The school is bursting at the seams with good reason!

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

My principal is great; very supportive and appreciative. He'll try to get anything we say we need. Supports us with parents and understands we have a life outside of school.

19. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2006

My first preschool teaching job in Eau Claire was great. I'm sad I had to leave when we moved back down to where we are. The owner/director was awesome, supportive, down to Earth. I really liked her. She's really the only boss in childcare and teaching, outside of my director job I had before staying home, that I have had that I really liked. She knew what she was doing, and it's sad to say that many people who run childcare's that I have met and worked for are not qualified to do so.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 4, 2006

I had a principal who told me that I couldn't do centers with my kinders. They were to stay in their seats & do worksheets. I had a disagreement with a parent & the principal & I were discussing it. I was in mid-sentence when she turned away & walked out the door--for Christmas break!

That was the longest school year ever!!