Your Black Friday Finds!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 22, 2012

My mom & I haven't done the Black Fri thing in yrs & could take it or leave it (mainly leave it), but we're going at 7a, so no crazy early time & we don't really need anything, it's just to spend more time together since I didn't see her on TG day.

I saw tents in front of Best Buy & 1 tent in front of Target on TG morning already. Guess those people don't care about eating good food!

List what you got. I'll return & list my stuff...if I got anything, that is. :D

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 22, 2012

I've never done Black Friday shopping and I don't think I'll ever will. Honestly, I don't see the point, even if you can save a lot of money. You either wake up extremely early to spend money, or you have to encounter crazy mass of people.
    It's easier to pay for something online and then either have it shipped or pick it up. For example, you can go to Walmart's website, find Black Friday's deals, pay for them, and pick up the items within a week, when there is no more crowd (or not that much)

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2012

Agreed. I've never been for shopping. I used to work on black friday. It sucked trying to get a parking space!!!!!!

Even here in CR they are having "black friday" sales. I'm just hoping the traffic isn't so bad that I hit it coming home from work tomorrow!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2012

My hoosband and I have often done the Black Friday sales. We will be going out tonight to just one store (probably). For us, it's a chance to spend some time together making fun of all the crazies who go out to Black Friday sales (ironic, I know!) and to purchase some things for ourselves at a good price. We go with a short list of specific items, wait around in line until the sale starts, and then wait around to pay for our things. It's not so bad. :)

We have an agreement that if things get like seriously crazy, we will just leave. I'm talking about things like stampedes, violence, whatever. One year there was a near-riot when someone started tearing off the plastic wrap around a bunch of huge flat screen TVs an hour early. We thought there were going to be shots fired, honestly, because we were in a rougher part of town. Thankfully everything calmed down quickly. Ever since that time, we've been careful to know where the exits are, keep our phones charged, stick together, and be ready to go if necessary.

Anyway, our list today includes an iPad 2 (gift for my sister), a Blu-ray player (for us), some PJs (a gift for my nephew), and, if we're lucky, a bigger flat screen TV (for us). I might try to sneak some gifts for the hoosband into the cart if I can manage to get to the things he wants.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2012

I'll add that we're not doing our Thanksgiving dinner today because of my hoosband's work schedule. We're going to do it tomorrow instead, just the two of us because our families live very far away. The early start times of the sales don't bother me in the slightest because they aren't impacting my family time at all.

Tomorrow after dinner we're going to be topping off our Thanksgiving festivities with...a Guns n' Roses concert! It should be a fun day.

('n?)

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 22, 2012

I'm refusing to shop anywhere that's open tonight, unless it is a store that is 365 days a year, or 24 hours a day. Employees know then when they are hired that they will probably have to work holidays. People working tonight after midnight are not making overtime. I am going to go to a few places in the morning, hit up a few local stores since I'll be out of town for small business Saturday, and call it a day. Unfortunately, the one place I most wanted to shop is opening at midnight, and I'm just not willing to go there.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 22, 2012

Yay! I got the deal online instead! It's so worth the $8 shipping not to have to go out at midnight. The other places I plan to go all open at much more reasonable times, like 6AM. I may go out a bit earlier if I wake up early, but my alarm will be set for 5.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2012

I kind of wanted to do black friday shopping, but I'm still in my hometown for another day and didn't have anyone else that wanted to go here :(. I'm certainly not about to go get a tent and line up at best buy 12 hours early, but I do think parts of it would be fun. I'm really disappointed because I just found out that the phone I was going to ask for was online at best buy for only 50 dollars, but is already sold out! I'd seen the price but assumed you had to go to the store at midnight to get it, or I would have looked earlier! I think it's probably only really worth it if you're going for electronics...I did go a few years ago but neither I nor the friend I went with really needed anything big, so it was kind of a waste, haha.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 22, 2012

I'm headed out at 3:00am. The after thanksgiving dinner shoppers are heading home and the early morning folks aren't out yet. I'm just browsing. I like to make discoveries. Planning on Kohl's, Walmart, JC Penney, Michael's, Meijer, and Panera for bagels. I am not heading to the big city. No way I'm tackling the big malls and shopping centers. Just heading to the next town.

My best find was a $1500 lawn tractor for $989. Mom is ordering it for me tomorrow. She is putting it on her Sears card to earn the points. I gave her cash to cover it. My current lawn tractor bit the dust aboutca month ago.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2012

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Nov 22, 2012

I enjoy a good deal, BUT I completely draw the line at pitching a tent, a week before the sale. Do these people not have families? Jobs? Responsibilities of any kind?

No way could I camp out in front of a store, even the night before. I have small children. No sale is worth that. I'll pay full price if I need it that badly.

Not even going this year. My husband works second shift, so I don't have anyone to watch the kids so I can stand around waiting.

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 22, 2012

I went to our Walmart tonight. I didn't even go for any deals. I just wanted to get a game for us to play. I have decided NEVER again will I go there on Black Friday, orange Tuesday or any event that has a color in the name. It was crazy! People were rude! The store workers were just standing there. Oh And the police were more interested in getting a bottles of water. NEVER AGAIN !!!!!

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 22, 2012

I'm tempted to go out to the mall (5 minutes away) to see what's going on :). Walmart is also right there.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 23, 2012

I've always hit up the Black Friday sales...from the comfort of my own home (sitting on the couch with my laptop).

So far, I found some great buys on Gap.com. I picked up four really nice shirts for my nephew for under $40 (including shipping and tax). Also, since they live out-of-state, I won't have to ship the items myself (I opted to have the clothes shipped directly to my sister's home)!

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2012

I don't do well shopping on a Tuesday morning in February...so, yeah, Black Friday is out of the question.

I am shopping online, though. Well, trying. I had some things in my cart at Sephora and went to another tab to make sure one of the products didn't have a certain ingredient, and...darn, I'm sent to the back of the line since they're experiencing lots of traffic. So now I can't even checkout until I'm let back in. Pooh.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Nov 23, 2012

I spent probably an hour on checking out the sales flyers. I just don't see the need to get up extra early. Specials don't appear to be specials when I know how I've been able to get good deals prior. The only thing I may take advantage of it's BB&B 20% sale of entire purchase till noon. I have my eye out on an expensive makeup mirror & bath stuff.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 23, 2012

I went to my country house's Wal-Mart. It's a 24 hour store but not a Super Wal-Mart. It was crazy but people were nice-holding places in lines so others could go to the restroom, and I went out and scavenged some items for people around us in line but were there alone. But this is in a small community. I saw at least thirty people I knew.

We got a new tv and since we were there, I finished five people on my list.

I'm not happy about them starting the sale on Thanksgiving, but in this economy, sometimes the wallet makes the decisions.

19. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Nov 23, 2012

BF and I headed out around 8 PM and just got home at 3 AM. I picked up:

• BluRay player
    • A few bargain books
    • PS3 game
    • Mini Keurig
    • 5 sweater vests
    • 3 cardigans
    • 5 pairs of jeans
    • 2 scarves
    • pair of gloves

I spent a grand total of $170. I'd say that was a steal.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 23, 2012

I was in Kohl's at 3AM. Woke up earlier than planned. Found king flannel sheets, a heated throw, and slippers for under $70. Sheets are normally more than twice that on their own.

Browsed Meijer, but the people lined up in store were in the way. I didn't get anything. Now I'm having a breakfast sandwich at Panera before heading back out.

I'd like to get an iPad, but not bad enough to stand with the crazy people of put up a fight. Maybe I'll luck up on one later. If not, that's fine.

My drive here was great. I drove about 25 miles and passed maybe 5 cars.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2012

My mom and I are headed out soon--not for any crazy deals, but because it's the only day we'll be together to do some Christmas shopping. If it's too crazy, we'll head back earlier. We do have our eyes on a few things from the ads, but nothing that was a huge 'doorbuster'. My sister did go out last night and pick up a few things for me. But our family isn't having Thanksgiving until tomorrow, so that wasn't a big deal for us.

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 23, 2012

Everyone was well behaved until I got to Penney's. They opened at 6:00, and at 6:05 people had cleared shelves of small appliances and two women were having a showdown over the last crockpot. Seriously?

The police officer in the shoe department was funny. At least he kept his sense of humor.@

23. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 23, 2012

I think Black Friday is a great way to save money if there's something you've been needing and waiting to buy. We don't have Black Friday here, but last weekend we had our "el buen fin" which was a weekend of sales throughout all stores, just like Black Friday (except it lasted throughout the whole weekend). I did hit a few stores (Best Buy was packed!) but didn't buy anything. I did upgrade my cable package and got about $100 peso discount on the first payment. Now I have almost all the channels from the states that I was missing, so I'm a happy girl.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 23, 2012

OK, so I'm back & well rested!!! I left my place at 7am to pick up my mom. We didn't get going until almost 8am. We took our time & were done at 1pm. Our plan was to go to:

- Steinmart
    - 2 malls
    - Sears Grand
    - maybe Costco

We didn't go to Costco, but went to the other places.

I got:

3 velvet turtlenecks - Off Saks 5th Ave
    Casual tie-dyed top - Off Saks 5th Ave
    Lime green jersey knit open-front jacket - Macy's
    2 bras & panties - Macy's

Didn't get too much, I'm saving up for Vegas next month!

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2012

I never do Best Buy on Black Friday, at least not in person. They always have some good deals, but 1) the lines are always WAY too long, and 2) they have a very limited number of hot ticket items in stock. Unless you're one of the first 10 people in line, you probably won't get what you're looking for, in my experience.

We went to Big 5 and Walmart. At Big 5, my hoosband got a special Russian surplus rifle that he's been wanting forever. It came with some neat accessories like ammo pouches and a bayonet (not kidding!). At Walmart, we ended up getting a Blu-ray player, a bunch of Blu-rays (they were only like $3 each!), a few TV series on DVD (Vampire Diaries seasons 1 and 2, the first season of True Blood), some PJs for my nephew, an iPad 2 for my sister, and a bare floor stick vacuum. We didn't get the TV we were after, but we weren't too broken up about that. Overall, it was a good experience. :)

26. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2012

Hmm...someone I know has that on his list, too.

27. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 23, 2012

It was $109, plus tax and background check.

I forgot to add that I totally saw a little punk shoplifter at Walmart. He looked like he was about 10 or 11. He was on the floor in the shoe aisle (near where I was in line for the Blu-ray player) stuffing all sorts of what looked like flash drives, memory cards, and cables into the hood and sleeves of his sweatshirt (which he wasn't wearing, just hanging onto)--just handfuls and handfuls of those things. He kept looking around and was moving very quickly. He looked quite suspicious, so I notified an employee who ended up chasing him through the store.

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 24, 2012

I got a lot of stuff, but no huge things.

I got some clothes for myself at Old Navy. Jeans were $15, so that was kindof a big deal.

I got a bunch of stuff at Bath and Body Works. I don't use the products, but I use them as gifts.

I got a game for my nephews at Target. I didn't want to go to Target, or any place that had been open since Thursday, but my sister asked me to. I also grabbed a nightgown and some tissue paper for myself there.

I went to JC Penney and Dress Barn but didn't find anything.

I stocked up on K-cups and got some gadgets at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I got some books and other things for my grandmother at Lifeway Christian Stores.

I went a little overboard at LOFT. I bought a dress for a wedding I'm going to today. I bought two shirts for my sister. And several shirts for myself.

Later my husband and I went to buy a new bed and mattress. It will be delivered on Monday. We also went to Toys R' Us and I got some Play Doh. We went for Magic cards, but they are so expensive there that buy two, get one free was hardly a sale.

We went to the local comic shop. I bought a T-shirt and a board game. My husband bought some Magic cards.

Today, for small business day, I'm going to run out to an ice cream place that's selling gift cards half price. Then I'm going to a local boutique and a to a local bird store.

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 24, 2012

I bought a washer and dryer for $900 with a three year extended warrenty. My washer started leaking last week and had to be replaced. They will deliever it and remove the old washer. We put the dryer in the barn with an older washer for sheep blankets. The only downside is that the black Friday sale applances at Home Depot is not really in stock so that is why they offer free delivery...so no washer until 1st, but I do have the barn machine.

I also bought all my daughter's Christmas clothes at JCPenny...really great prices.

Bought a lift for son and drill for hubby. Also got mom some stuff at Mardel's. I did not go to many places and only after the rush because I have been in the hospital this week and still weak. But I feel pretty good about my finds.

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2012

I found some $50 bike fenders for $10. They were pink.

I put them on my all black bike. Looked sort of funny. I took them off. I'll put them back on when it rains.

I got a rear cargo rack for my bike too. $35, regularly $60. I actually needed one since I was rear ended by another bike last year.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 29, 2013

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Nov 29, 2013

Love those boots, Ms. I. I would have bought them also if they were about $100 cheaper LOL
    Well it's 7:30am and I just got up so obviously I missed the early shopping LOL I don't think I will be going out except meeting some friends for breakfast. My hubby got excited about one deal he saw in a flyer but changed his mind about going early. He will go around noon and if they still have the stuff he wants then great.

33. Ted

Ted Habitué

Nov 29, 2013

I wonder if you're in my neck of the woods! Yes, last Saturday I saw a tent outside my local Best Buy!

Short of the Second Coming, there's really nothing that would have me camping outside that long in front of a store. :)

34. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 29, 2013

I got a five inch featherbed for eighty bucks. I already have one for another bed so I know I'll like it. It was half what I spent for the first one.

The best part is I shopped in front of the fireplace in my comfy pjs.

35. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Nov 29, 2013

My BF wanted a cell phone case that is an extra battery for the phone. Since he's into tech, he of course wanted a super techy/fancy/expensive one. I just ordered it from the company's site for $30 less than the original price and free shipping.

36. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2013

This is a revival of a thread from last year.

So far, all I have done is internet shopping:

-pajamas for everyone
    -shirts for the sons
    -scarves and bracelets for the girlfriends
    -a tool tote for one son (from a charity auction I attended)

By the way, some of what I bought from Macys was cheaper than Sears and had free shipping, which Sears didn't on what I bought yesterday. Ridiculous, but true.

I think I am looking for
    -Ikea bedroom furniture for son with his mattress on the floor
    -hole saw and bbq tools for oldest
    -no freaking idea for other son or husband

I want to hear ideas from the other thread about ideas for yourself. I do want to do some small business shopping this weekend, as well. Haven't decided what or where but I want to.

37. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

I left the house at around 3:15 am, and returned 7 hours later.

I went to Kohls, Ulta, The mall (Target, Panera for breakfast, Macys, Disney Store, The Hallmark Store, Old Navy, Hollister, Areopostale, Justice, Forever 21, Gacgets and Gizmos, and probably one or two others) then to Sears.

I'm tired but happy, and the trunk of my car is loaded. The crew is going to the Islander game tonight, so I'm hoping to get a handle on what I bought as I start to wrap.

I also took care of our 3 gifts for the Giving Tree at church :)

No big finds, just a lot of fun. And the ONLY time I waited on line was when there was ONE person ahead of me at Sears. The cashier there liked me and gave me her discount, taking an extra $13 off my bill.

The weather was grest. Though I threw a ski jacket in the car, I was very comfortable without it. And I never parked more than about 60 feet from the entrance to the store.

38. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 29, 2013

I might pop into the Gap... I haven't been there since they opened, and I've heard it's a good day for that... this is only the second or third year where Black Friday has really caught on in Canada... I think some of the retailers realized a lot of people were going across the border to shop and losing out on customers.

I also plan to go to Indigo (Canadian book store like B&N) and look at getting some Christmas presents for my wife.

39. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 29, 2013

Lauren showed me a pair of boots on the Famous Footwear site last night, but of course they don't ship to Canada. I found the same pair on a Black Friday sale at a Canadian store for only $10 more than at Famous Footwear. I can have them delivered to the store, which I drive by on my way home from work, and if they don't fit, they will be easy to exchange there.

40. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 29, 2013

41. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 29, 2013

I left my house at 1:00am. I met my friend at 4:00, and we shopped until noon. I got home at 2:00pm. A lot of my time was driving. I was as far as 60 miles from home at my farthest point. I live in the boonies.

I bought jewelry, clothes, slippers, a purse, wireless speakers, bathroom rugs, makeup, and groceries. Got lots of good deals.

The only crazy rude people were at Walmart in the next town. They had the aisles packed with stuff, which made it so crowded! I was in three different Walmart stores in three towns, and that was the only crazy one. :dizzy: They were having drain problems in Subway, so the whole grocery side smelled like an outhouse. GROSS!!!