Your Biggest Bills?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 23, 2014.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 11, 2014

One word. DAYCARE. Right now, only my middle son is in daycare, the baby stays with my MIL while I'm at work. Next year is going to be HORRIFIC though. Both of them in daycare. That'll run me about 1100/month on daycare. Couple that with a 415/month vehicle payment, cell phones, and credit card bills and I'm kaput. Our house is already paid for and my husband covers utilities/cable/etc.

2. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

Not much devaluation from the gas station, i'd imagine - whenever my parents get the mortgage refinanced, they have to get a report about the soil quality or something like that from the gas station to make sure nothing is leaking.

Our house was built in the 40s, has an unfinished basement, no garage, a second floor that consists of a master bedroom and the [80 square foot] bedroom my brother and I share (Then there is an attic - accessed through the master bedroom). The second floor was added sometime in the 70s, I believe, with my current bedroom totally remodeled in 1990. Our living room has 300 square feet of carpet and that is the largest room in the house outside of the basement.

According to Zillow, the house is 1460 square feet.

A 1 bed/1 bath house down the street recently sold for around $175,000 - but their home hadn't been remodeled since the 50s.

According to zillow, most houses in my town outside of ones being built in developments are selling for around 300k.

3. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Nov 12, 2014

My rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is almost $1100. I have hospital and doctor bills eating me alive! (2 days in the hospital in April, 2013, and 8 days last February.) Thank God my car should be paid off in April!

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2014

I am presently reaping the benefits of new windows and a new heat pump. Last utility bill, which includes electric, water, sewer, and trash...$120.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 12, 2014

That shows forethought and planning. Well done! ;)

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 12, 2014

I know, COL in different states vary, but wow, some of you have such nice, low mortgages/rent! I live in a very nice, 1 bedroom apt & I pay $1270 + about another $55 in utilities. But, then, I do live in a high COL area of CA. If I lived right by the beach or in Los Angeles, it would be twice that amt for the same apt.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

We pay extra on our mortgage every month so it's pretty high. We're trying to pay it off in less than the 30 years. If I didn't get rid of cable then I bet that would be the next highest bill. That bill can get ridiculously high. I'm sure the cable company knows that most people wont' give it up no matter how high it gets so they keep raising the rates.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2014

My secret (and many others, so it's not really a secret) to keeping my cable bill lower is to call in every year and get the lower promotional rates that they offer new subscribers. All I have to tell them is that I am switching to a different company because I can't afford them. The cable company is the one who told me to do this! My bill has gone down over $100 in the last couple of years.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

After I cancelled it they actually came knocking on my door offering me a lower rate for another 2 years. I just said no thanks. I don't have the patience to haggle with them every time. I am still alive and well without cable :D

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 12, 2014

I'm embarrassed to admit that although I make much more money as an administrator (compared to what I made as a teacher), I don't see much of a difference in my bank account.

Being a homeowner is expensive, but all the extras I pay for each month (pest control, home security, & weekly gardening services) add up quickly!

11. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Nov 12, 2014

Student loans! :) I'm purposely paying $400 per month so I can get my undergrad paid off ridiculously early. It'll be paid off next spring (after only 9 years)... just in time for my grad school loans to kick in! :)

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 12, 2014

The difference in cost of living can be crazy. Our mortgage, insurance, and property tax is just over $1,000 a month on our 2,000+ sq. ft. house.

After that, our biggest bill is my DH's student loans, although thankfully we will be getting some help with those through a few special programs for pastors. Even in a low COL area, a pastor and a parochial school teacher aren't exactly raking in the big bucks!