Your Best Tips For Writing a Stellar Cover Letter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TamiJ, Nov 10, 2019.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2019

I have looked online and have done my research, but I would love to hear from you. What are your best tips for writing a cover letter? Also, would anyone be willing to look mine over?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 10, 2019

My tips are:
    - don’t restate your experience (it’s already on your resume)
    - do give examples that highlight your educational philosophy
    - do give examples that align to the district’s philosophy (you might need to tweak your letter for each district)

TamiJ likes this.
  4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2019

Thank you!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2019

TamiJ, your thread has been moved to the Job Seekers subforum. Rummage around a bit, and you should find some of the threads in which the revered Aliceacc and I worked out some principles of cover letters.

The short version: Remember that the function of a cover letter is to get the reader interested enough in you to want to burrow through your resume, philosophy of teaching, etc. And nothing interests most readers quite like having their own interests catered to. You want to know what it is that your prospective employers/colleagues want, and then you want to tailor your letter (to the extent that you can do so honestly) to those needs. It's sensible to read the job listing carefully and to look for clues in (a) the district's and school's websites and (b) the local press. Choose three needs/wants, construct a thesis statement in which they're the topic points, and from there you can go with Five-Paragraph Essay format. The introductory paragraph can perfectly well begin with "I am applying for...": there's no point going to a lot of effort to be creative there. To ensure that your voice comes through, support at least one of your topics with an anecdote that shows you-as-a-teacher to advantage. The final paragraph doesn't need to be an elaborate conclusion.

TamiJ and bella84 like this.
  6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2019

Thank you!