Your Best Tip

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by paperheart, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarnyardCats

BarnyardCats Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

I like this idea but have a question: What do you write on the label, what the student just did? How large are the labels? Do you still have to pause class to write the offense on the label itself? I like this idea I just want to be sure I understand it. Thanks!

2. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

My tip(s) have been said, but I do have one more to add. I take up homework early in the week so I'm not stuck grading all weekend long. I learned the hard way, that there is NO homework assignment worth losing my weekend over. I also make sure to assign things that are important. If it's not important enough for me to grade it, it's not important enough to worry about doing.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 5, 2007

DON'T PROCRASTINATE!!!! :) Doing things efficiently changes your life!!

4. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I use 2" velcro from Walmart to stick a plastic tumbler to each child's desk. They have to keep all of their tools in it. Everything that does not fit goes in their cubby. I don't allow supplies in their desks, only folders and books. It helps them stay neat.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

Does the velcro hold up the weight of the pencils etc.? Do you ever have a problem with the tumblers falling? I like that idea, I just want to make sure that it'll work for my kids. I think this will be good and that way each child gets 3 sharpened pencils a day in their cup which could eliminate them arguing over pencils. (I do community supplies, one bucket in the middle of each group)

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I get the 2 inch wide industrial strength velcro in the craft dept. at Walmart. I got my tumblers from the dollar general store. They are wide and not too tall. They never fall over. I only allow the kids to take them off for special projects in the hallway or another classroom. (rarely) The best part - no more pencil boxes falling in the floor and 1 million crayon bits scattering all over.

7. Youngteacher226

Jul 6, 2007

Do you keep the crayons in the tumblers too?

8. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 6, 2007

cool tips!

Here's a general tip: try to streamline everything you need to fill out or write. If you have to fill out a form every morning for breakfast, for example, fill in all the parts you can--name, month (make enough copies for that month) year, room number etc. and photocopy it so you are only writing the info that changes. I actually think I'll photocopy my breakfast slips with the breakfast counts as they normallyare next year and just cross off and change them if they are different that day.

Think this way for hall passes
    rosters
    lesson plans (some prefer typing. I've found I can write my lesson plan when I meet with other teachers to plan. Since I'm away from my computer I handwrite. I have a photocopy of the form that has my info filled out though).
    objectives
    Date (magnetic labels attached to the board for each monh, year etc.)
    Daily agenda (if you always do a warm-up first then check homework, why not have laminated labels that will keep you from writing the same thing over and over again on your agenda list--I finally figured this one out this summer and can't wait to use this idea next year.)

sub plans in a folder with general info already printed up, sort of like a manual to your class. You only need to type up a quick plan of items specific to that day.

anyone else have tips to help streamline tasks?

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I printed "brain break" strips from Dr. Jean's website. I cut them apart and put them in a "brain break can". During transitions or whenever kids need a mental break we pick a brain break. They are supposed to activate both sides of the brain, get them ready for learning. I also put it some yoga stretches too!

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

I must have missed the link to the website. Where is it? I'm interested in learning more about these Brain Break things!

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2007

Doh! I think I found it on my own.

12. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

oh that's great! I'm gonna try that. so you just write the date, and then the note?

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

i've read things that say there are bad chemicals or whatever with that paper. are you sure you don't mean to get carbon paper?

14. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

oh i like the idea of having the colored answer key. I can't tell you how much time i've wasted going through stacks of papers in front of the kids to find my answer sheet. Great idea!

15. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

OMG that is so easy and soooo smart! Thanks

16. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I just responded to the Brain Break thread. So you can see the ideas there! :)

17. smile

smile Companion

Jul 6, 2007

I agree! I would watch my co-workers make copies at the last minute and the machine would break down or there is a LONG line. I usually run things in advance (1 week - a month) and file it. I would walk pass the machine and smile at the other teachers because I'm not there trying to fix it or waiting forever for one copy.

18. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 6, 2007

make your own bubble in sheets instead of using expensive scantrons for tests. I made mine using a reproducible i found in a test prep book. Then you can grade quickly by taking another one and hole punching the answers on it. Hold it over the kids sheet and viola...you can automatically see the incorrect answers. It only takes a few seconds and saves you from spending your funds on those expensive scantron sheets.

19. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

Julie, my assessment professor in college did that and I thought he was genius!

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 6, 2007

I usually make my copies a week in advance, I'm really good with that, but since it was my first year, I'd often think of ideas on the fly or see ideas in other peoples rooms and end up with a broken copy machine with 5 minutes left in my lunch break!!

21. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

I did the same thing with chapstick...just dabbed a little on a Q-tip!

22. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

whiteboards

when I give out whiteboards....I give them about a minute for them to use them as a toy and tell them to get the drawing out of their system....then after that they erase and it becomes a learning tool. If they are caught drawing when it is a tool, I take it away and they have to get out paper and pencil. I actually got observed and did this and my principal thought it was great that I set aside the time for the kids to get the urge out first!

23. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 7, 2007

I've had success using this with math manipulatives too. Those Base 10 Blocks just call for the kids to get creative so the few min you give them to get it out of their system really does save time and aggravation in the end.

24. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2007

The best teacher advice I ever got was to phone every parent the first two weeks of school with a positive thought on their child. It goes a long way to building a relationship. Plus when I have to call with bad news, they already have a positive thought about me.
    I will admit that I only teach 23 or so children at a time. This might be hard for middle school and high school, but I would still call on those that have a history of needing more TLC.

25. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 7, 2007

Let kids check their own papers. It provides immediate feedback and is less work for you. I spot check a few papers here and there and warn the kids against cheating. Kids generally tell on anyone who is cheating. I've really only had 1-2 incidents of this. I love letting them grade their own papers and it works really well.

26. Youngteacher226

Jul 7, 2007

I like that idea! I'm going to have to try that after a few tests to save work for me.:) What I also do is have 2 kids pick the classroom job of "Teacher Assistant". The "teacher assistants" do those types of things like correct papers, pass out parent notices etc. in put them in classroom mailboxes etc. They love being the teacher assistants!! I'll have to have this as a job next year as well!:D

27. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Jul 7, 2007

I have my kids check tests. They have to put all pencils away and may only use a colored pencil or marker.

28. MissMcCollum

MissMcCollum Companion

Jul 7, 2007

This is a good rule of thumb if you give the kids anything that they don't have ready access to. If it's something special, or something they haven't used before or in a long time, they want to play. This is also really effective when teaching science. If you're doing an experiment with a variety of materials (as long as they're safe for this...) let them play for a minute or two. It saves you from saying, "Please stop fiddling with the materials and listen to my instructions."

29. Youngteacher226

Jul 7, 2007

Thanks for that tip too! Doing it that way should eliminate me having to always say, "No drawing on the boards during work time!" I can just let them get those urges out for about a minute, then we can get things done! I'm just always so afraid that my dry erase markers are going to run out.:eek:

30. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 8, 2007

Big Books

I have several big books. I can't seem to find a convent and handy place to store them. If their not convent I tend not to use them.:eek:

31. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 8, 2007

ranger--I'm reading about literacy centers right now; one suggestion for a center is to store Big Books in a large trash can (or one of those similar storage containers with a high lid). That way, if you choose to use them for centers too, they are easily skimmed through for "easy pickins'." I'm thinking of storing my BBs in one of those for the same reasons as you, although I use them no matter what. This will just make them a lot less likely to get torn or stomped on when they're not in use!

32. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 8, 2007

With the Big Books, I always take clear packing tape and tape the binding and run tape down the middle of every page, where they are stapled, it keeps the pages from being torn out.

33. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 8, 2007

All my children bring their own lunch in a lunch kit. (I work with preschoolers). When I have an important note to go home, I always put it in the child's lunch kit. I know the parents are going to have to open the lunch kit sometime before the child comes back the next day! Since I have started doing this, I've found the parents respond more to the notes I send home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.