Your best lesson

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by smalagreca, Dec 8, 2009.

1. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I need to model some lessons in a few pre- k classrooms. I am having a difficult time choosing the best lesson to model. I almost feel as if it is a demo lesson, lo. Can you please post some ideas of a lesson you would model to help other teachers. It could be literacy, math, or anything. thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 8, 2009

I think for me the best thing to do is to take an idea that teacher has that I'm trying to help and walk him/her through the lesson and really help them think through all parts of it and what the goals really are.

That way it's the teacher's idea, you're just helping them formulate it into something that will work well in the classroom.

4. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

These are brand new teachers hired for spetember 2010. Most have no exp.
    Im modeling one lesson on mixing primary colors< im doing another on sorting, one on beginning reading. I need two more lessons.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2009

Does it have to be a "best lesson"??? Why not make it an absolutely typical lesson??

6. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

Sure, a typical lesson works too! I guess what I am getting at is that I am having "writers block" but this is "lesson block". I am currently a .5 ap / .5 coach. I taught k for 10 yrs and then I taught 2nd, 3rd and 6th, never pre - k, and its been a while since I've been in ECE teaching. So I was just fishing for ideas. Also, I have never taught pre k and am aware that its slightly developmentally different than k.

7. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

To cover different areas, I would do a number/counting lesson and an art lesson. Model a counting game so they see the connection of learning games and then model a "process" based art so that they can see process vs. project based arts.

8. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

So you want specifics. A counting game I do with my kids is called, "Building Towers." Using inch cubes and die, the children roll the die and count out that many blocks. They make a tower with their blocks. Each turn around they add more blocks and while this is going on you can talk about "most" "least" "big" "biggest" etc. When their tower falls they count how many blocks they had. My kids love it and it reinforces counting and number concepts.

Does that help?!

9. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

Yes, I appreciate all of your ideas. I don't know what I am stressing about this, I guess that's the perfectionist in me.
    I will be doing it in classes of 22-25 kids and the teachers will all be first year teachers. I guess maybe having never taught that grade I don't feel like the "expert".

10. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

Are they going to be in small groups? I would never teach a lesson to 22-25 preschoolers at once!

11. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

I agree with you on that, however I need to follow the districts policies. They r incorporating 14 full day pre-k classes next year with 25 kids per class. So although their will be time for some small group instruction, much of the day is taught whole group. Then the teachers can pull for differentiation.

12. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

WOW!

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 8, 2009

How about you doing a model of a circle time? When I was student teaching, this was one of my biggest issues.

14. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 8, 2009

they will all get in depth training in circle time and morning meeting

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2009

Wow. I can't imagine anything being more developmentally inappropriate for young children. How long is their day?

16. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 9, 2009

U don't even want to know. 8:30- 2:30

17. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2009

Whoa......I wouldn't be surprised when they end up with lots of behavioral issues. Those poor kids!

18. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 9, 2009

That's why it will be my goal to make pre k as fun, engaging, and hands on as possible. Children will spend most of their days working through centers and being exposed to a print rich environment. I can't go against the districts plan but I can make the best of it.
    Their reasoning is that its a low income area in NY state and the children are falling behind. Fine. So my goal will just be to build background knowledge and experiences.

19. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2009

Good luck to you.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2009

Take a look at the origins of Head Start. What you describe is the same motivation that LBJ had for starting it: to try to make up for the experiences that lower income kids weren't getting at home.

21. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Dec 10, 2009

Have you thought about going thru each learning center and be sure each teacher has a clear understanding of all the learning that takes place in each center. I have been teaching UPK in NY for 15 years. Every year at least one parent says-"but they just play" I take that as a compliment. Because I know how much my students are learning and how well they do on k screening. (we are half day)
    Also look at vanna site at pre-kpages. She has many appropriate activities.

22. smalagreca

smalagreca Companion

Dec 10, 2009

Of course that will be a long term goal. Ill do pd's on centers. This is just a quick 20 min lesson to expose themto what I expect

23. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 12, 2009

As a newish pre-k teacher, I would love ideas on book entensions (like you read the book and then do an activity based on it, usually art), more transition activities, ideas on what I'm supposed to be doing during center time (i.e., do I and my para run small groups, does one of us circle the room, are we doing art as a small group every day, etc.). Center time and circle time are the hardest parts for me at this time.

I do feel for these teachers--I have 16 kids--can't imagine 25 at this age!