Your Best Classroom Management Techniques

Discussion in 'General Education' started by firstgradeteach, Oct 8, 2007.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

Hi! I posted this on the first grade forum but though I'd try here too.
    I am a second year teacher and looking for suggestions for your BEST ideas!
    So far I love these ideas and have used them:
    students filing completed school/homework under names.
    mystery sticks for behavior.

I also use MOOSE notebooks which are okay... but I'm not sure if I'm using them correctly.

I wanted to know if anyone has any great tricks or ideas to share!

Thanks!!!!! :)

3. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 8, 2007

What are MOOSE notebooks and mystery sticks?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 8, 2007

marble jars for classroom behavior

different colored folders for each subject (everyone has blue for writing, yellow for spelling so you know students have the right folder out!!)

take one, leave one basket for pencils (no annoying sharpening noise!!)

5. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

Moose notebooks are a way to organize the things that you need to send home on a weekly basis. I think the letters stand for Management of Organizational Skills Everyday. Each student has a notebook. In it they have a folder with one side labeled keep at home and the other being back to school. They organize papers accordingly. I also have a zip lock bag (cheaper than buying pencil pouches) that they keep their sight word ring in. They also have two clear sleeves. One has a calendar which they color their behavior color for the day. They also have a DRA graph that they color the level they are currently reading. These go h ome every night and come back. I just started them this year.

mystery sticks are sticks that I write each student's name on one. I pull out about three and say, "I am going to watch these students for good behaviors during "writing". I do not tell the students who I chose. At the end of the time they get to schoose a reward if they were workign well. If one of the stick people was not working at expectation I put it back. I tell the class, only two sticks won today becasue one person was talking. I never tell the name of the stick that I had to put back. I borrowed this idea from a teacher from my school last year. Another member on here uses a different variation of it calling it the mystey walker, worker etc. I do not hink this version uses sticks.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 8, 2007

Right now I am finding that sitting kids boy girl boy girl has been very good. I have done this in the past to stop the boys from goofing around, but this year I have a group of girls that can't keep their hands off one another. They are constantly holding hands, laying on one another, cuddling, braiding hair, etc. Sitting a boy between them solves the problem!

7. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

I have been slacking on the pencil thing! I let them only sharpen during morning work. I need to stick with the pencil take one, leave one. Thank you!!!

8. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 8, 2007

This will work except for one girl I have in class. She is in LOVE with every boy. She has tried kissing 3 of them already this year!!!! I will have to make her sit by girls!:haha: