Your Baby Can (Read)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 18, 2009

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Oct 18, 2009

I think infants can understand spoken language when it is pair with the action or sign, but I highly doubt they can read language. I would not waste money on this program. The part of the brain that decodes written language is not developed in the infant years; therefore, this program is bogus.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2009

I believe that reading to children is very important and can never start too early. I don't know much about structured programs like this (and I exited the website when a 'live chat' pop-up appeared), but don't feel they are necessary or even developmentally appropriate for very young children.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

I don't really think it is reading. Yes, they can memorize that a certain combination of shapes says something, but there is no analysis of those shapes as being the same letters in different combinations or any of the other "real" reading skills. Some of the early videos are just glorified flash cards, exposing your child to real experiences while using language would be just as (or more) beneficial. A better investment of your money would be in simple developmentally appropriate books and exposure to print by labeling things around your house and talking to your baby about the words or about anything. Oh, and don't forget to teach your kids nursery rhymes!

6. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Oct 18, 2009

They claim that toddlers can read never-before-seen words because all the memorization naturally teaches them the sound patterns. I have a hard time swallowing that.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

We are starting to get some kids in kindergarten who have been through programs like these. One of them was able to read all 20 words of the Ohio Word Test (the words are very hard and most are not words they really would come across) but then tested very low on the DRA (level 1) and all that have been through similar programs have scored lower than average on comprehension tests even for books read TO them.

8. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Oct 18, 2009

I think they're charging a awful lot for something that seems to just give parents something brag about. I agree with Tasha that it's still missing the comprehension piece that comes naturally with reading to kids, not just showing flashcards.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

The commercial states that a 4 year old reads at a third grade level....hmm, what a third grader chooses to read might not be appropriate for a four year old....
    Plus I don't think they understand what they're reading anyway.

10. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 18, 2009

No Comprehension

This program appears to train kids how to recognize words from flash cards but everyone I know says the kids can't really read. Just another gimmick to separate eager parents from their money.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

I completely agree with this. They are missing comprehension and phonics-they have absolutely no knowledge of sounds or letter - just memorized words. So if they memorized a word from the 2nd Grade sight word list, they have 2nd grade level of reading? That just doesn't make sense.

I'm wondering how it will affect GT testing-if all these parents suddenly think they have geniuses on their hands when in all reality they have kids with good memory.

12. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Oct 18, 2009

It's so important for children to learn to read. . we all know that. But, let a baby be a baby! They are learning SOOOO much...let's not add reading on top of it.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2009

Well, do bear in mind that there are some kids who DO seem to be wired to learn to read at quite young ages - though I certainly don't see a program like this doing anything positive for a kid who isn't already bent that way.

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 18, 2009

That is so true and I do get kids with incredible reading skills, they just happen to have learned through regular old exposure to print, good parenting (usually), and a natural ability.

15. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

We talked about this in my child development class, and my teacher basically said it's rote memorization. They aren't actually learning the words, but the shape of the words. It probably won't help them down the line with literacy.

However, reading aloud to them on a daily basis will!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2009

Good comments here!

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 20, 2009

I also question when the parents on the infomercial say things like, "In kindergarten he was reading at a 2nd grade level." How do parents know what a second grade level is? Many parents still don't think that kids in kindergarten are learning to read.

There are a handful of kids that start kindergarten already knowing how to read. According to these parents on the infomercial, that might be a "2nd grade level." Some kids just pick it up on their own.

I don't really understand why you would want your toddler "reading" anyway. What on earth is the point?

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 20, 2009

With mine, it was more that I couldn't do much to stop her, short of taking away the books. But, yes: if it's not how the kid's wired, I don't see much point in flashcards and coaching and pushing.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 20, 2009

Sounds like a bunch of junk to me! A child has to go through certain developmental steps before being able to read, and it is the same for comprehension.

I am so weary of parents who push their kids! It's the same as saying "You are too short! YOu must grow taller!" They will grow and read when they are ready, once everything is in place.

It is a peeve of mine when parents insist on pushing kids academically. They are who they are, and if a child starts reading early, they are not usually very far ahead of their peers by 4th grade! The other kids catch up. sheesh. This is a ridiculous thing to be marketing. Babies need to chew on things and dig in the dirt and roll balls and be read to! They need to be taken on walks and allowed to play with pets!

20. Mister

Mister Rookie

Oct 25, 2009

As I was going through my education coursework, I taught my four year old son and one year old daughter to read. We wrote stories together, practiced word cards and read books. I would say that we usually worked together for an hour a day. Another middle child had little interest, so we found other activities for her. The baby was reading exceptionally well at age three. Both the oldest and youngest were gifted and graduated high school early. The middle child, though never an exceptional student, had a very high verbal and social aptitude. The books that my two year old read, were all her favorite Little Golden Books and Dr. Seuss books. She was just as likely to be reading to herself or her dolls as playing with her toys or interacting with pets or others. There are plenty of age appropriate books available to young children. My son would burn the midnight oil reading all the old classics from my mother's childhood book collection. All of our children are successful, happy, and well adjusted young adults. Just because a baby learns to read, doesn't mean that it detracts in anyway from their enjoyment of just being a child. As you can see from my experience, not all babies or young children have an aptitude or an interest in the written language, but I feel that if they are, any time spent is well worth it. Both of the children who learned to read early, also developed aptitudes for math and music. I can also say from experience with my own children, that teachers don't like to differentiate instruction, and often teach only the expected grade level performance objectives. My children were rarely challenged in school outside of their GATE classes. They took home the same reading assignments, spelling assignments, etc. that every other child took home. Is it any wonder that often times their peers catch up to them, as stated by bonneb? That only speaks to the mediocrity of our education system, and not to the ability of the child. My suggestion is to use good old fashioned reading strategies to work with your baby, and look for ways to supplement their education. I'm sure that you'll never regret giving your child that advantage.

21. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

teaching a young child who is ready to learn basic reading skills and strategies can be good. As long they are also learning basic skills like sharing, imaginative play, motor skills etc. However this program is not about reading strategies, I have seen the infomercial (while sitting at urgent care with no other option). These kids memorize the cards and while there is some memorization involved in reading, we all know sight word knowledge is not the same as real reading of texts.

22. aevans397

aevans397 New Member

Oct 25, 2009

I have trouble believing the Your Baby Can Read system. I think that it could be a nice learning tool but believe that the process more or less teaches the children to memorize. I also think that the attention span of children in the age group it is said to teach to read is too short for an activity like it. I think learning to read is a very complex procedure that takes strategy. Your Baby Can Read focuses more on flash and entertainment then structure and technique.

23. holliday

holliday Comrade

Oct 25, 2009

Aren't there studies showing that there's no long term benefit from earlier reading? I believe in Japan (and in U.S. Waldorf schools) they wait till age 7 to start reading.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

Lol- I'd snap this program up in a minute, you guys! It makes me want to have another baby just to try it out!! (Not.)
    This programs seems to be just like Hooked on Phonics, with the same complaints being made about it.
    I did HOP with Jeannie before we had a real phonics program. I also taught my Kevin to read with the original- and best, in my opinion-HOP back in the day. Yep- it is all memorization, but then again, you can do all kinds of extras with the words. I'm guessing you can also do such things with this program. So what if they're just repeating or memorizing? Go from there with it! Any parent that really cares would anyway. For an unskilled parent that wants to start working with their child, this program could be a good starting point.

25. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

I don't think it's reading, I think it's memorization/association. They eventually learn to recognize the look of the word and to associate it with a sound, but they won't be able to apply that to new words when say, reading a book.

I think that the best thing you can do for your child (or anyone) is to read, read, read to them. Let them hear your voice in relation to the words on the page and when they are old enough, teach them about the relationship between letters and sounds.

26. maccalou

maccalou New Member

Oct 28, 2009

I bought the material for a friend. This gave me the opportunity to watch the videos and evaluate the material. I have lots of hope into it. I am looking forward to see the results!!

27. lafogosa

lafogosa Companion

Oct 28, 2009

I think if it works, it will create word callers instead or real readers who actually comprehend what they read. Further, it may breed poor writers, since they'll have a lack of comprehension.

28. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 30, 2009

THANK YOU! A baby should be exploring his or her world and being outside playing every day. NOT inside, trying to learn to read. Our students, I feel, are being pushed to read more and more but know nothing about how their world works. What a shame.