Your Baby Can Read (Please elaborate)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Needananswer, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Needananswer

Needananswer New Member

Jul 27, 2009

I am not a teacher, but am wanting answers from teachers. I am thinking about purchasing the Your Baby Can Read dvd set. I have read some great reviews on the product but have also read some poor ones.

The poor ones state that it is more damaging than beneficial to use the program because it teaches children to read whole words rather than to read phonetically.

My son is 3 years old. I would love for him to get a head start but not if it will put him at a disadvantage when he gets to school. Will teaching him to read whole word at this age cause him to have a hard time once he is in school?

3. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

The best thing you can do for your child is to READ to him. Make reading fun and enjoyable. Hold him in your lap and let him "read" the book. Tell what he sees in the pictures, etc.

As for the program, by 3 it won't hurt him. Some people do this with their infant (I won't get started). If he is ready to start reading he will pick it up and if he is not developmentally ready he won't.

But still the cheapest route is the best route. Take him to the public library and READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I think it COULD be used for whole-word reading, but in addition to phonetic decoding, the program lacks a lot. It doesn't make reading enjoyable, teach reading comprehension, making inferences from pictures, or predicting what a story will be about. He won't learn about characters, setting, problem/solution. The best thing to do is read to him and be interactive about it by pointing to the pictures, tracking the words with your fingers, and asking him questions. Whole word reading is a very small part of what your child will learn his first couple of years of school.

You could perhaps use it sparingly, but I think it is geared toward actual babies, not 3 year olds.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I know nothing about early childhood education, but my 3 cents anyway:

As someone who was reading Little House on the Prairie books by first grade, I agree with the above posts. I learned to read early because my parents read to me constantly. At bedtime, snippets while they were reading things; they read anything and everything to me. If my dad was reading Scientific American, that's what he read to me! If my mom was reading books about Ancient Egypt, ditto! They also read Dr. Suess and Beatrice Potter and lots of kid books, but they made a big effort to involve me in reading without any pressure. They just made me want to read. My mom said it was the same in her family--nobody had formal reading lessons as small children, they were just exposed to books and read to and picked up skills according to their abilities on their own timeline.

6. Needananswer

Needananswer New Member

Jul 27, 2009

Thanks for your replies. I read to him a lot already, as does his dad and grandmother, and he loves books. There is a very simple book that he will go through and "read" and he knows a few of the words. He always asks for a new book at the store. My mom wants me to get this for him and I just wanted to get some feedback before I spend 100 dollars. If it helps him then that would be wonderful. I don't want to do anything that he will be told to "unlearn" once he gets to school.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

If he likes reading why not make you own flashcards with him. I know I have flashcards with pictures on it that my cousins (I used to babysit for) would love to do flashcards. You could even do the simple words or letters to get him to "read". He may think this is fun as well.

Keep reading & maybe find one word books. I know there is one that is called Hug that has I think 3-4 words in the whole book that he could "read" to you.

I'm sure you could make some stuff that would save you a good portion of that money or spend on fun books to read together.

8. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I think it is a big mistake. For those babies to react like that to flash cards means they spend an awfully long time staring at the shapes of letters. Ugh. Not developmentally appropriate at all.

Early reading means nothing. I've taught K, 2nd, 4th and now Pre-K. My own 4 children are in college and high school now.

My oldest was way ahead of her fellow preschool classmates...reading chapter books. But they caught up by 2nd, 3rd grade and some even flew right past her! :)

My youngest hated reading and didn't get the hang of it until
    1st grade. Now he is in all AP/honors classes.

Keep it light and fun and beautiful. Reading should be a pleasure, a time to cozy up with someone to share a book and let your imagination soar.

Flash cards are not fun, no matter how much the TV commercial says you are doing it as a game together. It's a waste of time for a 3 year old. There are so many other activities that will enhance his love of learning.

Sorry if I'm too forceful on this one, but I really really hate that program.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2009

Put the money into books, not a program.

10. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 27, 2009

11. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

They shouldn't call that program "Your Baby Can Read". They should call it "I strapped my child down in a high chair and held flashcards up to his face until he was brainwashed enough to remember those words."

It's baby brainwashing and there's nothing appropriate about it. Besides, the commercials are just creepy. Every time I see the one where the 3 year old girl is reading Charlotte's Web I get creeped out. I always expect the girl's head to start spinning around.

I don't want my 3 year old to be able to read Charlotte's Web. That's just weird. At that age they should be looking at books, enjoying having the story read to them, and maybe able to repeat some of the text to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear."

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2009

Whoa, mrgrinch9. One of my kids at three years old COULD have read Charlotte's Web, though she was more into dinosaurs, and to the best of my knowledge her head never started spinning around.

Nor, however (and this is the point, of course), was she exposed to a program with flashcards and so on: we just read when she wanted to read, and I'd trace the words with my finger and we'd talk about the words and the story. Some kids are wired to "get" written language at that age, and it's wondrous when they do. Other kids - like her little sister - are wired differently, and when they "get" written language, that is also wondrous.

13. ambritlit

ambritlit Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I agree with TeacherGroupie. I think some kids just have an innate ability for reading. My daughter read very early, and several teachers told me that she wasn't reading, that she was simply decoding words. That stopped when she read Tom Sawyer in kindergarten and explained to one of the teachers at church that Mark Twain was just a pen name, that the author's real name was Samuel Clemens. She said, "That's what it says in the front of the book."

She has just graduated from college with a degree in English and Latin, with the English emphasis on written communication. I think this ability/interest was just "in" her from the start.

14. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I've got no problem with a child having an innate ability towards reading. If they pick it up naturally, and in a developmentally appropriate manner, then that's great.

But that little girl on that commercial is creepy. There was nothing natural about her reading. She was forced into reading that book.

Just because a child can do something doesn't mean they should be doing it.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

To understand when children are ready to learn, read some of Piaget's work. Children need to build muscle tone to be able to walk. They must build brain skills to be able to read and understand the abstract. Babies are not ready to read, their brains are not ready. Babies need to focus upon baby stuff--organizing the world.

Don't worry about teaching a 3 year old to read. His brain is too busy with other skills that are age appropriate. He might be able to memorize the letters of his name, and to read his name and names of his family, but that is because it is important to him, and is not abstract.

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

I was reading at age 4. I don't remember my parents reading to me, though I'm sure they did. I just read because I enjoyed it. My daughter is 5 and though I read to her and work a little bit with her on her letters, she doesn't read. She's a fast learner though so I know she'll pick up quickly, especially when she sees other children reading.

17. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

:thumb:

18. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 28, 2009

:toofunny:

I agree with all the PP's, don't buy it and read to your child instead. There are so many more important things babies could be doing, like crawling and developing their motor skills. Did you know that if a baby doesn't spend enough time crawling and climbing then he or she could have weak arm and hand muscles which will translate into poor handwriting and difficulty grasping a writing tool? This is a really big problem these days, I see it with the students I work with all the time, their arms and hands are like cooked spaghetti. I would like to see them come out with a DVD called "My Baby Can Crawl!"

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

'Calling words' accurately IS NOT reading...
    Reading is meaning, reading is comprehension...

I can "read" law texts and tax code accurately...if you asked me to have a meaningful conversation about what I've read though, hmmm, wouldn't have much to say although I sounded great when I was reading it...

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I've taught kindergarten for the past few years, and what will really give your child a running start in kindergarten is knowing all of the letter names, a few letter sounds if it comes naturally, being able to write his or her name (or at least recognize it,) counting to ten (or higher,) recognizing some numbers, etc. Also, being able to hold a book the right way, getting that you start reading at the top left of the text. These things are way more important than coming in knowing several sight words. We will teach them sight words using a variety of strategies (yes, including flashcards) as they come up in texts we read together. Most of the kids who came to me and the parents said were "reading" score very poorly when it was time for DIBELS, because they did not have the basic literacy skills. They only had memorized a few words or books.

21. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Another teacher had a 3-year old who could read. Mom was very proud. However, he had a difficult time playing with other children, would not try certain activities if he thought he would not "do it right", and had limited large motor skills.

Everyone has a talent in some area, and that will shine. But I think it is more important that people learn to work hard in areas they are not as naturally talented in to become a well-rounded person.

22. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

I agree with the others too. I would not spend money on this. I would continue to read to and with your child. There is so much more to reading than just memorizing whole words. There are also all the things Vanna mentions above. I would be afraid there were thing that would need to be retaught.

There is no rush to reading. All my kids leaving first grade were above mid 2nd grade level and I had a handful at early kinder level when they came to me. You child has and interest and I am sure is bright. He will get it ... don't rush it.

23. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 30, 2009

Can we call it "Your baby has memorized some shapes of things without any meaning?"

24. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 30, 2009

Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.(1994)
    ~ Emilie Buchwald ~

25. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

Two words: Not appropriate.

Everyone else has elaborated on why, and I would listen to them. :hugs: