your age when you first started teaching

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dodgerblues, Sep 24, 2009.

1. dodgerblues

dodgerblues Rookie

Sep 24, 2009

how old were you guys when you first started teaching secondary education? did you feel that a young age could is a big factor in how the class perceives you? i only ask because i could potentially get my credential and start teaching while i'm still 22, and it sounds absolutely bizarre!

3. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 24, 2009

24. I suppose it did, just because I was asked often...how old are you? I didn't stew over it. If you are strong at what you do, you'll be fine...i.e. management.

4. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Sep 24, 2009

I actually first started at 21... I graduated college a year early, and began teaching high school. Thankfully, I looked a bit older, and while my age WAS questioned, I never told the students. My friends on the faculty knew, but never students. Most assumed I was in my mid twenties.

As for teaching high school while being young... it's tricky, but you need to be firm and establish yourself as the authority in the room. The kids will try to walk all over you. Don't let them.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2009

I was 26 when I started teaching high school. I was 22 when I started teaching college.

6. mrs.et

mrs.et Rookie

Sep 24, 2009

Hello! This is my first post here, but one of the things I am interested in. I am about to be 28, with a few more years left of school. I will be 31 when I am finished with everything and hopefully teaching high school. I feel so old sometimes, but I am just trying to keep my eyes on the prize.

7. dodgerblues

dodgerblues Rookie

Sep 24, 2009

haha, 31 isn't old at all. i was just curious because i've personally never had a *young* teacher (even for subs), so i've always wondered how they'd do in a classroom setting.

8. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Sep 25, 2009

I was 35!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2009

I was a month away from turning 22.

Those first few years I taught mostly frosh and sophs.

10. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 25, 2009

I was 26. I honestly felt bad for my coworkers who were 21 or 22 and looked it. I think they had to cultivate a sense of authority and demand respect more than I did, since they looked so young.

11. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Sep 25, 2009

Kids have horrible perceptions of age (especially the younger ones). I am 19 years old (started subbing at 18) and have been told anything between 16 and 30 years old.

12. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2009

Michael,
    Where are you that you can sub at 18? Did you start college at 14? Not trying to be snarky... just curious!

I was 23 when I got my first teaching position. I taught sixth graders, so it really wasn't an issue.

13. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Sep 25, 2009

I will hopefully be 25 when I start teaching high school.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2009

I'm a career changer, and I was 48.

15. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Sep 25, 2009

With my fall birthday, I was actually in my first classroom when I was 21. I actually had a kid that was 20 in my class.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2009

I was 22 the first year that I taught and I taught juniors and seniors. My age was not a problem because even though I did not look much older than them, I had been married for a year and was pregnant so they just kind of assumed that I was a little older than I was. I had not graduated in education and wanted to stay home with my children while they were little so I did not accept the position for the next school year. I did eventually go back to school and taught my second year 10 years later at 32.

17. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 25, 2009

I was 24!... I look older then I am, mainly because of facial hair.. so it hasn't been a problem for me.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Sep 25, 2009

I'm a career changer and was 36 when I started teaching high school.

I knew someone at a middle school I worked at who did one year of high school right out of college and she switched to middle school after one year. Part of the reason was her interest in the middle school curriculum, and part was that she did not feel comfortable teaching students so close in age to herself.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 25, 2009

I was 33 when I started subbing, 36 when I started teaching full time (as a Title I teacher in another teacher's class) and 37 when I was given my own classroom. This was after a decade of wandering aimlessly through finance and banking, kicking myself for quitting the education track at my college. On the other hand, I was too immature to be a good teacher until I hit my 30s, so it was probably for the best.

20. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 25, 2009

I was 22 when I started teaching middle school, 23 when I started teaching high school.

My first year of high school, the kids asked about my age, but I never told them. I just referred vaguely to the time I spent teaching middle school as if it were longer than a year. I got engaged that year, and by the second year of teaching high school when the kids (mostly 10th graders) couldn't remember the school without me and I was getting married in just a few months, they seemed to start thinking of me as an old lady.

Now I'd tell them my age, but at 29 with a baby on the way, no one seems that interested. I'm just "old."

I did have a parent at Back to School Night this year ask me if two years ago, the first time I had her son in class, was my first year. I was really confused: my first year of what? Teaching? It's been such a relatively long amount of time that I was surprised anyone would think I was a "newbie"! This is my 8th year teaching in the district, and I am in the top third of teachers in my department in terms of seniority.

21. dodgerblues

dodgerblues Rookie

Sep 25, 2009

i wish i could grow a beard. i think i'm forever doomed to look like i'm 20ish until i get gray hair. then i'll look like the 20 year old that got a bad dye job to look older.

22. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Sep 25, 2009

Baltimore Co., Maryland

They require subs to be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma. It has worked out great for me. However, some subs that work in the schools are horrible (those with and without degrees). In my (biased) opinion, it's all about why you are there and not how old you are. Experienced subs are few and far between (as it is either ed. majors, career changers, or mothers that want to be home when their kids get out of school). The subs that have subbed for years usually don't have an education; just their experience (which can be good or bad depending on their experiences).

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2009

I wouldn't have had the confidence to teach in my 20s - especially my early 20s. I really admire you all who start so young. I started at 47. One tiny advantage being older is that the students assume you've been teaching a LONG time (if they only knew).

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 25, 2009

25. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

I started teaching at 21. I'm a September baby, and unfortunatly (?) look very young for my age. Luckily I'm with elementary kids. I started my third year this year at 23.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2009

I was 23 when I first started teaching, but that was at the elementary level. I didn't feel comfortable teaching high school at that time. I'm now 28 and am in a middle school and feel completely comfortable teaching the kidds and could do high school at this age too.

27. DareToDream

DareToDream Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I turned 18 not too long ago and recently started college. I'm going to be getting field experience beginning Monday in a senior classroom. There could definitely be some students older than I am. By the time I start teaching at 22, I'm afraid I'll still look young.

28. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

I was 25 when I started teaching in the junior high. What helped me was creating a "professional teacher persona." I came to school everyday wearing dress pants and a buttoned-down shirt. I was professional. I didn't talk about my personal life.

Now that I am older. I don't feel like I have to keep that same persona. I am still professional but I dress more my style. My classroom management is the same but I don't feel like I have to pretend that I am older than I am to be taken seriously.

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 26, 2009

I had just turned 22 when I started teaching seniors. I had one 17 year old student, one 19 year old, and one who turned 20 before graduation. Most were 18. I never had any trouble. My best friend's boyfriend was in my class, which was a little weird. And once the assistant principal asked me where I was supposed to be---out in the hall during class time--and I told him I was on planning. It wouldn't ahve been so bad if that hadn't been my SECOND year teaching there.

30. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

I was 22 when I first started teaching high school. It's been 4 years now and I'm still considered the young teacher but thankfully my age isn't an issue anymore because my students have seen me around the building for a few years.

31. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

Thanks for starting this thread! I'm still an undergrad, but I will be 24 when I start teaching. I still look (and feel!) really young, but I have been married for 4 1/2 years and my son will be 2 by the time I start teaching. I'm hoping that makes me seem older to the high school students I'll be teaching. Our professors keep emphasizing that we need to look older or we'll never get a job, much less be good at classroom management. This thread at least gave me hope that it's possible! ;)

32. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 27, 2009

I don't know where he is, but I could have been subbing at 18. Subs need 60 credit hours of college to sub, and I had that many at 18. I started college at 17, went to summer school, and had taken AP classes in high school. So, I had the credit hours.

I didn't sub, however. I wasn't even in the eduation program when I started college.

33. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Sep 27, 2009

I was 24.

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2009

I started subbing 2 weeks after my 23rd birthday. It was weird because my sister was still in HS and I had her and her friends who I knew forever.

35. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 27, 2009

36. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2009

I wanted to add - I was 20 when I started subbing, but all they required was a HS diploma, so I could have been 18. In the district I was in, you had to be at least 23 to sub in high school, but that's not the case where we are now. Here, you can be 18 and sub in high school, as long as you have a diploma.

37. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Sep 27, 2009

I was 21, a long time ago.........

38. 4capulina

4capulina Rookie

Oct 11, 2009

I started teaching last year... when i was 28. I felt like being older and more mature helped me out alot. I speak for myself when i say that i was an idiot when i was 22; thus, i could never have taught at that age. :dizzy:

39. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Oct 11, 2009

I am 25. :)

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 11, 2009

I was a sub in my sister's high school and it was definitely weird having some of her friends in my classes! I never had her, though. I also had some siblings of the people I went to high school with! A lot of them knew me so even though I looked very young at 22 and 23, they knew I wasn't younger. I got asked for a hall pass one time by a monitor LOL I had to show her my sub folder so she would believe me :lol:

41. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 11, 2009

I was 25 and I was in the same High School which I graduated from.