Your 3-5 Year Plan?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2008

No matter what age you are, what are your plans for the next 3-5 yrs in every aspect of your life (career, financial, physical, spiritual, home/family, etc.)

Have a career (not just a job)
    Be a slimmer (& healthier) me
    Be married
    Try to own a home or at least have an apt

I'm a little frustrated these days. My parents are older than the parents of most people my age. I still live at home. I was really thinking how it seems that my life has been standing still for quite a while. I'm a sub & although I already have a MA & 2 credentials, I've just rtnd to school this fall to work towards being a speech pathologist, but I won't be done for quite a while (2013 :eek:)

I'm starting to feel like I'm on a deadline to do all the things I listed above. Is anyone else frustrated too? :(

3. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 25, 2008

Here! Here! I am turning the big 3-0 next week and I have really been thinking about my 5 year plan. Professionally, I'm fine. I have my masters and am thinking about getting my admin. certificate or potentially starting on a doctorate. In my personal life, I get frustrated because I never thought I'd be thirty and single. It has never bothered me before but I've been thinking about it the past few months.

4. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

i'm 26 today...and i've been really depressed about it...
    i'm not where I thought I'd be at all...
    I have a job...and workin...slowly...on my MAT...
    I live with my bf...but...I always thought I'd be married to the love of my life by now...yeah...not so much
    So many of my friends are married/engaged/have kids...and that's the only real thing I want in the near future. Oh...and to be out of debt.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2008

Honestly, current medical issues aside, I'm where I want to be.

I turn 50 in a few weeks. I have a great husband, 3 great kids, and a job I love.

That said, I think it's too easy to fall into the "where should I be??" trap. You SHOULD be exactly where you are. There's no race and no finish line. My younger brother has grandkids in the same age group as my own kids... that's life. I think that our culture has somehow convinced too many of us that there are deadlines, spoken or not, that SHOULD be met at a particular point in our lives. That's all artificial. We all know that there's no "one size fits all" pattern to life, and that it would be incredibly boring if it were so.

Of course, I would have no objections to winning LOTTO tonight so we could put our debt behind us and finally do the kitchen. But if it doesn't get done this year, it's OK.

Sorry if I'm waxing poetic. I just got medical clearance to shower, drive and finally sleep without a bra--- I'm one happy woman!!!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2008

You've got your priorities straight, Alice (and congrats on the medical clearance!); I see the next 5 years bringing many changes--some long-overdue endings and the resulting new beginnings. My daughter will be beginning university (she hopes with an athletic scholarship) and my son will be graduating university. I may, for the first time in my life, be living alone. Career-wise, I hope to continue to grow, learn and refine my practice. Kind of exciting looking forward!

7. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Sep 25, 2008

Hah! My life is so up in the air right now, I only have a 1 year plan :lol: If everything goes according to plan, by next September I will have earned my teaching license, sold our home, moved to a new town, bought a new house, worked as a long-term sub for a semester, and then started my first full year teaching. Whew! MAYBE we'll start a family in 2 or 3 or 4 years (much to the disdain of my family, who's been asking when we're going to have a baby since we got married two years ago).

I know that there's no race, but this is just where we are right now. I need to find some kind of seasonal job until my LTS job starts, but I don't know whether or not DH is going to get the job he got a call about today and it's in the new town, so I don't know whether I should be applying here or there, and I would hate to get a job here only to have to leave in a month, ya know? The LTS job is in the new town, so I'm praying DH gets this job he got a call about today because I don't want to move without him, even if its only for a few minutes. UGH, I feel like our lives are stuck in hurry-up-and-wait mode. Oh well, I guess that's just life sometimes. It'll get better sooner or later.

8. reverie

reverie Companion

Sep 25, 2008

I'd love to find a meaningful career, begin my M.A., get out of debt/start saving, buy a house, get married, and have children. Wow, that's a lot, haha.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2008

Career: be in a school I love with tenure
    Personal: I'm where I want to be! I can't see anything changing there.
    Financial: I want to have some money in a savings account. And it would be nice not to have to worry about where the money is coming to pay bills.
    Spiritual: continue to grow in my faith
    Home/Family: Well we live in a wonderful house now, but sadly, just put it on the market today since we're wanting to move to NC. So in 3-5 years, I would like to be in a nice home in NC. We have a wonderful 4 yo now, but would love to add another one to the brood.

BTW:
    Alice-I'm glad that you are cancer free!
    st-:bdaysong:
    MrsC-I am so sorry that you are going through what you are.

10. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Sep 25, 2008

Aliceacc - I can see why other a to z members missed you so much. You seem to be one awesome lady. You have such great insight. Thank you for that. :angel: I try to live one day at a time(even one moment at a time). Although sometimes it is hard to do. I thank God every day for my husband. I also have a wonderful family. The only thing missing is the baby (we have been trying for awhile). When the time is right, it will happen. So to answer the 3 to 5 year plan, guess that's it! It's nice to see the positive words of others. :thanks:

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 25, 2008

I would like to be married to my boyfriend and own a house.

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

In the next year I hope to...

MOVE OUT!
    celebrate my first wonderful year of marriage!

In the next 3 years I hope to...(busy years!)

find a teaching job
    complete BTSA
    have a baby
    celebrate 3 happy years of marriage

In the next 5 years I hope to...

be settled in my career
    have my credential cleared
    celebrate 5 happy years of marriage

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 25, 2008

Great goals everyone! I realize it's not a race, but in my particular situation, like I mentioned, my parents are older, they're not going to always be in the best of health. I'm an only child & I want things to be happening in my life, so my parents can take the next step in their lives. My dad's been retired, but my mom isn't & she wished she was, but if I'm not at the point I need to be yet, it's harder on her. And my parents are definitely not the type to have me fend for myself.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 25, 2008

Oh, I'm so up in the air right now. I tend to take on every project in sight. In the last few weeks, I have started a new school year, taken on a second job as a princess at birthday parties, decided I need to start my Masters ASAP, started to plan our HUGE Halloween party, started to train for a marathon and started to work on a new business venture with my husband. That has been the last THREE WEEKS. I don't think much out of the 'now'.

But I really, really feel I need to open a school in the next few years. I'm struggling with what I'm going to need to do that. I'm trying to figure out where to do my masters, when I should begin it, etc. If I want to start it next year, I need to take the GRE test on Oct. 25 (also our big party day). That gives me a month to study. And less than four months to pull an application together. And then there's the question of how I'm going to manage to take a full year off work to go back (both my schools of choice are full time). We're trying very hard to save for a house (no small feat in CA), but that would not be possible if I took a full year off. But it could pay off big time. But if I start my own school, I'm going to find capital somewhere, and that would be huge, too.

And there is the question of a kid. I want one in my heart, but I know we have WAY too much going on right now. Plus I can't be a pregnant princess at parties. So our future is so up in the air right now, but not in a totally bad way. We'll see.

15. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Sep 26, 2008

1 year: Settled into my current job, settle into my marriage, and start my master's program, continue dance classes
    3 years: Have a baby, finish my master's and my hubby will finish his, buy a bigger house, travel to europe
    5 years: take some time off work and stay home with my kids, continue a happy marriage, learn to be a great cook

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2008

Love it dizzykates!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2008

I hope you didn't take my comments as criticism.

Actually, they were an outgrowth of a conversation with my niece at my father-in-law's wake last week. She's 24, and is in a job that she doesn't want to make a career out of. She said she finally internalized the idea that it's OK NOT to know exactly where she wants her life to go. Everyone has told her that for a while-- she has her BA and isn't sure whether to go to grad school or in which field she wants to work. But somehow recently it just clicked-- she can stay at this job for another year or two or three-- whatever it takes until she finds a direction she likes. Actually, the race analogy was hers and I plaguarized. :)

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 26, 2008

Alice, congratulations. I hope everything stays positive for a long time to come!

MrsC, it's great to see you so positive. I know that can't be easy and I admire your ability to draw from your experience in a way that puts you back on top.

As for my 3-5 year plan...

In most areas, I am where I want to be and I feel blessed everyday.

Healthwise, I'm extremely healthy, not even a cold in the last 2 years and I hope to stay that way. I'd like to be a little smaller, but I'm not extremely disatisfied with my body---I can easily live with myself.

Family...We are a close family and I would like for my hubby and me to be starting to look at ways to make a smooth transition in our family situation as the kids grow up. We don't do a whole lot now, much of life is focused on the kids; so in the next few years, we should be gradually refocusing our attention on each other by finding things we can enjoy together and getting used to having the kids around less. Daughter will be starting university, son will be in high school. Keep working at keeping the kids well grounded and rounded so they don't fall prey to all the negative influences out there.

Financially...some major debts are due to be paid off by 2011, so I would like the scale to slowly start tipping the other way--less in the red, more in the black.

Career...I'm hoping that within 5 years, I won't have to deal with the surplus situation like I did this year. I know it may still take a few more years, but I'm praying that we get a slew of retirements soon so my place on the seniority list give me a little more security and choice as to my job situation--I'd like to be teaching grade 7/8 in an academic setting with students who are at level or above (like I had last year). That is what I find most stimulating and rewarding personally.

House...Hopefully all the renovations that I want done are done within the next 5 years (bathrooms, basement floor, outside deck and some additional landscaping.

That's about it for me. As for the state of the world 5 years from now...that kinda scares me but I try not to think about it.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2008

Oh, not at all! :)

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Sep 27, 2008

Are we twins seperated at birth? haha with the exception of the MA and 2 credentials and the working towards speech pathologist job we are alike. We are both in school for a teaching job though. Mind if I ask your age?Only reason is because I feel I am too old to still be living @ home. You can send it to me privite message if you need to. My parents are not the type to have me fend for myself either. They have done everything they can to keep me going to college and able to live at home. They have put up with a lot out of love for me. I am really wanting to be out on my own and supporting myself. It is so hard having to depend on them for so much. Although I am very greatfully that I have them to depend on.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2008

I'll PM you mandagap06! :)

22. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Ok girls.... listen up..... I know this sounds REALLY sad....

My goal is to divorce the physchopathic AH I've been married to for 17 years because I was older than 30 and wanted a house, children and a companion when I got old.

BE PICKY!!!! VERY PICKY!!! Don't just settle. Don't let them fool you. You still have time. (yes, I'm waving my arms frantically and looking like a pathetic fool.) I do have 2 wonderful children and I was 37 the first time I got pregnant. It's the only thing I don't regret.

Don't get me wrong, I think a great husband and family can exist and would be wonderful, just be sure you don't have ANY doubts. (My best friend married at 35 to a WONDERFUL man!)

There ARE crazy people out there masquerading as normal people that you only have a "feeling" about... no facts. (check court records...)

Just BE CAREFUL!! and TRUST your feelings.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2008

tgi1515, I agree w/ you 100%. For me, I'd like to be married by now, but I'm not feeling frantic or like an old maid. I definitely don't want to rush into marriage. It's extremely hard to find a good man these days & many times, it's better to stay single. I'm not afraid to stand alone that's for sure.
    My mom was my age when she got married & had me at 36. I'm definitely in no rush to have kids any time soon.

I'm sorry about your situation. Life is too short to be miserable. If you really want to end your marriage because you're not happy, then do what you feel. It's YOUR life & no one's to tell you otherwise, not relatives, friends, etc. Men sure don't hesitate to walk out on their women all the time.

24. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Ms. I - Thanks. It's complicated and I wish I could walk - just can't... but it WILL be his idea..... eventually.

Just always trust yourself.... and don't forget to dream.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2008

tgi1515, so, you'll just stay unhappy in the marriage until HE ends it? It's a shame that he's given this power (whether that's unbeknownst to him or not), but if that's what you want to do.

Thanks for your motivating words! :)

26. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Sep 27, 2008

Ms. I - I wish is was easy and I could use my own power. It's NOT easy when a psychopath is involved. I'm not trying to sound mean.... it's that if you don't understand... I'm not exaggerating...

psy·cho·path (sī'kə-pāth') Pronunciation Key
    n. A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

(and don't forget controlling)

I don't want to be on the news here.... SO, it will have to be his choice.... I do appreciate your thoughts and concerns..... I just felt the need to encourage single women to trust themselves and follow your instincts even when you don't know why.... in short, don't make my mistake.... Like I told someone else today.... I'm in a low place right now... but the good thing is..... every direction is up.:) I'm glad there is a place like this to share safely, laugh, and feel better with friends.

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 27, 2008

tgi1515, I hope you don't think I was trying to undermine your situation. If it's that bad, it's that bad. I truly hope you get the happiness you deserve, after all, it's never too late for that. Stay safe.

28. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

I have so many things, but mine is really the next 2-5 years. I hope to have finished my certification by then, and to have a full-time teaching position. I would love for my husband and I to be able to by our own house (at the end of that timeframe, I'm sure). My son will be in preschool by then (oh my!). And I would love for my husband to be working in a job that pays him what I think he's worth. ;0)

Right now, we're far from that. We live with my mom, he makes barely above minimum wage, and I'm still trudging along at my degree. We're a long way from where we were 5 years ago, and I certainly hope we can say that 5 years from now.

29. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2008

hmm in the next 3-5 years I hope to....
    paint my family room--it's been 10 years and I haven't done it yet...
    lose weight...AGAIN
    see my oldest two into college and have one graduating from WSU
    see my youngest start her first year in highschool
    finish my pro-cert
    get on top of my laundry situation
    win the lottery

30. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2008

I am fairly happy with where I am in life at this point. I was young when I got married (21 years old) and accidently got pregnant 10 months later. We found out that I had fertility problems that would only get worse as I got older so and since I am an only child, we did not want our child to be one. I taught one year but had 3 children by the time I was 25 so we decided it was more cost effective to have me stay home rather than pay for daycare. I was home for the next 9 years. We did not have extra money during that time. Even when I went back to work, I was pretty much paying private school tuition so there still was not extra money. Now that my children are older we are finally able to have extras. We live in our dream home on 2 acres of property, have been able to buy new cars for both of our daughters as graduation gifts and will soon buy our son a truck. We can also go in a store without thinking, "What will we have to give up to buy this?" Our kids have turned out to be great young adults despite us being their parents and we are still young enough to enjoy our life. I really did not ever think that we would get to this point in life during our struggling years!

31. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Sep 27, 2008

You know, chemteach55 - and I hope you don't take this the wrong way - but thank you so much for the inspiration!! DH is 23, I'm 22, we've been married for 3 years and have an 8 month old son. Things are NOT working out as we had planned and we are really struggling. It's really nice to hear of others who have been in similar situations and to be reminded that we CAN make it! Thank you!! :)

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 28, 2008

chemteach55, it's nice to hear that young couples can still make it. The chances of it not working out may be a lot greater & it's a tougher road, but success still happens.

33. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Sep 28, 2008

In less than a year I will have finished my master's degree. After that there are a lot of things I would like to do.

I'd like to move out of my parents house FINALLY.
    I want to buy a film SLR camera and take a photography class.
    I want to travel out of the country: either for a vacation, for volunteering, or for teaching

All of these things are ways that I can step outside my comfort zone a little and grow more independent.

In five years, I'll be 29, so yes I can say that I would love to have found someone and have a family, but that's definitely something I cannot plan for!

34. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 28, 2008

A master's degree keeps popping up in my thoughts; other than that, I've got everything I need.

I'm going to be 50 next year and we've been talking about what we would like to do to celebrate. We talked about spending Christmas in Germany or going to London, but I don't need to go anyplace...I'm happy down on the farm with my husband and my cats.

35. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

I'm currently 25, so in the next 5 years i hope to be done with my Phd in education. Currently I'm working on my master in administration and hopefully will finish next year. Here's my break down of my goal each year.

Year 1: Finish my full single subject credential; Currently have Clear Multiple subject, and Clear Single subject - Foundational Math

Year 2: Finish MA in Administration

Year 3: Start Doctorate work

Year 4: Continue Doctorate work

Year 5: Finish Doctorate work.

So when I'm 30, after my doctorate, I hope to get a house and start on National Board Certification. =)