Younger colleagues?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2021

I’m older in terms of age but not with teaching experience. This fall will be the first time that I will have a math teaching colleague younger than I am but with experience. Other times, it’s either math colleagues older or with rookies. So, on that note, would it be weird for me to ask my younger math colleague for advice on different teaching techniques or approaches?

3. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jun 2, 2021

Not weird at all! It's really encouraging as a young teacher to be able to reciprocate support and advice for older colleagues. It's nice to feel like others see what we have to contribute, since usually younger teachers are seen as less experienced or having less expertise.

readingrules12 likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 2, 2021

I have been teaching for over 20 years and still get ideas from teachers who are younger and/or less experienced. Sometimes they have fresh ideas. When I started at my new school the principal had one teacher come to me to get ideas for certain lessons because she was having difficulties. She was both older and had been there longer than me. I didn't mind her asking for help.

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Jun 3, 2021

Most teachers are happy to share their tricks. Some teachers do not want you to adapt a signature technique. For example, a teacher in our building names her class "the superstars". When a new teacher did the same thing, the older teacher was annoyed. Perhaps the new teacher should have adopted a different name for her students. The trick was naming the students to give them an identity then to leverage that identity for the emotional and academic benefits to the students.

a2z likes this.
  6. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jun 3, 2021

I think we have to pull inspiration from wherever it presents itself. There’s absolutely no harm in taking solutions from someone, regardless of their experience.

7. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 4, 2021

Why would it be weird? Asking for advice, done correctly, helps to build relationship. Perhaps something to think about is the way in which it’s done. You don’t want to be a pest or a know-it-all. As you probably already know some types give the illusion they are seeking advice when in fact they need to shoot you down in order to boost their egos. It goes something like this: Ego,“Hi. Just wondering how you teach ______ .” … Me, “I do ______ and then ______ .” … Ego, “Really? I’m surprised you would teach that way when all the research says it doesn’t work. I do ______, ______, and_______. My students’ test scores have never been better.”

I’ve always liked the think time approach; leaving a note or email in advance of actual meeting - something like Hi _____. I’m looking for ways to teach _____ . If it’s not too inconvenient I’d like to talk to you about the way you teach ______ . When would be a good time?

miss-m likes this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2021

One of the reasons I enjoy having interns is so that I can see how other people do things. I have always learned something new from every younger teacher I’ve worked with.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2021

No. It would actually be a good idea.
    I am curious as to why you think it may be weird.
    At every level and age people have ideas to contribute. Some are the ideas are things to expand upon or use directly, with permission. Others are ideas to avoid at all cost.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2021

I guess I’m of the “more experienced help the less experienced.” And most of the time, the older ones have more experience. It’s been that way for me ever since internship. I just didn’t want a repeat of what happened with me (younger with less experience) and the other guy (older with more experience) where he came to me with questions about the content.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 7, 2021

Even if you have more in terms of years of experience a teacher that has learned different things either in college or at a different school could help even a veteran teacher with new ideas.

Aces and a2z like this.
  12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2021

Based on what I remembered from your posts, there was more going on in that situation than an older, more experienced teacher wanting to find out tips and tricks that he or she didn't know.

13. Aces

Aces Devotee

Jun 7, 2021

Do you know what the most dangerous phrase in the English language is?
    “That’s how we’ve always done it.”
    Or, in broader terms, being unwilling or unable to bring fresh ideas in and adopt to those ideas. I don’t blame you, you’re a math teacher (I’m kidding, of course).

Never be afraid to try new things or draw experience from multiple sources, regardless of their experience. They might have learned something from one of their professors in college and just adapted it. I actually did this with my trebuchet project. My physics prof in college told us about the assignment and I just adapted it/added my own touch. Even being a new teacher at the time, my trebuchet project was considered to be a breath of fresh air. And even though I’ve since left the school, the science teachers are STILL doing that project.

a2z likes this.