Young Woman Applying for High School Teaching Job- Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Moogeeg, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 4, 2014

Hello, all!

I am finishing up my student teaching now (I am a Family Consumer Science (Home Ec)/English minor, and I have an interview set up for a position teaching FCS at a wonderful high school.

I am a bit conflicted as to how I want to wear my hair for the interview. I know this sounds ridiculous, but I do not want to look like a high schooler when interviewing. I have decently long hair (it reaches the small of my back). I have considered getting my hair blown out and wearing it down, doing it in some kind of low bun updo, or wearing it half-up, half-down with a pretty clip.

What do you folks think would be the most professional-looking way to have my hair done? I would especially love to hear from those who have been on interview committees, but all input is helpful and appreciated.

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 4, 2014

I always wore mine down but it wasn't long. It barely touched my shoulders.

My students seem to wear ponytails a lot.

4. teach1

teach1 Companion

Apr 4, 2014

Personally I think half-up, half-down tends to make people look younger. However, I've worn my hair like that to an interview before and was offered the job.

I also think as long as your hair looks clean and tidy you will be fine with any of the choices you listed.

5. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Apr 8, 2014

Thanks!

Thank you!

I tried a low ponytail for a career fair yesterday and it actually looked quite professional. I am glad it worked out.

6. ayla

ayla Companion

Apr 9, 2014

I always did my hair in a professional bun or braid.

7. ScienceEd

ScienceEd Companion

Apr 10, 2014

It depends. can you have a neat bun or braid? If not I would clip it back out of your face.

That was the advice I would get. They don't want you playing with your hair during interviews.

I've found most of my students have pony tails as well.