Young teacher on the verge of quitting

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kgquick118, Sep 5, 2018.

1. kgquick118

kgquick118 Rookie

Sep 5, 2018

Been working for this school district for about a month, on the verge of quitting. The kids are okay, the administration is passive aggressive and not supportive of new teachers, and the work is emotionally grueling, not what I expected.

3. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Sep 5, 2018

I understand how you feel. I am also planning on leaving. My kids are lovely, but the co-teacher is horrible. The rest of the grade team also feels this way. I have already cried, gotten sick, and needed to meet with my therapist several times because of her.
    The only thing that has kept me here to this point is the free health insurance. I also don't want to quit, since then I wouldn't get unemployment. I am fine with getting fired, since I don't want to deal with her anyway. Then I will move to a different state (I have been looking at Florida or Pennsylvania) and start over there.

LittleShakespeare likes this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2018

If you are planning on relocating, I would advise that you resign rather than wait to be fired. It will have to be reported on any job application and it is much easier to explain a poor fit than a firing.

otterpop likes this.
  5. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Sep 5, 2018

I thought about it, but at this time of the year there are less job openings. Unemployment offers me a safety net for several months. I would prefer trying to explain a firing to a school then trying to explain why I can't pay my bills or student loans.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 5, 2018

If you're willing to relocate somewhere with a shortage, you could find a job right now. I would not rely on unemployment as a solution.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2018

There are parts of Florida that have plenty of openings year round.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2018

Moving to a different school or state doesn't guarantee you won't have issues there. Your kids are 'lovely' and the rest of your team seems to share your opinion of the co=teacher. Rely on them and suck it up. There are 'horrible' people everywhere.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2018

Are you planning on a different career?

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    futuremathsprof and kgquick118 like this.
  11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 5, 2018

How exactly are things different that you expected?

I’m on year 26, and some years have been awful. The good thing about education is that you get to start over every year. My district used to hardly ever have anyone leave except to retire or sometimes take a different position in the district. Even when things didn’t change much from the previous year, there were enough changes to make things different enough to feel like a fresh start. This year we have had a lot of changes. Still a fresh start.

Difficult people are everywhere. Leaving one difficult person behind just means another is waiting somewhere else.

A month really isn’t a good judge of what a place is really like, IMO. It takes awhile to get your bearings. We are a month in, too, and I am still trying to get into my groove. New admin. New teammates. New schedule. New kids. It may be year 26, but it is still an adjustment every year.

12. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Sep 5, 2018

Here's what I remember about my first year of teaching: I had a perpetual pit in the bottom of my stomach until the month of January, and then I finally realized that I could do this. That was thirty years ago - but I still remember feeling awful. I worked with a supportive administrator, but I was the only new teacher at my end of the hall. The other teachers were not unkind, but the procedures that they used were built through years of teaching and building their reputation; they just didn't work for me. Additionally, while I enjoyed the students in that first class, they had earned a reputation for being a challenging group of 30 students. I learned a great deal about what worked for me that year, and, as others have said, the next year was a completely different story. Before you decide to make a change, I would encourage you to give it a little more time. Many of us felt totally overwhelmed in the first month, but things did eventually turn the corner. If you still feel the same after a few more months, you can then explore other options knowing that you took enough time to make a well-thought-out decision.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2018

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  14. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Sep 5, 2018

This has me on pins and needles. I am switching from ECE to Elementary Ed

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 5, 2018

Is this your first teaching assignment? The administration part--well most bosses out there aren't great in any profession. Teaching is emotionally challenging--no doubt. Was your student teaching similar? I'd change schools over a bad boss (at the end of the year), but I wouldn't quit teaching if you feel it is for you. If you quit this early, it is going to make it really tough to get another teaching job. Are you sure teaching isn't for you?

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 5, 2018

The kids? The parents? The administrators? Classroom management? Curriculum? Paperwork? Public opinion? Testing? A combination?

I just wonder how reality differed from expectation. Even with the official internship program not around now, I still think it is important to help. Maybe it is hard to put a finger on it, but knowing a place to start would help. We always start interns with self-reflection. From there the first observations will usually show a place to start working, but that isn’t always where interns think they struggle.

I wish I had a good suggestion to fix it. We are getting fewer people going into education every year. I don’t know what we are going to do.

17. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2018

I can't stay. I have already gotten sick (my doctor believes that stress had a role in this) numerous times. This stress is from me trying to deal with her. And to be honest, the therapist visits are getting expensive (he charges $60/session).
    I might try to relocate to a different school in the county, but I don't know if that would be possible.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 6, 2018

Can you see about taking a medical leave?

19. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Sep 6, 2018

The therapy sessions may be covered by insurance.

20. Janedo5513

Janedo5513 Rookie

Sep 7, 2018

Florida is worse in education. I live here and it's ridiculous. Can you try to minimize your time seeing her throughout the day?

21. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2018

The truth is that there is usually going to be a thorn in your side wherever you go, that one person who you can't stand, and, who you feel can't stand you, either. Maybe it is because I subbed for a while before earning my certifications through AR, but I just assume that some people will seem difficult. Sometimes they are socially awkward, other times they are wanting more of you, or they are even hoping that you will become more involved, and almost certainly more capable in your job. I don't know you or your coworker, but I am somewhat taken aback to find that you are up for being fired because of the unemployment benefits. To me, the stress of trying to live on an income that is only slightly above half of what you are making now would seem to almost guarantee more therapist visits, minus the free health care. I worry, MaleTeacher, that you are looking for perfection without some stress in your life, and it isn't realistic, IMHO. If you do find it, however, bottle it and the world will beat a path to your door.

readingrules12 likes this.