Young girls joking about being pregnant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Dec 3, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

I have a kid in 7th grade who is always saying "I'm pregnant!" I also have kids who will stick balloons in their shirt and act like they're pregnant.

I remember I used to play around like that when I was in high school and all my teachers would yell at me and say it's not funny.

And of course now I get it. How do you address kids pretending to be pregnant? This one girl who does it all the time is severely ADHD and has recently started medication.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2012

I'd call in the guidance counselor if ths continues past any conversation you have with your student. This is attention seeking behavior...and totally inappropriate. You need to make that clear.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 3, 2012

The balloons under the shirt doesn't bother me at all. Actually claiming to be pregnant is another thing. I wouldn't call in the counselor but I would tell the girls it was inappropriate and I didn't want to hear such talk in my classroom.

5. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 3, 2012

I think there are 2 related but separate conversations:

1) How do you stop inappropriate behavior by a student with ADHD from happening?

and

2) Is there anything else you should specifically do because the inappropriate behavior involves discussion of pregnancy.

In terms of #1, I would deal with the behavior like I would deal with other unwanted behaviors. In terms of #2, I would do a bit more assessment and figure out why the girl seems to be particularly interested in the concept of pregnancy - or, I'd have a guidance counselor do it if you feel it's beyond your scope. Depending on what you (or the counselor) find out, you might do different things. For example, what if the girl is fascinated by pregnancy because her mom is pregnant? That would be different than if the child was in a relationship with a boy and thinking about sex. Without knowing the underlying variables, it's hard to suggest a particular strategy. But, next step would be more assessment.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 3, 2012

Is that what some pre-teen girls are doing these days?! Between whether it's good or bad, I don't think it's good that they're joking about this. I've never seen it before, but I believe it. Maybe if enough gals are doing it at a certain school, they should have the homeroom teacher give a little talk about it. I never did that kind of thing myself when I was a pre-teen/teen.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

She never says anything in my classroom. This always happens during breaks while I'm standing outside. She might just come up to me and say "Teacher, I'm pregnant! No, just kidding!" then laugh and run away. I usually just say "that's not okay to joke about" but not so much in a lecturing way.

I think it's a good idea to contact the psychologist. The student's mom is a teacher at the school and I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant!

8. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2012

Maybe you could notify the mother as well.

9. Ilovesummer

Ilovesummer Companion

Dec 3, 2012

I've seen kids of all ages stick balloons under their shirts to look pregnant before. I think that's pretty normal when they're handed a balloon. To have a student that age actually saying that she is pregnant as a joke, is much more of an issue in my opinion. Seems like a weird thing for her to be joking about, especially if it happens more than once.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 3, 2012

Sounds like attention-seeking behavior and not much more than that. She said it once and got a reaction she liked so she's continuing it. A side conversation, not just a response, would probably take care of it.

11. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 3, 2012

If the mom is a teacher at the school, that would definitely be my first stop.