Young female embarking on a career in high school teaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nicki_lee, Aug 17, 2008.

1. nicki_lee

nicki_lee New Member

Aug 17, 2008

Hi All,

I am a young female, of quite small stature, about to embark on a career in secondary education. I was hoping for some advice/ tips on behaviour managment. I don't anticiapte any problems but can envisage some students thinking they can get away with a lot given my size and age. Any ideas on strategies to avoid problems before they start?

Thanks, Nicki

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Day One --- Clearly state your expectations ..... When they don't meet these expectations .... hammer them... otherwise have fun teaching.....:):)

I know some young female teachers who can be downright scary.... :lol::lol:

4. RLucas

RLucas Rookie

Aug 17, 2008

Act like you know what you are doing and show no fear! I have had to step in between two 6+ft guys to break up a fight but I showed no fear. It is all about respect with high schoolers, do not give an inch and expect them to give you respect. I also wear high heels to appear taller then I am!

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 17, 2008

All good advice, I will add don't dress like a teenager, don't shop in the juniors department for your work wardrobe.

6. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 17, 2008

Join the club! Though I'm doing my student teaching with 6th graders.
    Dress older than you are - i do not mean like your mother - but definitely not like you are younger. Classics are a good idea, sweater sets.. Look like a teacher. (juniors section is ok for plain shirts and pants, i know sometimes you can't find anything that fits in other sections.)
    Act like a teacher - you are not their friend, they have enough of those - create and follow through on expectations. You may have to be more strict than other teachers. Fake it if you have to but at least pretend you know what you're doing.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

Don't let ANYTHING slide. Make them leave the first day thinking they'll hate you. My classes (in the middle school and when I was teaching at a community college) always leave the first day with dropped jaws thinking I'll make the marquis de sade look like a pansy. Repeat yourself often if you have to and don't give an inch. Most of all, be confident in yourself. If you're not...fake it. You'll be fine. Good luck :)

8. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 17, 2008

I agree with you 100 % I do this and stand by this :D It works.

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

The marquis de sade part isn't true is it, mmswm.........:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Major......:p:p

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 17, 2008

:D :D :D

Of course it's not...but that's not what they think in the first few days. :D

11. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 17, 2008

On the last day of school my kids joked.....They said "Miss! We walked in last year and said where is the teacher?"

I always try to dress like a teacher - I don't want to blend in. I dressed up everyday (though I'm not gonna lie by the end of the year I was slacking...but by then the kids knew me).

Be stern and ALWAYS follow through with what you say (they remember everything). They are gonna try to be your friend - so you have to make sure they don't cross that line.

12. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

All great advice, especially the ones that say "don't give an inch". If you let one thing slide they are going to think that you are one of them and will view you as a buddy and not as a teacher. You will be fine :) Good luck this year!