You see a job opening. So you send your resume. Then the potential employer says fi

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tgpii, Aug 16, 2014.

1. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

You see a job opening. So you send your resume. Then the potential employer says fill out an application. Only thing is the application has the same questions that your resume already answered. Other then to see if you can do it or if someone else did your resume for you what is the point? Also, there are so many unemployed teachers, yet colleges are pushing there programs for teachers. Why is this? :help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2014

Because sometimes you just have to follow the rules. If you are interested in the job, fill out the application.

Colleges make $$$ regardless of how many teacher graduates there are in the job market . Students who are unaware of the realities of the education employment situation should do their research...I'm always a bit dumbfounded by those who are surprised by pay scales and the tight market.:2cents:

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 16, 2014

The application is standardized to include all the info they want from every candidate. Every resume is not the same. Maybe they care about GPA and not every resume lists that. Yes, it can be tedious (trust me, I've filled out my share of applications, I know how annoying it can be) but if that's what they want to streamline their application process then you just have to do it if you want to be considered for the job.

And why do colleges push the program? Because students will continue to pursue these programs and the college needs to have students and make money. It's in the college's best interest to have students in their classes. The individual has to decide if it's the right major for them.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2014

You have missed a couple of key points. I agree that filling out the application seems redundant, but once you do a few, all is well. Save the essay questions on your computer to plug in and import the common data from previous apps (applitrack) and they start to go much faster. In regards to teachers in oversupply, there are gluts of teachers in dream districts and ideal neighborhoods, while many district struggle to find teachers in high poverty or less desirable districts. Add to that the fact that a fairly high percentage of new teachers will not still be teaching by year five, and you have answered your own question. Remember that not all teacher candidates are necessarily going to be good teachers, no matter how good the education, just like lawyers, doctors, or any other profession. Universities teach where the enrollment takes them, and don't go out and drag students off the streets. Just my opinion from the other side of the street.

6. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 16, 2014

Applications are tedious to the max but make us all look the same.

It's the same with nursing. There are so many programs and IMO there's a big push for people to go back to school to get their RN/BSN and teaching certification.

Yet there's still so many unemployed nurses and teachers.

Why? Because people will continue to be born and get old and pass on. Two areas the US cannot outsource or computerize. You can't have digital medical staff and teachers. It's just not happening.

Every 5th woman I meet is "I'm back in school getting my RN" and every 15th person is getting their teaching certification.

7. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

Principals have certain criteria they screen for during the application process. So say they only want teachers with an ESL certification, they can do a search and only get those applicants in the results.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 16, 2014

If the principal asked you to fill out an application, he/she must be interested in you as a candidate. Are you no longer interested in the position? I guess I'm not understanding the problem with this.

9. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 16, 2014

It is probably board policy. Fill it out and GOOD LUCK! Hope you get it!

10. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 16, 2014

My current position I got with only my resume. There is one application I needed to meet my states requirements but I had a copy on me. I gave them the copy after I was hired.

11. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 17, 2014

Every position is different so naturally it would have a different process. Did you think they'd be the same? :confused:

Preschools are independent. A school district is a completely different beast governed by the state. Fill out the application if you really want the job.

12. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 17, 2014

THANKS

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 17, 2014

Our system wants a "letter of interest", too. To me, if I'm apply for the specific job posted, then you would think my application and resume would tell you that I'm interested in the job. LOL

Now, when there are SEVERAL jobs posted, I can see where you might need a letter to specify which job you want... math, reading, SPE, etc. Easier to sort it out.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2014

1. If you need a paycheck, you do what you have to do to earn said paycheck.

2. There are areas in this country with teacher shortages; due some research and relocate. Colleges are only in the business of making money, that is there only responsibility and obligation.

15. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2014

Your resume is not likely to mention if you have convictions for things other than traffic violations, nor will you willingly put information about things like child abuse (should this apply to you), your name being on a sex offender's list, why you left your last job, and whether or not you were terminated. You create a resume to sell yourself. The application will ask about the things no one wants to mention in a resume. I know that my resume does not include copies of my certifications, my letters of reference, or room for a personal statement about what may be between the lines of a resume, whether you wrote it or had it written. Besides being time consuming, the application should give you a chance to sell yourself a little more, or it may point out potential problems for credentials and clearance, and make sure that what you say on your resume is backed up by the facts on your transcripts, etc. This is NOT simply an education thing - many jobs have the same hiring practices for the same reasons. As far as the letter of interest, in bigger schools/districts/companies, the letter of interest simply assures that your application and information gets to the right department or person. It just occurred to me that it also shows whether or not you write well, are careful enough to truly proofread and use spell check, and use the correct conventions in your correspondence, all of which would have a bearing on how you would represent the company in correspondence. Glaring mistakes always catch my eye, so I would imagine the same to be the case in personnel. :2cents:

16. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

For the right job I would do almost anything.