"You need to stop talking so loud"

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 26, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 26, 2013

The title of this post is what I hear everynight. I guess I'm talking really loud at school...and continue to do so when I come home. Its that time of year - we all forget how little and...untrained they are at the beginning of the year.

Im at a new school this year teaching Pre-K and I REALLY have to wonder what went on in Preschool. About half my kids cant write their names and any sort of school work they have no interest in. Today I planned two activities - one that I could assist and one that I THOUGHT with modeling they could handle. Nope. Lining up is a joke and WHY are they so loud? Oh well we've only been together 1 week and 1 day and every day I see little glimmers of hope :) but its a LONG way to graduation.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 26, 2013

If all my kids can write their name when they come to me in grade 1 I'm relieved! I think our kindergarteners work on recognizing their names at the beginning of the year. Relax, they'll get there! Lining up is also a joke at the beginning of grade 1. Glad to hear you can see glimmers of hope - hold onto those.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 27, 2013

They probably did A LOT in preschool last year! Kids forget a lot over the summer. Don't be too hard on their previous teacher, and hopefully, next year's teacher won't be too hard on you! :lol:

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 27, 2013

PS - I also find myself speaking TOO LOUDLY after school and at home. lol! This year I am going to try to have the soft-spoken classroom. Planning on lots of lavender scent in the classroom!

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 27, 2013

I like talking loud:) I wouldn't appologize for it. At least then I don't have to repeat myself when my hubby leaves socks on the floor! :lol:

7. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 27, 2013

Just curious, when did being able to write your name in preschool become an expectation? I consider it a process. Many children don't have it by the time the year is over. It sounds like you might have a very young or immature class who isn't ready for so much structure and product driven activities. (not sure what your activities are)

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

I would even go so far as to say that children have to know how to hold a pencil correctly and have proper hand strength before I would ever expect them to be able to write their names. I teach 3-6 yr olds and there's a developmental process that needs to happen with their hands before they're ready to write their names.

9. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Aug 28, 2013

How old are your kids? I teach my kids letters, sounds, and how to draw the letters but not how to write theirs names. Mine are too young for that and wouldn't be able to grasp that concept.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2013

I can't relate to pre-k stuff, but I am definitely a loud talker 24/7. I remember during student teaching all my classmates were losing their voices and I was doing just fine! :lol:

11. preschoollove

preschoollove New Member

Aug 29, 2013

I didn't know that writing your name was expected either. It definitely is a process that takes some children longer than others. I don't teach them to write their names. I hand them a name tag and at art I say, "Make sure your name is on your paper". Starts as scribbles but by end of year 98% have their names mastered. No pressure, I refuse to apply pressure. I find in my classes, the lower I talk the lower they talk. One day I was so fed up with the noise, I stopped talking and mimed for 2 hours. They got a kick out of that but it forced them to pay attention to me. It also showed that non-verbal communication is possible! After 16 years I have learned that if your lesson plans don't work, it is your lesson plan, not your students. Adjust and recalculate, find out what makes them tick and milk it.