YOU MIGHT BE A TEACHER IF ...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jan 21, 2008.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2008

Add to that list: You drool over the five shelf rounded bookshelf, just for binders, and you dream of where you will put them in your classroom and at home!

You ask your A to Z secret pal for pens, your family for dry erase markers for every special occasion

You visit buisnesses for cool posters or travel guides, just so you can cut up the pictures and make your own region posters (maybe just a social studies teacher thing?)

You go on a family vacation and you visit the gift shop just so you can buy items for your classroom (definatly a social studies teacher thing :D)

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2008

... your house is crammed with books and papers you can't bring yourself to throw away or sell because they might be useful in a class some time...

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2008

Here here! That is soooooooo true!

I ran into a retired social studies teacher, who retired like 10 years ago. When he found out I was a social studies teacher his very first question was for his wife "honey, do we have any of the lesson plans left for her?"

:D :D :D :D :D

4. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jan 22, 2008

You might be a teacher if you dream that you are correcting papers at night.

Or that it is the first day of school and you don't have anything ready!

Or that your "problem" student has let the air out of your tires.

You might be a (Spanish) teacher if someone ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink of water and you say, "en espanol, por favor".

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008

Every single one of these has happened to me. Except add maxi pads to the afraid to buy list (every parent in town finds me then), and I paid for 2 kids, and a parent to go on a field trip last week.

I also held my hand up to quiet a crowd once- it was embarrassing when they all realized what I did :blush:

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 22, 2008

:eek::haha::eek::lol:
    You are not going to believe this! We didn't have school yesterday because of the holiday. Last night weather was starting to get bad a little south of here (people stuck on the highway for over 4 hours). When I read this post I thought "why not?" So I did it, and guess what?!?! NO SCHOOL!!!!

Okay back to the thread....

You might be a teacher if...

7. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

If you've told your friends when you're out on a Friday night to..."stop acting silly." I've never said the word 'silly' until I became a 3rd grade teacher...Now I'm slighly embarassed everytime I say it and I'm not in the classroom.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

You look for the "edcuational value" in every vacation you've ever taken.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008

NOW that was a good one

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

If...

Your own children have to ask if things in the shopping cart are for them or for school. (awww...)

11. KDS

KDS Companion

Jan 22, 2008

You have a closet with
    1. comfy clothes
    2. teacher clothes
    3. "real" clothes ...that you dont get to wear

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

I had to go buy blue jeans before I went on vacation because I didn't own any.

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

OK...no one brought it up.
    -you have trouble naming your own kids!!! (Because the name triggers a chill down your spine when you hear it!)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2008

So true, Diznee!!

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

~Mine 2nd one goes with this... I always told my students "pull over & fix your flat." I always want to do that.

~Walking backwards was a class in college (at least that's what I told my class)

16. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Jan 22, 2008

You're tempted to tell people to slow down whenever you see someone running (this is also a lifeguard thing)

The words "here comes the teacher" sends chills down your spine because you know someone is doing something bad.

You get random holidays off that no one else does and you are thanking GOD for every single one of them.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

SNOW DAYS!!!

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

You know that a "special" is not what's on the menu, but music , art, library

19. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

By 3pm.............. you feel like you could use a good nap

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2008

I was thinking by lunch time!!!;)

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

This year I have bus duty. Previously I got off at 3pm but always found this to be when I gained my best momentum. The kids were gone and my mind was still busy thinking. I've noticed that this year with the bus duty, having to stand there for an hour babysitting makes my mind go to mush along with my energy. When I try to go back to the room and work....I'm done for the day. It's amazing how that little change really affects my output.

22. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 22, 2008

ROFL. I'm glad I'm not the only one!!!! I always get hungry at snack time!!!
    :lol:

23. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jan 22, 2008

ROFL:rofl:....Totally True!!!!....and sad :( And they're completely organized too!!! First by season, then by article of clothing, then by color :p All my shoes are lined up in order from the darkest shoes (which I wear most often) to the lightest shoes.

24. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jan 22, 2008

You correct people's grammar mistakes, including total strangers. And then apologize. :eek:

25. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

I call my closet my teacher closet and I'm not a teacher yet. I seriously have color coded bins that separate toys, games, craft supplies and regular school or business supplies. They are even further color coded to tell my children which ones they can regularly dip into and which ones they have to ask because it is for work.

26. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jan 22, 2008

the sound of your own name (in proper form of course Miss, Mr, Mrs _____) makes your irritated because you hear it so many times during the day in the whiney child voice.

27. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Jan 22, 2008

I have always done that too, cut. :lol My kids playroom always looked like a kindy classroom, complete with a blackboard.:eek:

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 22, 2008

You ruin every single joke told to you by explaining why it is/isn't possible.

You ruin every "wow" story or magic trick by explaining the science behind it.

Your friends won't play poker with you because you spend to much time computing probablilites (okay, so this may be a math thing).

Complete strangers say "yes 'mam" to you in an afraid tone of voice and you realize that its because you were giving them the "teacher stare" when you were asking a question.

You catch yourself "acting out" a question before you remember that you're not in front of your classroom (okay, I'm a really physical teacher, I tend to do a lot of dancing/acting/silly stuff to get my points across).

29. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jan 22, 2008

hahaha, I'm going to have to do that! I always have to tell kids to turn around in line and look where they're going. Then they complain that I can walk backwards and they can't.

30. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

You might be a teacher if.....

your pants are only stained from your knees down (I teach Kindergarten)

you can find a way to store anything because you never know when it might come in handy

your online bookmarks are FILLED with only teaching websites

you have 18 "kids"

you get excited when Wal Mart gets their back to school section in (and MORE excited when it all goes on clearance)

you choose your clothes by how much they cover when you bend over, whether than style

you go to the next town so you can buy your groceries in peace

31. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2008

I have decided that my children will be unnamed, because no name is left in my book lol.

I also have told my kids that I am changing my last name, and I am not going to tell it to them ;)

32. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jan 22, 2008

you might be a teacher if... dealing with blood, vomit, snot, spit, urine and feces is part of your day at work (and there have been weeks/days when you've had to deal with them all... this was especially true when i taught preschool and kinder)

33. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 22, 2008

You should have said...

if dealing with blood, vomit, snot, spit, urine and feces were a normal part of your day and you don't work in the medical field.

34. heatherleigh

heatherleigh Companion

Jan 22, 2008

haha... yes that would have summed it up better.

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 22, 2008

Just wonder if I'm the only one who has sudden urges to throw something in front of kids with Heelys? I don't know why, but I think I'm getting closer and closer to doing this. Thank goodness they're banned from our schools!

36. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Jan 22, 2008

You've ever addressed your dog like a student... "Time to go outside.. outside... Thaaank yooou."

You've ever beamed with pride at particle board shelves that took five hours and 250 pieces to assemble, but will make class set book storage issues a thing of the past.

You've ever begged a copy machine to let you finish this one job without jamming. "Please, I promise no more copies this week if I can just finish this packet...I'll make them do everything else on notebook paper if you'll just give me this one favor..."

:D

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 22, 2008

SO true. My poor children...at this rate, they're cursed. No Dylan, Kade, DEFINITELY not Jonathan, Dalton gives me jitters...What's left? - "Come here, little Klondike Eugene, and bring your sister Astrid Dagmar..."

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2008

I like Noggin's style...

39. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jan 23, 2008

YOu know you are a Teacher if....

You start to refer to yourself in the 3rd person ..... Eg.

"Miss T's favourite colour is green."

or is that just me?

40. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jan 23, 2008

loves2teach says You cross your fingers when you hear the words "winter weather advisory" (well at least here in the south), and tell your students to wear their jammies inside out.

:lol: It actually does work!! :) Although not this week!! :mad: We could have so used one!! :)