you lost my paper!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Kenz501, Dec 2, 2017.

1. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 4, 2017

OP, what state are you in?

2. Anna Busby

Anna Busby Guest

Dec 4, 2017

When I was doing some student teaching, I had a student try and do this as well. For that assignment, I had a folder and a printed out roll sheet that I taped to the front of the folder, so when they handed me an assignment (as in a worksheet or exit ticket), I was able to grade as they handed me their assignment, and show them their grade. This helped me keep track of students who turned in their work, and it made it more difficult for them to tell me they turned it in without actually having done it. Another line I used is "Well if you did it already, then it shouldn't be too hard to just do the assignment again, right?" and this usually makes them roll their eyes and go back and do it. Again, for smaller assignments. I do not have enough experience to speak on the larger reports.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2017

I am (slowly) moving away from paper for a lot of my assignments. I post assignments on Google Classroom and the students submit their work there. No lost papers, no "it didn't save properly", no papers with no names.

vickilyn and Caesar753 like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2017

Part of being a good teacher is being resourceful. You have to seek out answers for yourself, because you can't expect anyone to anticipate that you don't already know X, Y, and Z.

You were given a new teacher binder but you only looked through a few pages of it. You scrapped a classroom management plan and didn't replace it because no one told you what to replace it with. You haven't done this thing or that thing or that other thing because no one told you how to do any of those things. This is not how you're going to be a successful teacher.

You frequently complain about not having been taught how to be a teacher in school. Okay, so what are you going to do about it now? You have two options: continue complaining and not living up to your own expectations, or figure it out and get better. Which path are you choosing? What steps are you taking along that path now?

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 4, 2017

OP is in Texas I think.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2017

A quick thought re attendance--we take attendance at the beginning of the morning and again after lunch recess. It is a legal obligation to be sure it is correct; any students who are absent must be accounted for or we need to call the police. I hold the attendance folder in my hand (it's a nice, bright colour) as the students enter the classroom and I don't put it down until the attendance is taken (I have a student deliver it to the office). Having that folder in my hand is a reminder of what I need to do.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 4, 2017

Here's an easy way to do attendance and to make sure you're accurate, even if you enter it in the computer 10 minutes later.
    1. you need to have assigned seats.
    2. you make a seating chart for each class, put it in a sheet protector, and on a clipboard. One for each class.
    3. When the bell rings you simple cross off students who are not there with a dry erase marker.
    4. So this way when the bell rang, you marked who was present and who was absent.
    5. Let's say you have to go over some things and don't have time to enter attendance right then, but only in 10 minutes. You look at the chart one more time, anyone sitting in a seat that was marked absent before is obviously a tardy student.
    That's it.
    I used to do this when I subbed (daily), or even longer term but didn't know the kids that well. I still do this in the beginning of the year when we have new kids. It's fast and accurate.
    Then you erase and do the same thing the next day.

You have to be very accurate with attendance. You can mark a kid absent, but he's in class, the secretary in the front office sees it in the system, calls home and let's the parent know the kid is not at school. Can you imagine the worry and chaos this can cause? Parents ready to call the police, leave work to look for them, only to find out you've made a mistake.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 4, 2017

How much do I love Google in the classroom? LOVE being able to show when work is/was submitted and to make comments that are shared by student and teacher.

MrsC likes this.
  9. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 5, 2017

I'm trying to adjust, but a lot of times I just feel like throwing up my hands and giving up. I do not know how to work through some of the problems I'm having, and "fake it until you make it" is poor advice, really, because while I'm up there pretending to be a teacher, what's happening to my students' education? I know that I don't know what I'm doing, but I've asked for help, and I still don't know what I'm doing.

10. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 5, 2017

I tried something like that, but I got so busy telling a few of my classes to sit down, shut up, and get to work, that I ended up not even entering it into the computer! I checked my online attendance records today, and I have two whole classes not accounted for. I took roll on paper but forgot to enter it in the computer! How stupid was that?

11. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 5, 2017

I want to start using Google classroom, but I don't have anything like that set up. I don't even know how to access it on my school's network. One of the other teachers introduced me to a few good programs that the kids can use, but using the online things for a whole class activity would require signing up for the computer lab, and, again, I just haven't taken enough time to get familiar with these resources. I've been introduced to plenty, so it is frustrating.

12. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 5, 2017

Yes, I'm in Texas.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 5, 2017

Are you listening to people when you ask for help? Are you doing what they're telling you to do? Are you reading books with answers to some of your problems?

Honestly, you're reminding me of some people I know.

I worked with someone who would refuse to learn how to use the computer. She would frequently miss meetings and important deadlines (like report cards!) because she "didn't know how" to check the part of our email system where announcements were posted (kind of like a message board). I showed her how to do that at least 3 times. The other people in the department showed her. The tech person showed her. Her supervisor showed her. She just refused to learn how to do it herself and wanted everyone else to do it for her. Not learning how to do it also gave her an excuse (a poor one) for not doing the most basic parts of her job. She did not last long at my school.

I have also encountered students over the years who refuse to learn. They sit there with their book open or their computers powered on, not doing anything. When they talk to me about their bad grades and I point how their tendency to not do work, they say, "But I am working!" No, kid, you're staring at a book, not reading, not thinking, not doing. Having a book open on your desk is not the same as reading it. These students always want to do extra credit, and they always complain that they're working so hard but they just don't get it. My counter argument is that "working so hard" often looks like, you know, actually working. Refusing to do the bare minimum in order to be successful, even if those refusals don't come with an attitude, is not going to help you be successful. The teacher providing help is not the same as you accepting it.

14. Kenz501

Kenz501 Cohort

Dec 5, 2017

I made the dean's list for academic achievement, and I scored a 4.0 in my field of study. I'm not lazy when it comes to academics. I'm also quick to catch on to tasks that are done online, as I prefer them to paper and pencil work. I do see your point, though. If it's not academic and more related to time management or organization, I'm not that good at it. I'm trying to keep up with what I was given, though, if I understood it.

I had a chat with the teacher who was helping me, though, and she said that she didn't have things handed to her either as a new teacher. She just had to research and dig until she found what she needed. That's more refreshing than, "you've been here for a few months, and you still haven't caught on?" I like working where I do.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 11, 2017

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you then. You do have to make the effort and make sure that you remember. I get it, we forget sometimes, but if it's an every day thing, you have a problem and you have to fix it.
    This is an easy system and literally foolproof. Obviously you have to remember to do it.