"You look too young to teach!"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Nov 4, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 4, 2008

ahhh, Today I heard this comment from a grandma picking up one of my 3rd graders. I haven't met her before. Why do people feel the need to say what they're thinking?!?!?! It really offends me when I hear this since I am almost 30 and have taught for several years! I feel like I have to defend myself by saying, well actually I have taught for several years.

It hurts my feelings!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2008

I think the best response is "Ah, you're too kind!"

Kill 'em with kindness!!!!

But some people simply have no idea of boundaries. Ask any woman who has ever been pregnant and you'll get an earfull!

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2008

UGH! I hate that too! I am 26, look in my teens, but have taught for four years now. Even my kids feel that I'm too young to teach as they sometimes remind me that my partner teacher is back in the classroom ready to take over. Grrrrrrrr....:rolleyes:

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 4, 2008

I have gotten that too and they are shocked when they find out how old I am. Also, one time some old man in the grocery store said I looked too young to be shopping! I don't know why people say such things! :confused:

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 4, 2008

Just wait until you've been around long enough for your students to say, "You're the same age as my grandma!" :eek: That was what led my mother to consider retirement.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2008

I agree w/ Aliceacc. Rather than be bothered by comments like that, take them in stride & say something like, "How sweet of you!"

8. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Nov 4, 2008

I used to feel like you...I was very young looking I guess. However, now that I am looking older, I WISH someone would say that to me! Just in the last two years (I am 31 now), it has stopped. I want to trade places with you and "look to young"!:)

9. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Nov 4, 2008

I'll have to agree with the camp that is suggesting you enjoy it while it lasts! Pretty soon you WILL look older and won't be getting those comments anymore and may long for the days when those comments came...take it from me...I've been there. I got carded in bars until I was about 33, then all of the sudden, I started gaining some weight, and I no longer look like a teen...the kids in my class now have me grouped in the "old person" category. *sigh* How I long to be carded again! LOL!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 4, 2008

I would kiss the person who said that to me!

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Nov 4, 2008

hehehe.... thanks for seeing it positively.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 4, 2008

I still hear this and I've been teaching for sixteen years. It's irritating, but there are worse things for parents to say!!!!!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 4, 2008

I want to say "How sweet", but... sometimes parents believe that teachers who look young cannot handle teaching their children, and some even try to boss them around.

Being 26- and looking perhaps 21 or 22- has its benefits and downfalls, I guess.

I carry myself older than my age at school, though- a few parents have been surprised that it's only my fifth year. A few have thought I am closer to 30.

14. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 5, 2008

Last year--year 15--one of the parents said, "Oh, you're another one of those new teachers, aren't you?"

I told her that I was flattered that she thought I looked young and fresh enough to be just starting my career.

Then the next student comes in and tells me that her MOM said I was her favorite teacher. EGADS!!

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2008

My last year of teaching I had students tell me I was older than their grandparents !

16. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Nov 5, 2008

I get a lot of parents telling me how old I teach, or mistaking me for a student, because I teach high school. People think its a compliment to tell people that. I have also had parents tell teachers to feed me! I am thin, but :eek: thats a little disrespectful.

However, of my kids the other day told me I was 96.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2008

My partner teacher was talking to her class about fire safety and that only adults over 18 were allowed to use matches. Her kids asked her if she was over 18, and she said yes. Then, she said, is Mrs. Peachyness old enough to use matches? And one of her kids, seriously said, yes, she is 41. Kinders always think I'm WAY older than I am. :D

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2008

I agree.

I use to hate this, but now that I'm in my 30's I LOVE comments like these.:cool: