You know you've thought about school too much when...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hojalata, Jul 12, 2008.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Jul 12, 2008

your dreams are about the book tubs you just bought. They weren't strong enough and the tall books kept tipping them over backwards. Every time I went and tipped a book basket right side up again, it would fall right over. And it was like a domino effect. My library was a disaster. Uhg, it was a nightmare-- I woke up in a panic!

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 12, 2008

I know those dreams....

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

So do I. I have a recurring dream that I am not ready for the first day of school and not know which room is mine or what grade I'm teaching. UGH!

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 12, 2008

Mine was always being late. When I was a sub I would dream about that & then when I had my own class.

6. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2008

I've had the same dream twice- the kids come in for orientation (just a 1-hr thing before school starts) and I have nothing ready for them. Their desks are all in disarray, I have no books or activities planned for them, and I'm in such a panic that I can't think straight. The parents are all looking at me like I'm an idiot and begin pulling their kids out of the room.

Luckily, this hasn't happened and only pushes me to be super-over-prepared. :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2008

I dreamt that I had to rescue our K teacher from something. Don't remember what.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 12, 2008

I am teaching preschool for them summer and at first was feeling like it would be so much easier... but then I started having the regular nightmares I have during the year, only about the preschoolers and their parents... it never ends, does it?

9. Daisha

Daisha Companion

Jul 13, 2008

The dreams have already started for me, too. I have dreamed that I can't get to school on the first day, because there is construction all over the place, then my cell phone doesn't work to call the school, and I spend the first day driving around and not getting there.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2008

I dreamed everyone had to ride a bicycle to school, teachers included. We all showed up dressed professionally, wind-blown, hair all over the place, and SWEATY! Then there wasn't even parking places for all the bikes so some of the kids had to bring their bikes in the classroom. It was just terrible. I'm glad it was a dream. I guess if Freud analyzed it, he'd say, "You think to much about school & gas prices!:

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

I dreamed two different nights about file folders. My life is so interesting.

12. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 13, 2008

I had a nightmare that I had a horrible time at the new school that I am going to next year. I dreamt that the parents and staff hated me and I had to worst class in the school. Hopefully it will be the complete opposite this year.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2008

Dreams usually start for me in August. It's always the same batch: show up late, can't get to work so I walk but am in pajamas and have an unruly class that for the life of me, will not listen to a thing I say,

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 13, 2008

I've had one semi-nightmare about school this summer, but don't remember it. Thank goodness.

I've had several in the past where I haven't been prepared for the first day of school.

15. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 13, 2008

I had a dream that the woman who worked as an aide in my classroom totally turned her head away from me when I said hi to her on the first day of school. My stomache dropped and now I am worried about it. It was just a dream! I can't seem to convince myself.

16. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I have several of these dreams...but the worst one is when a student from my first year teaching, (that hated me, and once threw a clipboard at me), shows up at school the first day, and starts teaching my class...like I am not even there...I try to talk and the students will only listen to him. Then, when I try to leave the room to go get the principal...he starts throwing clipboards at me....I always wake up panicked, and relieved that it is only a dream.
    :blush:

17. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

It's funny but I never in a million years would have thought any of my teachers (even through high school) would have had nightmares. I wonder how common it really is and if that means teachers put way too much emotion, thought, etc into our job. ...Or do all professionals have nightmares about work?

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

That is a good question. Maybe high energy jobs that take quite a bit of emotional connections.... But I could also see having nightmares if I worked at Wal-Mart.

19. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

... or at a fast food restaurant. LOL

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 14, 2008

I had my first official one last night. It was the first day and the kids started coming in - I had no class list or anything and all these parents were standing around in the room. They started moving the tables around so they could change seats and I was like "I put it this way for a reason". Also I had all these pocket charts and those pull-down screens everywhere-there was storage in the rafters-it was like I was teaching in the attic of the school. Very strange.

Last year I had a dream I was giving all 3 Pre-K classes at our school (including the bilingual class) standardized test in the auditorium- now that was a nightmare!