you know its the end of the year when.....

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by mommaruthie, May 14, 2003.

1. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 14, 2003

....the pants you bought at the beginning of the year has chaffing holes wearing thru.

....You start booking your summer reservations to get the cheeper rate

You come up with the ending and please try to be funny- end of year gets me 'down' so need to LIGHTEN up.

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 14, 2003

the new words or word wall become a fire hazard

Your bulletin boards back drops are faded pale!

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 14, 2003

... you can't remember the last time you let a kid ask an entire question that begins with, "Ms. ___, can I...". The answer is either YES or NO and it really doesn't matter which.

... you're trying to teach math three times a day to make sure you can finish the curriculum on time.

... your bulletin boards still have spring flower themes (or maybe even snowflakes) because who feels like changing them now?

... it takes ten minutes to grade the entire class' homework because you are assigning so little these days.

... you wonder how you got through an entire year with your annoying co-workers (even though you will miss their company over the summer)

... you brainstorm ways to distribute math manipulatives outside because it's just too pretty to be indoors.

... you ponder organizing a trip to the local amusement park to explore "the properties of water and condensation".

5. Guest

Guest Guest

May 14, 2003

.....when you end directions with "we should know this by now..its been a rule since day 1"

.....when u just feel like watchng a movie or giving the kids extra recess.

.......when you can hardly resist the urge to rip evertying that you have been looking at sicne September and start fresh!

........when you are spending prep time figuring out how to rearange the room for next year!

.............when you look back throught the kids portolios and realize how much they have learend this year!

.............when the first 20 numbers on your days of school number line are no longer black and hot pink, but grey and pale peach!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2003

...when all the teacher are asking me (a sub) if I'm busy this day or that day to take a day off before the end of the year. {It is comforting when they look extremely disappointed that I'm already scheduled}:rolleyes:

7. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

May 15, 2003

...the kids actually know (and follow) the routine!

8. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 15, 2003

... the kids actually know the routine (and don't follow it!) ;)

... you are constantly referring to them as almost ___ graders, and how they should act like it

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 16, 2003

...when you sub and ask where something is and all of a sudden they have no memory of it.

Ditto on Amanda's!!!!

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 16, 2003

... When the section of the whiteboard reserved for VCR and computer room sign-ups is full!!

11. Guest

Guest Guest

May 16, 2003

...when your *good* kids are in time out ;)

...when every morning or afternoon is taken up by a conference, home-visit or IEP/Placement meeting <sigh>.

12. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 16, 2003

OMG, Unregistered, you MUST be my twin! (.....when you end directions with "we should know this by now..its been a rule since day 1 .....when u just feel like watchng a movie or giving the kids extra recess.......when you can hardly resist the urge to rip evertying that you have been looking at sicne September and start fresh! ........when you are spending prep time figuring out how to rearange the room for next year!)

All I can think about is NEXT YEAR, a clean start. My take on that first one is:

... "We've been in school for NINE MONTHS now and you're telling me that you don't know where we keep the tissues?"

Yes, those words actually came out of my mouth today, LOL.
    :D

13. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 16, 2003

....you feel like if you have to sing the same calendar songs one more day, you might just scream.

.....you notice your walls becoming more and more bare each day as you slowly take things down so the kids won't notice

....you start being very reluctant to hand out new glue sticks because you are not sure there are enough to last until the end of the year.

....all the pencils in your pencil basket have no erasers.

....the kids crayons are about the size of your fingernail.

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 16, 2003

... teachers are dragging around sleepish
    .... the administration is begging you to let them observe you because they hadnt done the mandatory observations
    .... You throw out the dry erase markers that were faded and just getting by
    ....There is no more room in spriral notebook
    .... The workbook pull outs have been pulled and the puny cover sits on the shelf with the last remaining chapters
    ..... You have run out of stories from the literature series
    ....The school has no budget remaining for making any purchases
    .... Your white out disappears because no office supplies are available
    .... non educational videos are being shown. (get this one: because hunch back of notredame takes place in France, the teacher said thats why she is showing the movie because we are studying Europe!)

15. Guest

Guest Guest

May 16, 2003

Hi AngelaS. ...its your "twin" I know the feeling....jsut today the teacher next door and i were sitting on her morning meeting rug takling about different ways to do things....

I had a kid yesterday not know what to do when he finished his test....(after every test, they are to flip it over and draw...keeps them quite and busy while others finish) this kid just sat there for a good 10 min without a clue that he was not doing the wrong thing!! ugggggggggg WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN FOR THE PAST NINE MONTHS!!!!!

I cant wait for june 20th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

May 16, 2003

...in order to get all the end of the year assessments done, you put in a video

...you've already watched all the good educational videos from the library

...you need a video so bad you start doing re-runs

...the kids start bringing videos from home

(They bring cartoons... I always say that we only watch educational videos at school... A boy brought "The Prince of Egypt" today, and I told him we would only watch videos we could learn something from, and that it wasn't a learning video... He responded with, "Yes it is! You can learn about God!" :D )

17. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 18, 2003

... you are hesitant to create any new centers, charts, worksheets, etc. unless you're SURE you can use them next year.

... every time you pass a co-worker inthe hallway, they roll their eyes and ask, "How many more days?!"

... it's too hot not to open the windows in the classroom but there's too much pollen to do it.

... all school supplies are being carefully rationed to make sure they last "until June".

... you don't recognize your class from a distance because they have gotten so tall.

... the kids in the grade below you are looking the kids you started the year with.

... you find yourself scanning the group of kids in the grade below you and start praying that next year you don't get the one crawling under his desk or the one whose mom 'observes' him in class everyday.

... you can't wait until the pool opens so you can grade papers while getting a tan.

... the kids are asking you every five minutes if they can have a drink of water.

... you start making a written, as opposed to your ongoing mental, list of things you will NOT do the same next year (why oh why did I create that rule that they have to ASK to use the bathroom? They're driving me nuts!).

... you're so ready for a break that you've not yet realized how bittersweet the end of the year really will be- you never know who you're gonna get in the fall or how many of them.:cool:

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 20, 2003

...as a sub a student asks "Are you going to sub for us again?" And I tell them not this year.

...thankful that I have sub dates already scheduled until the end of the year so I don't get 5:30 am calls "Are you busy today?"

19. Margo

Margo Devotee

May 20, 2003

....you text message your husband at work "3 more days". Yup, I did that today. Pretty desperate, huh???

20. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 21, 2003

When movie time gets earlier and earlier--8:00 a.m. yesterday.

21. chalkdust

chalkdust Rookie

Jun 1, 2003

...when you start eyeballing the kids(and parent volunteers) who may be in your class next year :eek:
    ...when your students finish your sentences for you :rolleyes:
    ...when you start letting the students call home, whether they are really sick or not!:)
    ...when you start making changes in the school supply list for next year.:D
    ...when you start looking at your new teacher manuals during your "free time":confused:

22. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 1, 2003

...when you realize the St. Patrick's Day decorations are still up and you really don't care.

...you watch the class below yours (the ones you'll have next year) running and hiding under tables during class time and think "oh my God".

...when your lesson plans consist of "lets read a book together"

...when your kids are still leaving the caps off the markers, the glue sticks open, and have lost more dry erase markers than you can count, and you seriously don't care.

...when nap time becomes more of a containment issue and less a restful 45 minutes!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2003

...when you are a sub going for an interview and looking at the students in the grade to see which ones you may have (just like many of the other ones listed).

...when students know there are teacher opening and asking you, a sub, if you're going to be a teacher (already certified). They want to know so they can have mom or dad put in a request.

24. Guest

Guest Guest

Jun 2, 2003

We have a marble jar. I add a marble for getting all homework in, behaving in the halls or at an assembly, or compliments from other teachers. When the jar is filled, we have a marble party (snacks and a movie). I know it's the end of school when I'm trying to help them earn that last marble party by adding marbles for silly things like everyone having two ears or having a pencil. ('cause we sure aren't earning them any other way!!!)

25. cowboy02

cowboy02 Rookie

Jun 8, 2003

When you are ready to send them home and you say get your mail, get your backpack, and yadi yadi yadi, you know what to do!