You Just Have To Laugh

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 11, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 11, 2012

This basically sums up the year for me so far. Let me preface this by saying this is the last week in our 1st 9 week grading period. We get an e-mail today saying the early childhood report cards are being revamped. They should be online by next week. :eek: Don't enter any grades in the existing format, because it will change. *sigh* Of course, the one time I'm ahead of the game and have about 1/2 the class done already.

Granted, our grading system is numerical and not percentages. It's not like the upper grades where you are entering grades all semester. But still!-- we do have over 100 objectives to go through and label the level of mastery for each student. The week before and they're going to change the format? Not to mention, we didn't even know they were going to change or how they'll change. We've been assessing the way we always do. I even showed my parents an example of what we always use at the Open House.

You gotta love it! :rolleyes:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

Grrrrrr.:mad:

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2012

That's awful!!!! Good luck with it all!

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 11, 2012

Wow, so irritating. Good for you to get ahead, sorry it didn't work out this time. Good luck with getting everything done.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2012

We are in the same boat. Right now we are working on changing everything over to common core and our "finalized" report card was just posted today. I'm sure that it will have to change before the end of our grading period.

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Oct 11, 2012

Two weeks ago the attendance clerk at my school sent me an email that began with "I am very sorry"...........seems the State Dept of Ed. wants report cards on ALL children including my K-3 Special Needs Self-Contained children!

8. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Oct 11, 2012

Ugh...why do they do that??

Last week admin let us know that they want "volunteers" to help come up with all new K-6 report cards...by December to use for January.

REALLY??

9. Marylander

Marylander Rookie

Oct 12, 2012

We all feel your pain! And they wonder why teachers get so frustrated.

My school system is transitioning to Common Core, and we're in the first year with a new superintendent. Changes that were instituted in August have now gone by the wayside, and everything we did with long range planning in reading is now obsolete. Our transition math curriculum (supposedly written by experts in the field) is being handed to us well AFTER we've started teaching the units. We labored to compose our annual professional goals using the standards presented at the beginning of the year. Now they have to be redone because someone on Mount Olympus changed his mind. Sigh.

In my many years in the classroom I've seen change after change, but this is insane. Again, they wonder why teachers are frustrated. I think we in the classrooms understand a key part of that not-so-cryptic puzzle.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 12, 2012

That is rough! I guess I am lucky I don't have to do report cards for my special ed students. It would be a nightmare I'm sure! We just have to report once a month on their IEP goals. Just that takes forever. I can't imagine reporting on every subject especially when they are so low academically.

11. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Oct 12, 2012

We're still waiting to find out what our report card is organized and what it will look like. They asked for questions or concerns about the new card but it's hard to ask about something you haven't seen.
    We've been told we get to view them the day before we have to work on them. No stress there.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 12, 2012

I wish my district WOULD change our grading system/report cards (of course, I would prefer it over the summer :) ). We in pre-k, K, and 1st are already moved to CCSS (no transition for us), and the other grades are transitioning, to be implemented over the next 2 years. Our grading system (WPAMS) still has the OLD GLE's and Comprehensive Curriculum, but I'm supposed to be evaluating my students using the CCSS, and the two do not match up. Makes for some interesting assignment listings.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 12, 2012

Wow, how frustrating!

Our district, on the other hand, is basically having 2 report cards this year. We are using the old report cards and benchmarks, but there is also a "cover letter" where we can add grades for the CCSS. However, we don't have assessments or rubrics for the new standards yet. They told us that we are supposed to teach to common core, but we can assess and grade "whatever we want."

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 13, 2012

I can't believe so many are dealing with the same issue. We don't even subscribe to common core, so I'm still wondering what the reasoning is behind the change. I guess maybe we'll see when we actually see the cards. ;) It just seems like such an important document to changing last-minute.