you guys are so booo-rinnnnng :)

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by FourSquare, Aug 5, 2012.

1. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

:woot:

I think my colleagues are going to think I'm insane. I've done my room up in a color scheme with tons of bean bags, lamps, picture frames, etc. I come from 3rd grade, so I am used to "doing too much" in classroom style. I walked around my junior high yesterday and NOBODY did all that. Don't get me wrong....the rooms were very clean and well organized, but what a snore. :lol: Is this just how it's done with the big kids? I bet they ship me back to intermediate next year! :blush:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2012

I bet it looks great and the kids will appreciate it. :)

I've seen a mix in middle school...some rooms are lovely, some are not quite "lovely" but clean and organized, and some are just complete disasters.

4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 5, 2012

I never had a ms or hs teacher that decorated the room. As long as it doesn't look babyish, I would have appreciated it.

5. courtney

courtney Rookie

Aug 5, 2012

I'm with the OP on this..if they HAVE decorated it at all, it's like primary colors/polka dots/baby animals in baskets. BLAAAAH! I finally gave up and ordered some decor online that I hope my 7th graders appreciate a bit more..we have awesome rooms (big banks of windows to the hall and others open to the courtyard) but it seems like it's polka-dots or nothing! I remember 7th grade being the year that I got to choose the decor for my own bedroom; that was when I really started developing my own personal style, so I'm just going to extend that interest into my own classroom..good luck!

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

I think middle school kids will appreciate the effort and since you spend so much time in the room, why not enjoy it!

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

I will be in the same boat this year.

8. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I feel the same way. I am coming from a K-8 school, where it was pretty normal to fancy up your classroom (although nobody had a specific theme). Now I'm in a 6-8 middle school and I did sort of make a theme/color coordinate, since I thought it'd be fun to try. I do have a reading corner w/ bean bags and do plan to bring in some lamps and do whatever to make it cozy. The custodian came in when I was working and commented on how nice my room looked and it was great seeing a room that was a happy place to be. I feel a little crazy when other teachers come in my room and see that most things sort of match when it's not normal in the school to have that.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2012

In my county, it's not an issue of MS/HS teachers having a "boring" classroom. It's what we're allowed by admin and the fire marshal.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I think that the kids will love it!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2012

I think you'll be fine. There's a teacher in our district who teaches 7th/8th grade....she has one wall that she painted hot pink.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 5, 2012

At the very least I'll love it. My room is in a far off corridor and tiny enough as it is....if I left it how I found it I'd feel like a prisoner! I can't work in sad spaces.

I'm not nearly done, but I will post pics when it's all ready for kids. I would love to see some of your spaces too! (Boooring or not. ;))

13. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 5, 2012

I think it's great, why shouldn't MS & HS classrooms be fun and appealing instead of boring, sterile...who wants to be in that kind of environment every day? Hopefully the others will see the children's positive response and work on their own rooms a bit. :)

14. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Aug 5, 2012

I remember when I was in MS and the rooms were always decorated. HS on the other hand was about half and half.

15. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 5, 2012

Well, if you have the money to splurge , then go for it.

Personally, I hate clutter - just the basics (student work, posters, class rules, bookshelf)

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 6, 2012

I don't have an elementary bone in my body, but I still like my room organized and decorated. Always have. I never had my own classroom at the high school level, so I never got the opportunity, but I'd have decorated if I'd had a room!

I don't like clutter, though. Some elementary rooms literally make me feel like I can't breathe for all of the stuff in the way!

Most people in my building either decorate or at least keep things neat and organized.

17. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 6, 2012

The kids will like it. Be prepared though for the negative nellies who poo poo your efforts. ;) Your room reflects your personality and you make it a place you would want to be. My one room is done in all blue (including curtains and baskets). My other is lime green & purple (including curtains and baskets). I also have a fish in one and toads in another. My 7th grade boys got the biggest kick out of seeing the toads eat crickets. I think it is important to do whatever it takes to make our classrooms places students want to be! :)

18. Mdsilva

Mdsilva New Member

Aug 29, 2012

I am there with you! My room is the Dot and paisley on turquoise theme from Creative teaching press. It has to be lively and fun but also not babyish. Parents and students really do appreciate it. :)

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 29, 2012

I think it's great to decorate a room to make it cozy. If you can find the line between cute, cozy and too elementary, it'll be great. Your description sounds like it's great for middle schoolers!

When I got my classroom last year in 'jail' setting i definitely wanted to make it cute and not feel like it's prison, even though it was. All the classrooms were boring, not much on the walls, most things were tagged up and a lot of the rooms really stink. (most teachers have been teaching in the same room for many years, I can't believe they never got tired of it)
    I put up a lot of motivational quotes, all the important and necessary things we needed, and even silk flowers in the window, season appropriate stickers, etc. Even though they were boys, I didn't care, I made it girly, but didn't go overboard.
    And I made it smell nice, that was a big deal for them.
    The P commented on it in a meeting that the room was cozy, inviting, someplace that's more pleasant, and better for learning.
    And it didn't cost me a lot, maybe $25!

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2012

I am not a fan of decorating my room with alot of stuff and I am teaching 6 & 7 grade this year.

Since I have no tables in my room, I push 2 to 3 desks together and cover them in a flat sheet to add some color. Outside of the necessary stuff (the signout book, my studet work binders, tissues, lotion/hand sanitizer, and a tray with notebook paper); I don't have anything else on my "tables." I have a few posters on the walls but they are quotes and I hang up t-shirts from the colleges I graduated from. I am not a fan with alot of stuff in the room becuase it reminds me of ELEM classrooms.

21. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Sep 8, 2012

I bet the kids will love it! My 7th graders are totally into things like bean bags and cool classroom decor. I've got my room done up in bright colors and such and student work is ALL over the room. I've also got a library with indoor plants and book posters everywhere. As much as middle school kids try to act like they are older, they are still babies at heart.

22. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 8, 2012

Obviously they HATE the rug. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

:lol:

23. pvcpa

pvcpa Rookie

Sep 18, 2012

I encourage teachers to decorate their room and allocate a budget (albeit small) to aid in the task. In a past school we made it competitive and awarded a small prize to the nicest classroom, voted on by staff and students.

The learning environment must be inviting. I have found that the room's decor normally matches the teacher's personality (sorry). Moreover, if I am stuck in the room for seven hours I should enjoy it.