You get a "100" if your parent attends teacher/parent conference!

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by englady8, Oct 23, 2012.

1. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Oct 23, 2012

One of my co-workers told the students she would give them a
    "100" for their parents showing up to parent-teacher conference. Now my students want to know if I will do the same. I told them that was not my policy. I understand the teacher trying to encourage the students to get their parents to show up; however, I understand not all parents are able to attend. What's your thoughts on whether they should get a grade?

3. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 24, 2012

I think that's ridiculous. Some parents work 2 to 3 jobs and can't show up and some don't care to show up. It's not fair to reward the students for something the parents did.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

It's absolutely wrong and unfair.

Not only is one person getting penalized/rewarded for the actions of another, but it's putting the parents into an impossible position.

How do you say to your child "I'm sorry honey, but your grade isn't going to be as high as Tommy's because I have to work??"

And it gives an academic grade for something that has nothing to do with academics.

What a horrible message to send kids.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

I don't agree at all. In fact, if my children's teachers had had this policy, they wouldn't have done well. After I went back to work when Alex was in grade 5, I wasn't able to attend scheduled conferences--I was at my school, meeting with the parents of my students.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2012

I definitely wouldn't enforce this policy. You may encourage parents to come in other ways (bake something special) or had out 'I attended conference' stickers or some other method. But I wouldn't tie the parents attendance to their child's grade.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 24, 2012

I don't think it's a good idea, though I doubt it will do any permanent damage to anyone. What I'm guessing is that your coworker is hoping to motivate low-achievers with this reward because he/she probably wants to talk to their parents especially. I know where I work, struggling students still wouldn't show up to conference night, and I'd be giving out 100's to students who didn't need them anyway. Regardless, this policy doesn't make any sense. If I wanted to speak with a parent that badly, I'd pick up the phone.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 24, 2012

I don't think this will encourage parents to attend and the kids getting 100 will probably be the ones who have good grades to start with. Perhaps if teachers promise 100 they could rephrase it to say attend conference OR have a phone conference with teacher?

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2012

I definitely gave out extra credit for coming. But it didn't have to be a parent, just someone who was over 18 and related to the student. I got tons more parents than the other classes.

10. englady8

englady8 Rookie

Oct 24, 2012

Thanks everyone for your response. We've certainly had more parents show up this time. As thirdgradebuzz said, when I really need to speak to a parent, I simply just call them.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 24, 2012

My kids when they were in high school have earned extra credit, bonus bucks or some other incentive for my appearance at conferences.

Did it influence whether or not I was going to go to conferences? No. And to be honest, it wasn't enough to help their grades. But I imagine if someone was on the border between 2 grades 5 points might be enough to raise their grade.

12. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Oct 25, 2012

The only thing I do that ties grades to conferences is that the parents that attend don't have to sign a progress report, since I am giving it directly to them. The ones that don't attend, the progress report goes home with the students and I require it to be signed. It's a 1-point assignment -- not even enough to really change the grade at all.

13. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 27, 2012

Hmm...Let me get this right. "Parents, if you show up for conferences, instead of telling you how your child is doing, I will instead give you an untrue score by adding points to your child's grade that he/she didn't earn!" This is an abuse of power by the teacher. Not only would I not do it, but I would complain to the P that this turns grading into a joke.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2012

I would report this.

15. Teachforlife

Teachforlife Rookie

Oct 28, 2012

Ha! One of my coworkers gives points on tests for bringing in tissues and hand sanitizer. I DO NOT! I had a student pitch a fit because of it, to the point that I told her to give the tissue and sanitizer to the other teacher.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 28, 2012

I've known teachers to give a "100" to students for getting a progress report or report card signed and returned. The idea was to provide extra incentive for the student's to their grades to the parents and receive the parent's acknowledgment.

The students that did not get the required signature were not penalized, because the grade didn't count against their overall average. Those that did get the signature just had an extra 100 added to their grades, which also had little to no real affect on their overall average.

I've tried this method myself, but haven't seen much success with it. The ones that do comply are the ones that generally don't need the extra grade. The ones that could really use an extra 100 usually don't put any more effort into this than they do their regular assignments. At least, that's been my experience.