You did great but, we had to go with someone with more experience...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ShellBell1029, Oct 27, 2009.

1. ShellBell1029

ShellBell1029 New Member

Oct 27, 2009

This is the 3rd time I've heard this after an interview. All my feedback is great, I interview well, but they choose someone with more experience. So how do I get said experience if no one will give me a chance? I'm just discouraged today...

3. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

I've had interviews like that and I have 10 years experience. I'm still seeking a job.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 27, 2009

Shell, you will hear that comment even if you have 30 years of experience, wrote the textbook, and have a letter of recommendation from the Pres of the US.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2009

I'm sorry, Shell.

6. KateL

KateL Habitué

Oct 28, 2009

That's really all they can tell you, even if it's not true. Anything else (e.g., we hired the superintendent's niece instead) might get them sued.

Do you actually call the interviewers and ask for feedback? I don't think I'd have the guts to do that.

7. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Oct 28, 2009

I've heard that same thing many times...in fact, just last week I heard it again :p

I actually have tried to contact the interviewers for feedback (esp. if they have offered) - usually, I never can get in contact with them. I leave voicemails, but no answer back. I actually did get feedback once from an AP - he said the interview went very well, I was very qualified, made a strong impression, but....they went with someone who had more experience :woot:

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2009

I think many times, this phrase is a fallback when they've hired someone who knew the right person/people.

9. ShellBell1029

ShellBell1029 New Member

Oct 29, 2009

Well, my first 2 interviews I got personal phone calls from the principals who interviewed me and was given lots of feedback. The first one, I even had a second interview where I taught an hour-long ELA lesson. They both told me to keep updating my application for when something else opens up, and that they really liked me. One principal even apologized that he didn't have 2 openings so he could hire me...but still haven't gotten another interview at that school. This last interview I did know all the right people, which is what really stinks. But I found out there were some part-time teachers who had been with the district already who wanted the full-time job, and so they hired them...naturally.
    I actually feel lucky that I am even getting interviews at this point, and if what they are telling me is true, then something will come along for me eventually. I have to keep hoping, what else can I do?

10. Simba

Simba Comrade

Oct 29, 2009

Sounds like you're doing everything you can!!

Good Luck!

11. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

You got to remember thier job relies on selecting the person who best fits with the criteria they have to work with. So all you can really do is use thier feedback to positively reinforce what you are doing and keep doing that until something falls through.