You can't pass the class if you don't do any work...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Sshintaku, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 27, 2010

Depending on just when their birthday is, a student who turns 16 in their 8th grade year, may not be allowed to complete their senior year due to their age alone

2. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 27, 2010

:lol: If I had a dollar for every time I've said that!

3. hac711

hac711 Companion

Apr 27, 2010

to cat
    what total chutzpah!
    I would tell her don't even bother...A student calls you by your first name?? Where do you teach?? Bryn Mawr??

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2010

Nah, I'm at an online school where my emails go out with my first name but I sign everything as Mrs. Fiddle. My cousin graduated from Bryn Mawr, albeit years ago, but I can't imagine her being even borderline disrespectful when there's a grade in the balance.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 27, 2010

Tell them when they get to college, they'll get teachers like me. I can't tell you the number of times I've had the following conversation.

Student: I don't know what to do! I HAVE to pass this class. If I don't pass this class, I'll lose my financial aid/parents will stop paying/ect.

Me: I'm sorry, but I can't give you a passing grade. The syllabus clearly states my expectations, and you failed to turn in the required work and you did no obtain passing scores on exams.

Student: Is there anything I can do? Can I do some extra credit or something?

Me: No. I'm sorry, but the expectations were clear. You failed to meet even the minimum standards. You will not pass this class.

Student (crying now): Are you sure? Is there anything I can do? This is going to ruin my life!

Me (exasperated): Oh, I have a great idea! Take it next term, and next time, do your work.

Usually this conversation happened during finals week.

6. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

I am also amazed at how many students will have the nerve to ask me for extra credit 3 days before the end of the term/semester. I figure I offer plenty of opportunities for extra credit during the year, and they didn't take those opportunities so they are out of luck. They just don't like my EC because they are "hard" logic type assignments. It galls me that they expect easy word searches for about 50 points of EC when they did no work during the year.

Also a favorite: "I know it's the end of the quarter, but can I turn in this that was due 9 weeks ago and get some points for it?" Ummm..NO!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

I'm accepting work even from last quarter until May 21st. At this point, I'm begging students individually to hand in enough for me to pass them. Thankfully, many of them are taking me up on this offer and are putting in a sincere effort. They pale in comparison to those who have already finished all of the coursework a month early, but I'll take them!

8. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 28, 2010

LOL - I love that answer! It really is that simple - do the work when it's due and there's a good chance you'll pass. :thumb:

During my undergrad years, I worked in the Econ/Finance office for my work study. The secretary had a sign hanging by the door for everyone to see when they came in...

"Lack of planning on your part does not make it an emergency on my part."

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 28, 2010

Or, as my father always said: "Never forget the 7 P's. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Pi** Poor Performance".

10. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 28, 2010

This exact quote is on the laminating machine at my school.

11. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Apr 28, 2010

Middle school kids are "socially" promoted if they hit 16. translation- the middle school does not have student parking.

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 28, 2010

What? I have to actually do WORK to pass a class? What is this AP American History?

13. MaestraEspanola

MaestraEspanola New Member

May 4, 2010

I'm glad I'm not alone in this, even though I'm sorry others are having the same problems. I have been feeling so frustrated lately myself as a Spanish teacher. I also teach freshman, and I rarely leave my work feeling happy with my students. The majority just do not care and will admit to me that their other classes come first because Spanish is an elective. Many have dug themselves in such a hole that there's no way they will pass my class, and it's all due to not turning in work. I'm debating how to handle this situation next year; if I should just make my class all test/quiz/project based in-class, but then I feel that doesn't teach them responsibility or individual ownership. I'm teaching Spanish 2 and 3 next year, so I'm hoping things will be different, but I don't know.
    It's only my second year of teaching,and I'm feeling frustrated already with the attitude and laziness of these kids! How do you deal with it?

14. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

May 4, 2010

I have a friend who is a Spanish teacher, and he says the difference between Span 1 and the upper levels is a HUGE difference. Maybe next year will be better for you.

My kids also have a big "homework problem." My solution is that I give homework once or twice a week (usually pass out on Monday, collect on Friday). This way, if they don't do homework it doesn't automatically dig their grave, but it will substantially lower their grade (IE. you can't get an A by just doing in-class things.)

15. MaestraEspanola

MaestraEspanola New Member

May 4, 2010

That's some uplifting news; thanks!

I've thought about doing the giving out homework on Monday and having it due Friday next year. I think that might help.

Thanks!