You asked the teacher WHAT?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by each1teach1, Jul 19, 2008.

1. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

So here's another "other thread" inspired question. A poster was saying that an interviewer asked her what she would do if a controversial question came up during class (abortion, religion, politics, etc.) Well that reminded me of some of the random questions my students asked me while I student taught. Some where tame (How old are you?) Others were just curious students being nosy (Would you date a Mexican? [Because I speak Spanish, but am not Hispanic]) But the one that took the cake was one of my Spanish 3 kids. I was teaching about baroque art in Hispanic culture and one of my kids out of nowhere asks:

"Ms. Each1Teach1, can you get AIDS if you get semen in your eye?"

Immediately, I go "What?! :eek:" partly because it was such an out there question and partly because my mind was on baroque art. So I respond "Umm...Well I guess it would be possible since AIDS is transmitted via body fluids, but I'm not positive since I'm a Spanish teacher not a sexual health professional. After the lesson I could write you a pass to the nurse, if you'd like."

Turns out the student had watched an episode of CSI where a man had shot another man and as a result the shooter got blood in his eye and contracted AIDS which is how he got caught. Still not sure how semen got worked in to the question, but I'm sure I don't want to know either. :unsure:

So has a student totally caught you off guard with a cute, questionable, irrelevant question? How did you handle it?

3. Budaka

Budaka Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

High school students love to do that. Part of the time they may really have a question on their mind, but the truth of the matter is they are just trying to get you off subject. Although, as a Spanish teacher myself I would have your art lecture! I think you gave a good answer, but I would make it even shorter. Sometimes just a good "that is not appropriate question at this time" will suffice. Students can be mean and manipulative and will only half listen. Then the child who is getting an F in your class will use it as justification for their grade-well all my Spanish teacher does is talk about semen.
    I know this for a fact. I once had a girl tell her mother that I talked about being drunk in class when what I really said was I have never been drunk in my life when someone asked me if I had ever been drunk. And all this because the girl got a B which she thought she deserved an A. She also told her mother that I taught her poker when I actually taught them a very innocent Mexican card game!

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I have kids who say words wrong- or who use them incorrectly. I end up having to decode what they are trying to say. Last year I had a boy who was going to speech because he spoke so quickly & kind of mumbled. At first, I had to have him repeat everything 2-4 times- but by the end of the year I could understand him.

I always have kids try & ask me questions when I teach my reproduction unit. I tell them to go home & ask. (Like last year when someone asked if 2 boys could make a baby).

5. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

There needs to be a gag smily.

6. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

I taught life skills and ran to the bathroom while the kids were engrossed in an art activity with the para. When I returned, one of the girls gave me the fifth, sorta like I did to them when they were toilet-training: "Did you potty? Did you wipe? Did you flush? Did you wash hands? Let me feel your hands." :lol:

Another student came up, sat on my lap and patted my shoulders. "Do you have your bra on? Let me see." No idea where that came from, since it was k-1 class. :)

7. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 19, 2008

When I was reading a story about first loves, one of my 8th graders (this was my first year teaching) asked me if I'd ever been in love. I said that that was a personal question but yes, I did love someone. And then she said

"ARE YOU A VIRGIN?"

So embarassing. The whole class starting giggling uncomfortably and I told everyone they could close their books and have 5 minutes of free time. Didn't know what else to do!

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I think what we have here are some very naughty middle and high school students who think they can get away with saying something inappropriate in class by making it a question for the teacher. After all, we tell them to ask questions all the time. Don't we?

That's why I like first grade. Most personal questions are in the range of "Do you have a dog?" "Do you like to play soccer?" "Have you ever been to Disneyland" etc.

Once a child did ask me where babies came from. To which I replied "We don't cover that in first grade. You need to ask your second grade teacher that question."

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

Well, I have young kids, and once a THIRD grader started asking about transexuals/transgender people. (There is something mentioned in the Guiness Book of World Records about a person in Brazil who had the "most" sex change operations- this included facial surgeries, liposuction, etc. Obviously one would not likely need more than one surgery down there. There was like, a large picture of her in a bikini or something like that and it was fascinating to some of the kids.)

I DID explain that some people are unhappy in the body they were born in and feel like they want to be the other gender, so there are surgeries that can be done to change ones gender.

(I tell parents at the beginning of the year that I DO NOT believe in "go ask your mother" when it comes to things like this because it is shaming, but I will answer questions in a developmentally appropriate way.)

Well, the next day, the child comes in and I hear him EXPLAINING in DETAIL how the operation works to the other children. Like the cuts and slices on the male part to turn it into a female part... uh, yeah...all the boys were grabbing them selves and screaming.

This is a why not to "ask your mother" obviously the parents did not understand DEVELOPMENTALLY appropriate and let him look online or something- or he was not being supervised and looked himself. Nothing happened to me as a result, but I did have to mention in my parent letter that it came up and parents could come talk to me if needed. Jeeze. That was about the worst example I can think of!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

See, for this one, I would say, "No. Two boys cannot make a baby, as you need a sperm from the male and an egg from the female. If two boys WANT to have a baby, they would have to adopt one, because it's not possible for them to make one." I think that would be a simple answer. But do you think the kid really wondered, or was he trying to see what you would say.

11. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

I once subbed in a middle school self contained special education classroom. While most of the students totally ignored me, there was one (he was 7th grade, over 200 pounds, and quite possibly over 6 feet tall) who was very intrigued with me (a new person in his room). He asked me all kinds of personal and very embarrassing questions, but I think the worst was, "Do you kiss boys with your tongue?"
    I just stared at him. Luckily, the aids came to my rescue and told him his questions were inappropriate to ask a visitor even though he was curious. I don't think he was trying to be inappropriate -- he was just asking me the questions that were on his mind.

12. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

We were all middle schoolers once. I think that before we label them 'naughty' we need to remember how we were. Whether we misbehaved or not, I'm sure all of us enjoyed even the thought of shocking adults. Times have changed and yes, kids are bolder, but they are just really seeing how far they can go which is a part of their normal development. I find that a calm assertive response works best without overreacting. They respect that.

13. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

Last year, there was a woman who had a sex change to a man, and had become pregnant.

In the middle of talking about food cycles a kid raised his hand and said "Miss, did you hear about the man who is having a baby? How can that happen?". I could tell he really wanted to know and wasn't trying to sidetrack me, but I taught in a rural, very religious community so I was afraid of what to say. I did tell him he needed to ask his mom, but I knew his mom and I knew she would give him an appropriate answer.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 19, 2008

Wow, some of these would make me want to crawl under the floor....

I was subbing for a 4th grade classroom once, and I was sitting with the kids at lunch. The boy sitting next to me asks me if I'd ever been to Hooters. I mumbled no, and told him to eat his fries. He says, "that place is weird. The girls there are too smily. And the food wasn't even that good."

Who's bringing their kid to HOOTERS?? :(

15. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

A few years ago I had a 4th grader who had his BIRTHDAY PARTY at Hooters. Amazing.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 19, 2008

The young kids are pretty funny - they will ask what my Mom packed me for lunch (because they apparently think you live with mom forever) and this summer I got a whole lecture from them on how I should get married so I can have kids of my own. They asked if I live by myself, who takes out the trash?

Once one of the Kinder kids asked me about evolution - not in so many words, but wondered if there were no people when there were dinosaurs - where did people come from? Wasn't quite sure how to break that down to a 5-year old; it had never come up before.

17. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

I have had students ask me if I go to church, believe in God, what religion I am etc. I realize it's not as shocking as some of the other questions students have asked you, but how do you handle this?

About Hooters...I too had a student who had his birthday party there and he had a shirt with all the girls signatures on it. He was SO proud of it. I didn't even know what to say....

18. jmevno

jmevno Rookie

Jul 19, 2008

I was pregnant last year. So I got the wear do babies come from question. I teach in a rural community where everyone has a mommy and a daddy and they all go to church. So I told them that God gives a baby to a mommy and a daddy. Well I was in the classroom up until the day before I delivered. So at the end of the day when I was explaining that I was going to the hospital to have the baby and that there would be a sub in the room until after Christmas, one child asks how does the baby get out? Another little boy stood up and said that I have to squeeze it out of my butt. :eek: I was in shock. I quickly explained that no that is not how it worked. I told them that the doctors go to school for a long time to learn how to get babies out. But for a kinder to get that close to even know how it works, I was in awe. What was his parents allowing him to watch?

19. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2008

I did have a little girl this year ask me if I was lonely because I don't have a husband or kids... I was taken aback by that because it IS sort of lonely sometimes.

My TA jumped in for me and told her I had lots of friends...

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 19, 2008

3rd year of teaching- Transgender individuals were mentioned by a student.

Last year- I had a statement that it doesn't matter if you are married when you have a child. This student stated that twice... and I ignored her, coming off with some statement about, "Someday I do plan on having a family with a dad and kids." I think they're humored that I'm approaching thirty (ouch!) and don't have children yet! :) LOL.

21. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

My first graders often why my wife and I do not have children. My response most often is that I'm afraid of babies.

22. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

My first year in 3rd grade we were studying the body and a boy asked, "Why is poop brown?" He still remembers asking me that question 8 years later (and so do his classmates). I said I wasn't sure, but could take an educated guess.

I also had a 2nd grade girl ask what a lesbian is (apparently she overheard it in a movie her much older brother was watching). I told her it was a kind of a woman, and called her mom to let her know she was asking. Figured I better give her some kind of straight up answer, or she'll be asking all the other kids who will in turn ask me or their parents.

Hooters for kids' birthday parties???? GROSS!

23. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

Haha...I like that answer. It reminds me of my eight year old cousin who is always trying to tell me stories that begin with "I remember when I was young...(followed by whatever outlandishness suits her purpose in that moment, "we used to walk on clouds". "my mom let me eat all the ice cream I wanted", "I had a pet dinosaur", etc. She's hilarious! )

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  24. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I taught 2nd before SpEd and while teaching about contractions, I had a lovely little child inform me that contractions are what make mommy's pee-pee place open up big enough for the baby to come out. I should have seen it coming, but it was my first year and I was still pretty green.
    That same year, a girl asked (very loudly) during silent reading, "Miss H, what's sex?" Luckily, I knew what she was reading and knew that they were talking sex in terms of gender - but if I hadn't already read that book, I can only imagine...

25. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Wow, those are some unbelieveable questions. I guess I am lucky none of my kids asked me questions like that. They did ask very random questions for fun, like how man blueberries in a blueberry pie, how many banannas in a bunch and things like that. I usually made up an answer that seemed reasonable and they were happy.

But you have to love the questions they come up with, atleast they are thinking!

26. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 19, 2008

When my son was 7 or 8, he'd try to do stuff he knew he wasn't supposed to and then tell me, "My shiny parents let me..."
    My sister is really into the paranormal and spend 18 months trying to convince me my son could see spirits:lol:

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

Middle schoolers are famous for asking embarassing and inappropriate questions. I've been asked all about my personal life (am I married, divorced, have a boyfried, etc), drinking, drugs, various sexual topic and the list goes on and on. Most of the time the questions are at a time when I can tell that they're just trying to sidetrack me and I simply tell them that this is not an apropriate question and move on. There were a few times during the year when I did cater to those questions, but they always followed extreme events. I was asked a lot of questions about drugs after one of our kids had to be airlifed out because of an overdose, questions about sex any time one of the girls turned up pregnant (yes, there were several girls that got pg, including one sixth grader), drinking and being drunk after a mother made a big scene in the hallway while drunk (that turned into a lecture about life choices and responsible drinking), and death and mortality after the murder of one of the student's older brother. I teach in the inner city, and I know that many of these questions won't get answered at home, so in these situations, I have no trouble answering them.

28. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

Wow, I feel very lucky and sheltered to be where I am. Those things just don't hapen here. I would go insane as a parent if I had to raise my kids in such an environment.

29. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2008

I think they were trying to be shocking. That is why I told them to talk with their parents about it.

30. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

Poverty and a lack of education are a vicious cycle. I don't live in this neighborhood and my own kids are quite sheltered, but I feel drawn to these kids. My proudest moment as a teacher was when a boy told me the reason he didn't give into pressure from his friends to shoplift was because he was afraid of dissapointing me. If I can help even one child escape this environment, then all the trouble is worth it.

Sorry for the hijack :D

31. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jul 19, 2008

That would be a moment to be proud of!

32. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

last year we were brainstorming "u" words for alliteration sentences and someone shouted "uranus." giggle broke out and a few didn't understand why the others were giggling. so i told them why the word was making others laugh. i said, "uranus is a planet in the sky. but people are laughing because anus is another word for your bootie...and it's yours...so..." they understood and it was dropped and LUCKILY no one mentioned it later (parents or students). whew. i couldn't believe i told them the joke. talk about a foot in mouth moment. yikes!

i totally believe in telling the kids the truth, but in an educational way. but with my story...i think i should've just dropped it! :eek:

LC

33. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

Wow, after reading this thread, I will NEVER complain again when someone asks if this is my real hair color (this shade of red does not occur naturally).

34. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

:) I just remembered another one....one of my migrant girls interrupted my read-aloud to ask, "Why you no sit, sexy?" It came out as saxy. I have no idea what she meant, but I told her it wasn't appropriate at school.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2008

I have two...

We were reading a short story about the creation of the gods, and it talked a lot about Uranus, one of the early, early gods. In EVERY SINGLE class that day, a student asked me, "So, Miss...everything came from Uranus?" And they were seriously asking the question, not realizing what it sounded like.

One student was asking another student a question about whether I had any pencils. In an almost-whisper, he asked his neighbor, "Do she have any pencils?" Another student overhead and said, "Did you just call that kid a douche?" And then a quiet, shy girl raised her hand and asked, "What's a douche?" I said that I'd explain it privately after class. A neighbor leaned over and told her what it was because she then exclaimed, "EEEW!" Hilarity ensued.

I know I'm supposed to be the mature grown-up, but it's honestly very difficult for me to keep from laughing during those sorts of things. At times, I think I have the mindset of a 14-year-old boy, with all the bathroom humor I laugh at.

36. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

You and me both...maybe that's why I have sons and not daughters....

37. lnewbigging

lnewbigging Companion

Jul 19, 2008

Lol as a second grade teacher I thank you for that!

38. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

I agree with you one hundred percent because I know some of the things I end up laughing at, I should be discouraging, but sometimes they catch you so off guard you're just like :lol: :unsure:

39. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 19, 2008

i laugh at things all the time...i can't help it. if i don't laugh, my job would REALLY get to me.

also, how do you keep from laughing when a kid farts?

40. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

I suppose I just don't find bodiliy functions funny. That's the kind of stuff that won't even get my attention. Usually a kid is either farting loudly to distract the class or it was an accident and is embarrased about it. In either case, it's not worth disrupting my classroom to even acknowledge it.

41. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 19, 2008

I had my class trying to brainstorm examples of hyperbole and a student said "Ms. H's glasses are so thick, she sees people waving when she looks at a map" and I lost it (I have glasses, but not thick) and laughed and laughed. The upside is that I now introduce hyperbole with "Yo' Mama" jokes, and they seem to get it.

I know that's WAY off the subject of this thread, but I had to hijack for just a second.