Yoga?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by John Lee, Jun 24, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 24, 2016

I know there are teachers here who do yoga! I'm considering a yoga workshop that I saw advertised at my chiro's office, about yoga and things you can do for your back/spine.

What potential do you think yoga has (if any) in fixing back/neck pain in individuals? I have been told that I have degenerative conditions in both my neck and back. I'm still able to do most/all that I've always done, but I'd like to get a good plan in terms of managing long-term. Could yoga be an answer?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 24, 2016

You would need to be VERY careful and make sure your instructor is fully aware of what your injury and limitations are. Rockhubby has a herniated disc in his neck, which is mostly being treated with rest and anti-inflamatories. He does yoga at least once a week through a wellness program at his office, using modifications agreed upon by him and his instructor.

creativemonster likes this.
  4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2016

I agree with cat. Be sure that your instructor is able to make appropriate modifications for you. When my daughter's back problems were flaring, her chiropractor gave her a lengthy list of activities to avoid--yoga was among them (as was lifting anything heavier than 5 pounds and vacuuming). Once she was pain-free, she was able to introduce yoga into her routine with the caution that certain poses need to be avoided.