yoga in classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Jun 8, 2009.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Jun 8, 2009

My 3rd grade students are really irritable and need strategies to calm. I have a few who break out in laughter for all reasons and cannot stop, or some who require practice almost every day coming into the classroom door and being quiet(er) and calm. I love their energy, but they are often inappropriate and rude.

Does anyone do yoga (not necessarily called that) in the classroom? I'm thinking breathing exercises and calming stretches to start the day or on transitions. Looking online, all I've really found is 'teacher training courses'....It would be great to a find printable resource. I do some yoga myself but am looking for more kid-friendly ideas. Anyone?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

4. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jun 9, 2009

Wish I could help you personally....

I don't do yoga in my classroom. However, I went to a teacher inservice where they talked about yoga in schools. They had a principal and a few teachers from a local school that used yoga throughout the school. The things they told us were amazing. This school was a lower income school where they had behavior problems and yoga calmed them down. The principal said behavior problems went down and the children loved it. I'm sure it's expensive to have a whole school training, but the results seemed amazing. I know there is a site called mindfulpracticeyoga.com that talks about yoga in classrooms. I don't think they have any free resources though.

:woot:Looking for a postcard exchange...join my 2nd year exchange in the Postcard Exchange forum!

5. sk8enscars311

sk8enscars311 Companion

Jun 9, 2009

Some people don't "believe" in doing yoga, so while the concept is cool, I'd definitely call it something else.

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 9, 2009

Doing any type of physical activity that allows the students to get more oxygen to the brain will help them wake up and focus. If I see that my kids are really tired or out of control, I'll have them stand up, stretch, do 15 jumping jacks, stretch again and then we can get back to work. :)

You may want to speak to your physical education teachers and ask if they'd like to add yoga to the games they play at school. One of our teachers here is actually a yoga instructor and she gave up one period she wasn't teaching to teach a gym class since the students were so interested.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie