Yoga balls instead of chairs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by HorseLover, May 13, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

May 13, 2013

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 13, 2013

I would love it. My biggest concern would be the risk of injury if someone rolled off their ball or was horsing around.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 13, 2013

I would want every student to have an option. I have a poorly "designed" back and neck and couldn't sit on yoga balls for a long period of time without it being painful.

5. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

May 13, 2013

yeah, I could see kids getting carried away, haha. I think a lot of pre-instruction would be needed on appropriate usage

6. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 13, 2013

I would love to try them out.

7. bison

bison Habitué

May 14, 2013

I used to have one as a chair at my desk, and it got old really fast. The school day is long and sometimes you just need to relax for a minute. That's difficult to do on a yoga ball. I wouldn't use them, or I would offer a choice as JustMe suggested. Plus, they're really fun to bounce on and I don't even think I can resist as an adult.

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 14, 2013

There was a similar thread started a year or two ago.

I'm not a fan. In fact, before reading about the concept here on the forum, I'd never thought about having yoga balls in the classroom.

I am sitting here picturing my 2nd graders rolling off the ball, bouncing up and down, or doing other things.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 14, 2013

Some of the classes in my school use them. At first they gave them to every student but after a workshop from an occupational therapist and a physical therapist, they are used on a case by case basis.

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 14, 2013

Yeah, I've read articles that say that the effect on posture and physical stimulation (i.e. calories burned) are marginal. It might be a neat diversion, but it is certainly not the revolutionary idea that we might be led to believe.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 14, 2013

My children have the option of using them. It really helps the squirmy children. We discussed the rules up front. The ball would be sent home if it was used as a play toy and only the person who brought the ball in was allowed to sit on it. We have had 10 students take the option of the yoga ball this year. No balls have been sent home and there have been no injuries.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 14, 2013

I have the best of both worlds- Hokki stools. Provide the same time of movement yet much more stable than a yoga ball. More kids have fallen off their regular chairs than the stools!

They've really, really worked wonders for my really fidgety and/or ADHD students. The kids love them. They're expensive. We're up to 5 now. Trying to get 2 more through Donors Choose hopefully before this year is over. I've become a huge advocate for active sitting. I'd love to have a class full of them someday!

http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/productListingRpt.asp?CatID=1|FC1024|0

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 14, 2013

Many teachers in my school use them. Parents have to sign permission slips and provide the ball for their child. Students are trained on how to use them, and there haven't been any issues, as far as I know.

Personally, I would only use the ones with the "udders" that help them stand. I see many classrooms with yoga balls rolling all over, and that would drive me nuts.

14. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

May 14, 2013

I was just going to mention the ones with the udders. Generally they're not used often, but occasionally an OT will suggest that a student tries one.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 14, 2013

There are a few people at my school who use them for the whole class... that would drive me nuts.

If I have a kid that needs one, I get one. Sometimes I get two - one for the student who could benefit from it, one so that the rest of the class can take turns.

But I really prefer the inflated seat cushions. Easier management, less distracting, still lets the kid get the wiggles out.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2013

I'd pass on using them with my class. If parents want to have their kids use them at their own home, that's their business. I wouldn't want to do something that would risk them accidentally rolling & banging their head on something or falling wrong on the floor & hurting themsleves. There's already enough to worry about.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 15, 2013

Sounds like fun on paper, but I cannot even begin to imagine that in my classroom. I have to remind students so many times not to lean back in their chairs, because I don't want them getting hurt. Plus, I have some that squirm around and can't keep still on a stationary chair. What would happen if they had a big, colorful ball to roll around on? Plus, what happens when they get up? The balls just roll around for others to bump into? Trip over?

Again, it sounds like some fun, but just not practical with my students.

18. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

May 15, 2013

I have them for my entire class and I would hate to go back to regular chairs. You do need to set parameters- gentle bouncing only and no rolling on your back or stomach.

I teach 2nd graders and have had no real issues with the chairs. In fact the biggest issue I've had to deal with are all the "ball" jokes from other staff members.:lol:

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 15, 2013

I had about 5 or 6 in each classroom 2nd-6th grade at my last school- the ones with the "utters" so they didn't roll over. The 6th graders wrote up a proposal listing the benefits, and when the school agreed, they went into each classroom and discussed proper usage. At first every student wanted to sit on it but eventually the excitement died down and only a few kids used the seats.

I never had an issue except when I had a student decide he wanted to be a smarta$$ and popped it. That was a one time thing, and totally out of the ordinary-every day the kids were respectful of them because they knew they would lose them otherwise.

I think it definitely helped the squirmy kids. Eventually the squirmy ones regulated themselves enough to use them only when necessary.

At my current school, we have a few of these ergonomic chairs, but only in the upper elementary classes. These also help the squirmy kids without the "bounce" of the yoga balls.

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 16, 2013

Not saying yoga balls would fix the issue cause I wouldn't want them in my classroom either...but the kids that squirm in the stationary chair might just be more squirmy because the chair is stationary! Think of every other chair that people sit in all day in long in work or home offices. They usually recline or rock to some degree and have wheels on the bottom. People are constantly moving in them. Yet we give our kids these uncomfortable plastic or metal stationary chairs to sit in. When I want to get work done I'm sitting in a chair like that or on the couch, definitely not on my wooden dining room chair. Just a thought...

21. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 16, 2013

I so agree with this. When I was young, I couldn't wait until dinner time was over and I could move out of the dining room chairs and into the comfortable chairs in the living room. I don't blame the students for not wanting to sit in those chairs for long periods of time. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

22. Eurydike

Eurydike Rookie

May 16, 2013

I would probably fall off if I had to use that instead of a chair...

23. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 16, 2013

My wiggly son used one at his at home desk for years. School wouldn't let him take it in. He loved it at home....and was far less wiggly there then in a standard boring stationary chair.